Marauding Captain Support - Pirate Archetype! (13/?)

Major's Shadow

Hey Everyone!

It's been quite awhile since I last posted on here, but I had a lot of fun working on a new archetype & wanted to share it with you all! It's supposed to revolve around Marauding Captain, which is a very old generic support card that deserved some love. Also, who doesn't love pirates?! This archetype is designed to be competitively viable for the link format (even if the archetype currently does not have a link monster), so it'll be at a naturally higher power level. I hope you all enjoy & don't hesitate to provide some constructive feedback!

Update 11/13/18: Released archetype w/ 12 cards currently revealed.

Update 11/16/18: Added "Marauding Navigator" (Link Monster). Fixed missing attributes on card descriptions (Will update images later).

[spoiler=Monsters]

[spoiler=Effect]

[spoiler=Marauding First Mate]9q0skgS.jpg

Level 4/ Warrior/EARTH/Effect/ ATK 1700/ DEF 1200

You can treat this card as a Level 3 monster towards the Special Summon of another Warrior-type monster. If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can add 1 "Marauding" card from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Marauding First Mate" once per turn.

[spoiler=Marauding Boatswain]f6hNCMh.jpg

Level 4/Warrior/EARTH/Effect/ ATK 1600/ DEF 700

You can treat this card as a Level 3 monster towards the Special Summon of another Warrior-type monster. If your Opponent controls more monster(s) than you do: You can Special Summon this card (from your hand). If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can add 1 "Marauding" monster from your Deck to your hand, except "Marauding Boatswain". You can only use each effect of "Marauding Boatswain" once per turn. You cannot Special Summon monsters, except Warrior-Type monsters, during the turn either effect is used.

[spoiler=Marauding Gunner]lDBOZyS.jpg

Level 4/Warrior/EARTH/Effect/ ATK 1700/ DEF 1200

You can treat this card as a Level 3 monster towards the Special Summon of another Warrior-type monster. If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can target face-up card(s) your Opponent controls, up to the number of other "Marauding" monsters you control; destroy them. Monsters you control cannot attack directly the turn this effect is used. You can only use this effect of "Marauding Gunner" once per turn.

[spoiler=Marauding Powder Lackey]DzXoEjL.jpg

Level 4/Warrior/EARTH/Tuner/Effect/ ATK 1100/ DEF 900

You can treat this card as a Level 4 monster towards the Special Summon of another Warrior-type monster. If you control only Warrior-Type monster(s) (min. 1): You can Special Summon this card (from your hand). You can only use this effect of "Marauding Powder Lackey" once per turn. You cannot Special Summon monsters, except "Marauding" monsters, while this card is face-up on the field. 

[spoiler=Marauding Quartermaster]yGFyRTR.jpg

Level 4/ Warrior/EARTH/Effect/ ATK 1400/ DEF 1600

You can treat this card as a Level 3 monster towards the Special Summon of another Warrior-type monster. If this card is Normal or Special Summoned, you can choose one of the following effects. You can only use this effect of "Marauding Quartermaster" once per turn:
*Special Summon1 Level 4 or lower Warrior-Type monster from your Hand.
*Add 1 "Marauding" monster from your Graveyard to your hand, except "Marauding Quartermaster".

[spoiler=Marauding Sailing Master]pP83d0X.jpg

Level 4/Warrior/EARTH/Effect/ ATK 1300/ DEF 1000
You can treat this card as a Level 3 monster towards the Special Summon of another Warrior-type monster. If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can discard 1 card; Special Summon 1 "Marauding" monster from your Deck, except "Marauding Sailing Master". You cannot Special Summon monsters, except Warrior-Type monsters, during the turn this effect is used. You can only use this effect of "Marauding Sailing Master" once per turn.

[spoiler=Extra Deck]

[spoiler=Marauding Ash Conquerer]p8j0DxD.jpg

Rank 3/Warrior/DARK/XYZ/Effect/ATK 2000/ DEF 1000

2 Lvl. 3 Warrior-Type Monsters
If this card is Special Summoned: You can have this card gain 1000 ATK this turn only, but it cannot attack directly. You can detach 1 Xyz Material; Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower Warrior-Type monster from your hand. If you Normal or Special Summon a Warrior-Type monster(s): You can target 1 face-up card on the field; return it to the hand. You can only use each effect of "Marauding Ash Conquerer" once per turn.

[spoiler=Marauding Ash Captain]1aQwkAW.jpg

Rank 4/Warrior/DARK/XYZ/Effect/ ATK 2200/ DEF 800
2 or more Level 4 Warrior-Type Monsters
If this card is Special Summoned: You can have this card gain 1000 ATK this turn only, but it cannot attack directly. You can detach 1 Xyz Material; Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower Warrior-Type monster from your hand. If you Normal or Special Summon another Warrior-Type monster(s): You can target 1 set card your Opponent controls; banish it. You can only use each effect of "Marauding Ash Captain" once per turn.

[spoiler=Marauding Navigator]2GNyHXJ.png

Warrior/EARTH/Link 2/Effect/ ATK 1200/ Points: Left Corner, Down, Up
2 Warrior-Type Monsters
Gains 300 ATK for each monster this card points to. If this card is Special Summoned: You can target 1 "Marauding" monster you control and 1 face-up Attack Position monster your opponent controls; the opponent's monster loses ATK equal to the ATK of your "Marauding" monster targeted by this effect, until the End Phase. If this card inflicts Battle Damage: You can add 1 "Marauding" Spell/Trap card from your Deck to your hand. You can only use each effect of "Marauding Navigator" once per turn.

[spoiler=Spells/Traps]

[spoiler=Spells]

[spoiler=Lullaby For A Marauding Pirate]UF6618F.jpg

Quick-Play Spell

If you control only "Marauding" monsters (min. 1): for the rest of the turn after this card resolves, your Opponent cannot negate the summon or activated effects of "Marauding" monsters you control. You can only activate "Marauding" Spell/Trap cards during the turn this effect is used. During your turn, except the turn this card was sent to the GY: You can banish this card and 1 "Marauding" monster from your GY; Add 1 "Marauding" monster with the same name as that banished monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only use each effect of "Lullaby For A Marauding Pirate" once per turn.

[spoiler=Thrill Of The Marauding Crew]8zEdcKF.jpg

Quick-Play Spell

If you only control Warrior-Type monster(s) (min. 1): all monsters you control gain 1000 ATK, also they cannot attack directly this turn. During your turn, except the turn this card was sent to the GY: You can banish this card, then target 3 "Marauding" cards with different names in your GY; shuffle them into the deck, then draw 1 card. You can only use each effect of "Thrill Of The Marauding Crew" once per turn.

[spoiler=A Familiar Town For Marauding Folk]eaG7oKz.jpg

Field Spell

If this card is removed from the field by an Opponent's card effect: You can target 1 other "Marauding" card in your GY; add it to your hand. During your Main Phase, You can apply any of the following effect(s) in any order, based on the number of "Marauding" monster(s) you control. You can only use this effect of "A Familiar Town For Marauding Folk" once per turn:
*1) "Marauding" monster(s) you control gain 500ATK.
*2) During your Main Phase, You can Normal Summon 1 "Marauding" monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set this turn (You can only gain this effect once per turn).
*3) "Marauding" monster(s) you control cannot be targeted by, or destroyed by, an Opponent's card effects this turn.
*4) Add 1 of your banished "Marauding" cards to your Hand.
*5) Discard 1 "Marauding" card, then Draw 2 cards.
*6) Send all Spell/Trap cards your Opponent controls to the GY. Your monsters cannot attack directly this turn.

[spoiler=Traps]

[spoiler=When Marauding Pirates Collide!]J1Fj0L6.jpg

Counter Trap

If you control no other set cards, you can activate this card from your hand. If your Opponent activates a card or effect that includes destroying and/or removing a card(s) you control, while you control a "Marauding" monster (min. 1): negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it. If this card was originally set after it was activated, your Opponent cannot activate or use the effect(s) of cards with that name until the end of your next turn. You can only activate 1 "When Marauding Pirates Collide!" per turn.

hatsune_miku_by_ines50-d92m0g3.png

~YugsterMajor

Looks like it has an effective structure to me. A lot of search and swarm power that makes it stale, but I guess that's what it takes nowadays to threat the top tiers. And you do spice it up with some disruptive power here and there, like in the Xyzs and Gunner. Overall, I think they would simply end up as an Extra-Link combo deck like Goukis.

If there is anything I don't like, is the theme, actually. Pretty sure Marauding Captain is affiliated with a Knight order, army or squad, and yet these are pirates, so they don't really follow the theme of Marauding Captain. Also the "You can treat this card as a Level 4 monster for the Special Summon of a Warrior monster" effect is a bit off-putting. I get that, if I understand the effect correctly, you want to access both Rank3 and Rank4 Xyz pools, but feels a bit like an overkill to me when they all could have been Level/Rank3.

okay let the review begin! 

Marauding First Mate: the search engine of the special summon combo! (basically beat for the swarming fur hire.) 

Marauding Boatswain: Love this effect; means you get a free summon for nothing and if your playing second to a fast first turn player you are gonna need that. the restoration effect allows you to pick up: Marauding Powder Lackey / Marauding Quatermaster and combo 3 cards! like it! The once per turn is needed as this would surely be abused! 

Marauding Gunner: the fact the cards have to be face up saves it from being broken (you can tell that you have really focused on getting the balence right with these cards!) It could still be quite op as this is a swarm archetype and you can easily destroy 3 cards however with the amount of effect negation / protection in the game it is justified! 

Marauding Powder Lackey: a blackwing esc engine there! they got away with secondary effects on special summon, so why cant this! even if its just a simple effect like all warrior type monsters gain 300ATK until the end phase of this cards special summon. You have limitted yourself to only special summoning marauder monsters so the ffect can be more flexible in my opinion! :)

Marauding Quartermaster just an improved option to the original captain himself! the fact you can replen from the graveyard is also nice as well as you will be using alot of your hand very quickly to pull of special summons; thats probably going to be one of the key cards to the deck!

Marauding Sailing Master: this is probably the most overpowered one of the effect monsters, even though it limits to special summoning a marauder monster! The fact that the special summon is open to warrior type monsters as a whole makes me think that hey would be ran as a hybrid with another warrior type archtype to bring as much value as possible to link and xyz summons! that being said you are discarding a card to pull this off and as I have previously said hand resources could be quite an issue with a fast paced swarm deck like this so it kind of balences it out! (despite the fact you could easily get 3 monsters out with this effect! 

xyzs: really like the archetype effect brw, means you can really utilise xyz summons, nice little niche!

Marauding Ash Conquerer: okay now I like the concept of this card, the not being able to attack directly balances out the 3000 atk however the fact that you havent limitted the effect to when this cards effect summoning a monster and returning to the hand it is quite busted! you can easily swarm 2/3 cards out a turn with this archetype, 3 hands return to the hand a turn is op for a rank 3 xyz monster; (IMO) especially as the arcetype effect means you can summon this straight off the bat with 2 summons!

Marauding Ash Captain: again same effect but with spell/ trap destruction...you are more likely to get away with this card being just overpowered as it only destroys spell or traps; although it is basically a heavy storm. I would limit it as I said to special summoned with this cards effect (if thats intended allready I apologise :))

Lullaby For A Marauding Pirate: Lullaby For A Marauding Pirate nice! you can use this to pop the trap card if they try and destroy any of your monsters on the turn you set it! with the lullaby protection you are pretty much garenteed to keep your monsters on the field the turn its played! the limitation to maurauding spell and traps is needed as this is quite a powerful card in a way (no where near broken) last effect is nice, the fact you cannot pop the secondary effect that turn is needed! the effect itself is really useful and keeps resources up in the hand (which I said was my biggest worry)

Thrill Of The Marauding Crew : really good support!!! the pot of avarice effect is so strong with this arch type! the atack boost is a nice extra defence mechanism as well!

A Familiar Town For Marauding Folk : you know allready I will like the first effect ;)1) = will never get used so I think thats justified! 2) could massively break this archetype... it was in my opinion quite balenced before but this would definately allow a full swarm and make you able to get out probably both xyzs monsters in a turn! 3) justified! You cna get away with this purely as I dont really think there will be a time where you have any more than 3 on the field unless you pop it before link summon! nice protection although I think you have covered that amongst the other spell and traps! 4) will never be used, seems quite pointless to me! I would swap this with effect 5! maybe replace this effect 5 with something like banish one marauding monster you control and one from the gy; link summon one appropriate Marauding XYZ monster from your Extra deck or GY? 

When Marauding Pirates Collide! Nice protection aspect! its fast paced sumoning and cards like this will make a clear difference!

Overall: It is clear that you have looked into this fully. You have balenced a what easily could have been broken archetype, highlighted the areas that need progression and added them in with spell, trap and monster effects and your OCG looks absoloutely insane. Idea wise I think you have really made this work! I was a bit dubious when I started reading that it was going to be a marauding set but you have genuinely suprised me! 

Probably the best set I have read in a while! Look forward to seeing more!

~MK

Thanks a bundle for the review! I genuinely appreciate your feedback, glad to know I can still do a decent job balancing after so long haha.~

I did notice you mentioned that the XYZ's could bounce or pop 3 cards in a turn, but all of them are hard OPT effects. You cannot do a mass board wipe w/ a single XYZ monster, don't worry, I paid attention to that haha.

Wasn't too sure how to balance out the Field spell, since the deck can easily make a massive board & I didn't want to reward that too much w/ a single card. Figured if you're using the 2) effect first, you won't gain the additional benefits that turn.

Thank you for your time!

- YugsterMajor

okay let the review begin! 

Marauding First Mate: the search engine of the special summon combo! (basically beat for the swarming fur hire.) 

Marauding Boatswain: Love this effect; means you get a free summon for nothing and if your playing second to a fast first turn player you are gonna need that. the restoration effect allows you to pick up: Marauding Powder Lackey / Marauding Quatermaster and combo 3 cards! like it! The once per turn is needed as this would surely be abused! 

Marauding Gunner: the fact the cards have to be face up saves it from being broken (you can tell that you have really focused on getting the balence right with these cards!) It could still be quite op as this is a swarm archetype and you can easily destroy 3 cards however with the amount of effect negation / protection in the game it is justified! 

Marauding Powder Lackey: a blackwing esc engine there! they got away with secondary effects on special summon, so why cant this! even if its just a simple effect like all warrior type monsters gain 300ATK until the end phase of this cards special summon. You have limitted yourself to only special summoning marauder monsters so the ffect can be more flexible in my opinion! :)

Marauding Quartermaster just an improved option to the original captain himself! the fact you can replen from the graveyard is also nice as well as you will be using alot of your hand very quickly to pull of special summons; thats probably going to be one of the key cards to the deck!

Marauding Sailing Master: this is probably the most overpowered one of the effect monsters, even though it limits to special summoning a marauder monster! The fact that the special summon is open to warrior type monsters as a whole makes me think that hey would be ran as a hybrid with another warrior type archtype to bring as much value as possible to link and xyz summons! that being said you are discarding a card to pull this off and as I have previously said hand resources could be quite an issue with a fast paced swarm deck like this so it kind of balences it out! (despite the fact you could easily get 3 monsters out with this effect! 

xyzs: really like the archetype effect brw, means you can really utilise xyz summons, nice little niche!

Marauding Ash Conquerer: okay now I like the concept of this card, the not being able to attack directly balances out the 3000 atk however the fact that you havent limitted the effect to when this cards effect summoning a monster and returning to the hand it is quite busted! you can easily swarm 2/3 cards out a turn with this archetype, 3 hands return to the hand a turn is op for a rank 3 xyz monster; (IMO) especially as the arcetype effect means you can summon this straight off the bat with 2 summons!

Marauding Ash Captain: again same effect but with spell/ trap destruction...you are more likely to get away with this card being just overpowered as it only destroys spell or traps; although it is basically a heavy storm. I would limit it as I said to special summoned with this cards effect (if thats intended allready I apologise :))

Lullaby For A Marauding Pirate: Lullaby For A Marauding Pirate nice! you can use this to pop the trap card if they try and destroy any of your monsters on the turn you set it! with the lullaby protection you are pretty much garenteed to keep your monsters on the field the turn its played! the limitation to maurauding spell and traps is needed as this is quite a powerful card in a way (no where near broken) last effect is nice, the fact you cannot pop the secondary effect that turn is needed! the effect itself is really useful and keeps resources up in the hand (which I said was my biggest worry)

Thrill Of The Marauding Crew : really good support!!! the pot of avarice effect is so strong with this arch type! the atack boost is a nice extra defence mechanism as well!

A Familiar Town For Marauding Folk : you know allready I will like the first effect ;)1) = will never get used so I think thats justified! 2) could massively break this archetype... it was in my opinion quite balenced before but this would definately allow a full swarm and make you able to get out probably both xyzs monsters in a turn! 3) justified! You cna get away with this purely as I dont really think there will be a time where you have any more than 3 on the field unless you pop it before link summon! nice protection although I think you have covered that amongst the other spell and traps! 4) will never be used, seems quite pointless to me! I would swap this with effect 5! maybe replace this effect 5 with something like banish one marauding monster you control and one from the gy; link summon one appropriate Marauding XYZ monster from your Extra deck or GY? 

When Marauding Pirates Collide! Nice protection aspect! its fast paced sumoning and cards like this will make a clear difference!

Overall: It is clear that you have looked into this fully. You have balenced a what easily could have been broken archetype, highlighted the areas that need progression and added them in with spell, trap and monster effects and your OCG looks absoloutely insane. Idea wise I think you have really made this work! I was a bit dubious when I started reading that it was going to be a marauding set but you have genuinely suprised me! 

Probably the best set I have read in a while! Look forward to seeing more!

~MK

First off, thank you sincerely for reviewing my archetype!

I agree, there's a very real possibility that they could become an Extra Link combo centric deck. The idea was to give them more recursion & power in exchange for less flexibility (restrictions to Warrior-Type & Marauding monsters exclusively). In a similar way that Draco is a powerful archetype that has some splashability into other archetypes, this is where I imagined Marauding cards would fit best, since the original Marauding Captain was a very flexible, generic card in its own right.

I should have looked a little more closely at the theme. I could easily change the theme to marine-men or royal guard instead of pirates, but I guess I just really wanted to make pirates haha. The additional level flexibility is to give them a bit more flavor & toolbox for Synchro & XYZ, since a lot of the archetype restricts to only Warrior-Type monsters. Figured since Links are powerful w/o needing those mechanics, you could at least give the XYZ & Synchro aspects a bit more consistency.

Thanks again for your time!

- YugsterMajor

Looks like it has an effective structure to me. A lot of search and swarm power that makes it stale, but I guess that's what it takes nowadays to threat the top tiers. And you do spice it up with some disruptive power here and there, like in the Xyzs and Gunner. Overall, I think they would simply end up as an Extra-Link combo deck like Goukis.

If there is anything I don't like, is the theme, actually. Pretty sure Marauding Captain is affiliated with a Knight order, army or squad, and yet these are pirates, so they don't really follow the theme of Marauding Captain. Also the "You can treat this card as a Level 4 monster for the Special Summon of a Warrior monster" effect is a bit off-putting. I get that, if I understand the effect correctly, you want to access both Rank3 and Rank4 Xyz pools, but feels a bit like an overkill to me when they all could have been Level/Rank3.

Archived