[Written] Rusted Archetype: Effect monsters in the Extra Deck!

Eu Sou A Fazenda

Yes, you saw the title correct: An Archetype whose main gimmick is adding its main deck, non-pendulum monsters into the Extra Deck.

Now, am I creating a new mechanic? No, no I arent. And I can prove that. According to the Official Rulebook, Page 50, Section 5:

 Rules VS Card Effects

If there is a discrepancy between the basic rules and a card’s effect, the card effect takes precedence. For example, a monster can only attack once per turn, but with a card effect, it is possible to attack twice.

This means that, despite an Effect Monster not being able to be placed on the Extra Deck during deck making, a card effect could place it there. Now, you might ask about the interaction with Pendulum Cards. All the effects that add monsters to the Extra Deck does so face-down. That is important due to the rulings behind the Extra Deck Pendulum cards; according to the rulings, at the start of the game they are face-down in the Extra Deck and cant be pendulum summoned, but after being destroyed they go face-up in the extra deck, being able to be Pendulum Summoned. Because of that, its safe to say that its not the fact they are a pendulum monster that they can be Pendulum Summoned, but because they are face-up on the Extra Deck. So no, the monsters I will show to yours wont be able to be pendulum summoned, but because they go face-down into the Extra Deck. Does this mean that a face-up monster in the Extra Deck could be pendulum summoned? ...Err, yeah, I guess. But its not the topic of today and there arent cards that add monsters face-up to the Extra Deck in this archetype. So, with rulings out of the way, lets show the guys!

Rusted Core

Level 1 Effect Monster

EARTH / Rock

0 ATK / 0 DEF

"If this card is sent from the field into the GY, shuffle it into the Extra Deck face-down. If this card is in the Extra Deck, you can banish face-down 5 other cards from the Extra Deck; summon this card."

This card nicely sets the scene: a level 1 combo piece. It was going to have a "You can only summon 'Rusted' monsters this turn", but then it would get realy unusefull (the archetype dosnt have any Extra Deck monsters btw), and it being a Rock realy helps to control Summon Sorcerer combos. The fact it also banishes cards from the Extra Deck means that you also cant go quite far with it if you do place it in a more combo deck.

Rusted Cat

Level 2 Effect Monster

EARTH / Rock

1000 ATK / 1500 DEF

"If you dont controll any monsters, you can special summon this card (from your hand). If you do, you can add 1 'Rusted' monster from your deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of 'Rusted Cat' once per turn."

A neat searcher, can give some consistecy and help swarming. Not much to say here tbh, but he's nice to have.

Rusted Archer

Level 4 Effect Monster

EARTH / Rock

2000 ATK / 1500 DEF

"Once per turn, you can equip a 'Rusty' monster from your Extra Deck into this card. This card gains half the ATK of the equipped monster. You can send the equipped monster to the GY; destroy a spell/trap your oponent controls"

A monster to use the monsters in the ED, and can beat over a few things, while being able to remove backrow. Mostly an utility unit for the long game tbh, running more than 1 isnt that great. Not sure why I made him, I guess I just like equips.

Rusted Statue

Level 4 Effect Monster

EARTH / Rock

1500 ATK / 2000 DEF

"If you summon a 'Rusted' monster, you can special summon this card (from your hand). If you do, you can draw a card, but you can only summon 'Rusty' monsters for the rest of the turn."

A swarming option, helps with getting tribute for the highyer level monsters. If you summon this off of Cat, you can search the Level 8 to make a Tribute Summon.

Rusted Guardian

Level 4 Effect Monster

EARTH / Rock

1500 ATK / 1500 DEF

"If you tribute summon a monster, you can special summon this card (from your hand). During your main phase, you can Tribute Summon a monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set (you can only gain this effect once per turn)"

Yes, I did decided to make he generic. A version that only let you tribute Rusted monsters was going to be the final version, but I decided against it. Tribute decks dont have much general support, so I felt kind and gave them this. True Dracos can use it? Yeah, but it wont make the deck Tier 1 or anything like that.

Rusted Warrior

Level 6 Effect Monster

EARTH / Rock

2500 ATK / 1000 DEF

"Once per turn, you can tribute a 'Rusted' monster you control; special summon a 'Rusted' monster from your Extra Deck. You can tribute a 'Rusted' monster you control (Quick Effect); destroy a card your oponent cotrolls."

The first tribute monster on the archetye, Rusted Warrior! His first effect gives more use to the monsters in the Extra Deck, using the deck's swarming capabilitys to a better use. His Quick Effect is not an once per turn, giving yet another use for the swarm. But that's not the best, he has a great synergy with...

Rusted Mage

Level 8 Effect Monster

EARTH / Rock

1000 ATK / 3000 DEF

"If a card whose effect was activated on the field isnt on the field during resolution, negate the card's effect. During your End Phase, create a 'Rusted Token' (Level 1, EARTH, Rock, 0 ATK / 0 DEF) in defense position."

Rusted Mage, the second (and last) tribute monster for the deck. The first effect is realy good. It stops cards like Lonefire Blossom, for example. The Token it summons can be tributed with Rusted Warrior for a negate (the pop removes the card from the field, thus being negated by Mage).

Rusted Dragon

Level 10 Effect Moster

EARTH / Rock

3500 ATK / 2000 ATK

"This card cannot be normal summoned/set. This card cannot be Special Summoned (from your hand or Extra Deck) by tributing 3 monsters you control, and cant be special summoned by other ways. Once per turn, you can send a 'Rusted' card from your Deck to your Extra Deck. During your oponent's turn (Quick Effect): You can activate the effect of a 'Rusted' Spell or Trap card in your Extra Deck, if the activation condition is met. If this card is sent to your GY, you can add it to your Extra Deck." 

This card dosnt seem good at first. It requires a lot of tributes for what it does, for a neat gimmick (sending the Spell/Traps to the Extra Deck) that isnt shared with the rest of the archetype. But, upon a closer inspection, this card is actualy realy good. Okay, its not insanely good as the previous 2 cards, but can still be a good boss monster. Like Destiny HERO Diamond Dude, you only activate the effect, withouth paying the cost. This means that cards whose activation requirements are too steppy can be run for him. Secondly, when he uses the Quick Effect, the card dont go to the GY, meaing next turn you can send a different card there, and you will have a second option. And because the spells/traps wont leave the Extra Deck, if you re-summon it or summon a second one, it will have the whole arsenal of cards.

Rusted Findings

Normal Spell Card

"Add a 'Rusted' Monster from your deck to your hand, then add a 'Rusted' Monster to your Extra Deck face-down"

A searcher and combo-maker. Not too much to add here, exept the great combo potential. It also can give lots of resources if you have Dragon on the field.

Rusted Battle

Normal Trap Card

"If your oponent summons a monster and you control a Rusted monster: Send a 'Rusted' monster from your Extra Deck into your GY; the summoned monster and your 'Rusted' monster with the bigger ATK stat battle."

This is a realy unusual Trap Card. While it does make your oponent not have the monster, it dosnt negate the effect, so something like Stratos still searches. But it also burns the oponent (not you), so its a plus, I guess...? Anyhow. I know the cost is a bit too steep, but Rusted Dragon I guess.

Problems Of Being Rusted

Counter Trap Card

"When your oponent activates a monster effect or a Spell/Trap card: Tribute a 'Rusted' monster; negate that activation."

A basic negate. The cost is indeed steppy, considering the Solemn cards (whose cost usualy is LP), but running it means you would give Dragon a negate. Also, note how it dosnt destroy, unlike the Rusted Battle, so depeding on the situation one is better than the other. But the Rusted Battle is probably the least important of the 3 cards for Dragon; you use Negate if you need, Findings at the End Phase if you didnt used the Negate, and Battle if you feel like it, I guess..?

So yeah, those are all the cards. I arent realy good at finishing posts, so yah.

Ok let's start with the fodder monsters

Core - It's fine I guess, though for this archetype overall, you're going to need some buffs in general. One change here is maybe just sending it to the GY, and not requiring for it to be sent fro mthe field to the GY.

Cat - It's fine, decent tool box effect. 

Archer - decent attack stat, but it's too weak as a card. Attack on its own doesn't do much, and a targeted destruction for spell/traps nowadays is pretty weak because no one really sets cards anymore. Trap cards that are used nowadays can be activated right away, and the most impactful spell cards are just normal spells. Guess it's nice to pop what Borreloads would equip, but I dunno.

Statue - Good card, I don't think it needs the drawback. Possible change would be to change the draw to some other effect, perhaps a search or add to hand effect from GY or something if you do change the draw effect.

Guardian - strong card for what you're trying to achieve in this deck

Warrior - Not only do you need to tribute summon this thing, you need to tribute more cards you control to actually use its effect? Seems way too slow, especially when compared to what decks today are capable of

Mage - Wording is really weird, I'm just guessing it's a continuous negation of effects. Doesn't specify who it affects either, so it can hurt you as much as it does your opponent. No protection, especially for a monster that needs two tributes to summon, and the token being summoned at the end phase just increases the likelihood of that effect not being used. It also doesn't do anything on summon, which is usually what makes cards around tribute summoning powerful. Feels way too slow overall

Dragon - This card reminds me of Beatrice in a typical Burning Abyss deck, except it feels a whole lot worse. Not only is it a much bigger pain to get out, it uses waaaay more resources than it would to get out beatrice (which can be a two card combo in BA), and it doesn't look like this deck has the swarming capability to make this card work consistently. It also doesn't have nearly as good of a floater effect, especially for a monster that takes so much more investment. The quick effect not being once per turn also can be insanely broken if your spell/trap cards didn't have insane costs, so in a way, this card existing gimps future spell/trap card design. 

now the spells/traps

Findings - it's fine, typical archetype rota

Rusted battle - Wording is off, do you force your opponent into a battle phase? Or are they forced to battle during the battle phase. Maybe a better wording would be

"If your opponent summons a monster, and you control a "Rusted" monster: Send a "Rusted" monster from your Extra Deck to the GY; Select 1 "Rusted" monster you control, and if it has more ATK points, destroy your opponent's monster and inflict damage to your opponent equal to the difference in ATK points."

I dunno, this card in concept overall just feels underwhelming and is useless unless you have your big boss monster already out. Traditional trap cards nowadays are just meh, and since you want to mill this for your boss monster, it just makes this card that much worse when you draw it.

Problems of being rusted - The tribute cost is very steep, but it can't not have it because Dragon's quick effect isn't once per turn, nor does it look like it has any sort of cost. It's a strong effect, but the cost just kills it. It also doesn't help that it's a traditional trap card

Overall, the archetype just feels very weak. It's a control strat, but it doesn't really stun a lot of options on demand. It doesn't really have the swarming capability to get out it's boss monsters quickly and effectively, and I feel the ED gimmick hasn't been fully realized.

Your mechanic argument is pretty weak. There's a difference between a monster attacking twice and a Main Deck monster being placed in the Extra Deck. What you quoted from the rulebook is simply stating that your cards could work if they were printed, but it's still a new mechanic that literally overrides the original game mechanic of no Main Deck monster going in the Extra Deck and vice versa.

As said before in the main thread, Pendulum argument doesn't need to be said; you're all in the clear there.

Before I get into the problem cards, I think that you have a decent line-up of simple cards and effects here, which ramp up steadily in a nice boss. I kinda like the mechanic you're experimenting with, against my better judgement, and the fact that you go a little beyond by just using simple destruction, searching and drawing here and there, along with even equipping for some reason, is also neat. Add variety and makes its seem more real, you know?

Let's talk about the problem cards now, as there's only a few. Rusted Findings is far too good as a combo maker, especially if you open multiple. I'd say it need a hard once per turn, similar to Frightfur Patchwork, as otherwise its super easy to use, especially with Dragon (as Dragon would ignore its activation restriction regardless).

Speaking of Dragon, I think the fact that he leaves the Spell/Trap he copies in the Extra Deck is rather broken, not to mention the fact that there's once per turn on that effect activation, so if you add Rusted Findings, you can activate it as many times as you want during your opponent's turn. I'd suggest hit both, perhaps shuffle the activated card back into your Deck with a soft once per turn.

Why does Archer have 2000 ATK? All 2000 ATK or higher Level 4 monsters in the current game are either Normal Monsters or have some sort of restriction. Hell, even 1900 ATK monsters sometimes have restrictions, and a monster that gains ATK? I'd put it at most at 1500 ATK, but you already seem to have a lot of 1500 around your Level 4s, so...maybe even lower.

Rusted Battle...is weird. Battling outside of the Battle Phase has only even been done once on a card called Last Turn, which is currently banned in both the TCG and OCG. Honestly, I think it'd be better with just plain removal or negation of some sort.

Back to your mechanic, while I do wish to see your mechanic expanded...right now it feels a little chaotic. You have Tributing from the Extra Deck, banishing, sending from the Extra Deck...I don't really see a theme other than placing in the Extra Deck. I was expecting more banishing after Core, but it really does become a clusterfuck. What exactly did you have in mind when designing this?

Yes, you saw the title correct: An Archetype whose main gimmick is adding its main deck, non-pendulum monsters into the Extra Deck.

Now, am I creating a new mechanic? No, no I arent. And I can prove that. According to the Official Rulebook, Page 50, Section 5:

This means that, despite an Effect Monster not being able to be placed on the Extra Deck during deck making, a card effect could place it there. Now, you might ask about the interaction with Pendulum Cards. All the effects that add monsters to the Extra Deck does so face-down. That is important due to the rulings behind the Extra Deck Pendulum cards; according to the rulings, at the start of the game they are face-down in the Extra Deck and cant be pendulum summoned, but after being destroyed they go face-up in the extra deck, being able to be Pendulum Summoned. Because of that, its safe to say that its not the fact they are a pendulum monster that they can be Pendulum Summoned, but because they are face-up on the Extra Deck. So no, the monsters I will show to yours wont be able to be pendulum summoned, but because they go face-down into the Extra Deck. Does this mean that a face-up monster in the Extra Deck could be pendulum summoned? ...Err, yeah, I guess. But its not the topic of today and there arent cards that add monsters face-up to the Extra Deck in this archetype. So, with rulings out of the way, lets show the guys!

Just want to clear up that these arguments don't hold. The Pendulum Summon mechanic allows you to Summon Pendulum monsters specifically. If non-Pendulum monsters were face-up in the Extra Deck (ED), pretty sure you wouldn't be able to Pendulum Summon them, unless they had a clause written in their text that allows you to do so, in agreement with the rulebook.

But as you say, it's not the main topic since your archetype put maindeck monsters in the ED face-down anyway.

I don't see much to add that has not been already addressed by the previous 2 users. If anything, I have a concern on Core's effect: If it's face-down, it wouldn't be able to use its effect, just like how cards banished face-down won't trigger any when-banished effects. You would have to add an addictional condition on the effect, like "while this card is face-down in your Extra Deck: [insert effect here]"

I don't see much to add that has not been already addressed by the previous 2 users. If anything, I have a concern on Core's effect: If it's face-down, it wouldn't be able to use its effect, just like how cards banished face-down won't trigger any when-banished effects. You would have to add an addictional condition on the effect, like "while this card is face-down in your Extra Deck: [insert effect here]"

Not entirely true. Trigger effects such as Absolute Zero and Bujintei Tsukoyumi activate when returned to the Extra Deck, although we have yet to have a Quick Effect do something like that.

Archived