Gadget Support

Ultimagamer

This was some support I thought of based around revamping the original Gadget strategy of swarming the field and making rank 4 monsters. 

Please leave your thoughts below :D 

[spoiler=Main Deck Monsters]

Orange Gadget

Level 4 / Earth / Machine / Effect

Attack: 1300 / Defense: 1500

During the turn you Summon this card, you cannot Special Summon Monsters, except Machine-Type Monsters. If you control a Machine-Type Monster, except “Purple Gadget”: you can Special Summon this card from your hand. You can only use this effect of “Orange Gadget” once per turn. If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: you can add 1 “Blue Gadget” from your Deck to your hand.

Blue Gadget

Attack: 1200 / Defense: 1200

During the turn you Summon this card, you cannot Special Summon Monsters, except Machine-Type Monsters. If you control a Machine-Type Monster, except “Orange Gadget”: you can Special Summon this card from your hand. You can only use this effect of “Blue Gadget” once per turn. If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: you can add 1 “Purple Gadget” from your Deck to your hand.

Purple Gadget

Attack: 1400 / Defense: 600

During the turn you Summon this card, you cannot Special Summon Monsters, except Machine-Type Monsters. If you control a Machine-Type Monster, except “Blue Gadget”: you can Special Summon this card from your hand. You can only use this effect of “Purple Gadget” once per turn. If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: you can add 1 “Orange Gadget” from your Deck to your hand.

[spoiler=Clarification of the Card Texts of Orange, Blue, and Purple Gadget]

As long as you control a machine-type monster that is not the one listed on it's text, you can special summon them from your hand. 

Orange Gadget for example, if you control Gold Gadget and Purple Gadget, you can special summon the Orange Gadget from your hand since you control a machine-type monster that is not Purple Gadget, even though you do control Purple Gadget. 

Bronze Gadget

Level 4 / Light / Machine / Effect

Attack: 1400 / Defense: 1000

During your Main Phase: you can tribute this card; Special Summon 1 Level 4 “Gadget” Monster from your Deck, except “Bronze Gadget”. During your Main Phase, if this card is in your GY: you can banish this card from your GY; detach 1 Xyz Material from a Machine-Type Xyz Monster you control, and if you do, add 1 “Gadget” Spell/Trap card from your Deck to your hand. You can only use 1 effect of “Bronze Gadget” per turn, and only once that turn.

[spoiler=Extra Deck Monsters]

Sapphire Gadget

Rank 4 / Earth / Machine / Xyz / Effect

Attack: 2100 / Defense: 1500

2 Level 4 Machine-Type Monsters

Once per turn, during either players turn: you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 Spell/Trap card your opponent controls; destroy that target, then if your opponent controls a Monster(s), decrease the ATK of all of those Monsters by 100 for each “Gadget” Monster with a different name in your GY.

Ruby Gadget

Attack: 2200 / Defense: 1500

Once per turn: you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 Monster your opponent controls; destroy that target, and if you do, take damage equal to the original ATK of the Monster detached from this card to activate this effect, and if you do that, inflict an equal amount of damage to your opponent.

Emerald Gadget

Attack: 2300 / Defense: 1500  

Once per turn, during either players turn: you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 3 Machine-Type Monsters that are either banished or in your GY; shuffle all of them into the Deck, then draw 1 card. After this effect resolves, if all of the Monsters returned to the Deck by this effect had the same Level/Rank, you can return an additional 2 Machine-Type Monsters from your GY or banished cards to your Deck.

Diamond Gadget

Link 3 / Earth / Machine / Link / Effect

Link Materials: 2+ “Gadget” Monsters

Link Markers: Bottom Left, Bottom, Bottom Right

Attack: 2500  

Cannot be used as Link Material. If this card is Link Summoned: you can target 1 Rank 4 Machine-Type Xyz Monster in your GY; Special Summon that target to your zone this card points to, then you can attach up to 2 Level 4 “Gadget” Monsters from your hand to that card as Xyz Materials. You can only use this effect of "Diamond Gadget" once per turn. Machine-Type Xyz Monsters this card points to gain the following effect.

• Once per turn: you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; Special Summon 1 Level 4 “Gadget” Monster from your hand or GY.

[spoiler=Spell and Trap Cards]

Factory of the Gadgets

Spell - Field

All Machine-Type Monsters and Xyz Monsters you control gain 200 ATK. If the effect of a Level 4 “Gadget” Monster you control would add exactly 1 Monster from your Deck to your hand, you can add that Monster from your GY to your hand instead.

Mass Production of the Gadgets

Spell - Continuous

Each time exactly 1 Level 4 Machine-Type “Gadget” Monster is added from your Deck or GY to your hand, except by drawing it: you can Special Summon that Monster from your hand. You cannot Special Summon Monsters from your Extra Deck during the turn you activate this effect, except Machine-Type Monsters.

Gadget Recharge

Spell - Normal

Target 5 of any of the following cards in your GY and/or banished cards; shuffle all of them into your Deck, then draw 1 card. 

• Level 4 “Gadget” Monsters

• “Gadget” Spell/Trap cards

• Rank 4 Machine-Type Xyz Monsters

During your Main Phase, except the turn this card was sent to the GY: you can banish this card from your GY, immediately after this effect resolves, Normal Summon 1 Level 4 “Gadget” Monster from your hand. You can only use each effect of “Gadget Recharge” once per turn.

Gadget Surplus

Trap - Continuous

When this card is activated: you can target 2 Level/Rank 4 “Gadget” Monsters with different names in your GY; Special Summon them. You can only use this effect of “Gadget Surplus” once per turn. While you control this face-up card, you cannot Special Summon Monsters, except Machine-Type Monsters. Once per turn, during either players Main Phase: you can attach 1 Level/Rank 4 “Gadget” Monster from your hand or GY to a Rank 4 Machine-Type Xyz Monster you control as an Xyz Material.

[spoiler=Clarification of Gadget Surplus's Text]

This card's effect to special summon monsters in order to be activated, similar to "Crusadia Vanguard" in that it's effect to special summon is optional and doesn't need to resolve for the card to be activated. It's on-field once per turn effect can still be activated even if it's first effect does not activate or resolve. 

Welp, haven't done a review in awhile, so let's do it! I'll be organizing the review by taking a look at each card individually, then making a final conclusion at the end. Here we go:

[spoiler=Card Reviews]

Monsters:

Orange Gadget, Blue Gadget, Purple Gadget:

I'm lumping all 3 of these monsters, since they all have practically the same effect. There are a few mechanical problems w/ these cards, which I'll list here:

1. Only the SS of the cards is restricted to a hard OPT, meaning you can loop the searching effects with other potential effects that SS these cards from the hand, Deck or GY. Now normally this wouldn't be a problem, since the original Red, Green & Yellow gadgets are not OPT either, but these cards are objectively better in every way. Not having that restriction means there are possible infinite loops that could happen with cards like Firewall Dragon.
  2. The restriction is SUPER easy to get around, cause you can just link off the materials with a Machine-type monster, then since that link monster has no further restrictions, you can proceed with the remainder of your combos. This means a single normal summon can extend into a free link 3, which you can use any other monsters in your archetype to proceed with the remainder of your combo.
  3. The restriction is only for Link monsters, meaning you can use any Rank 4 monsters in the game, use their abilities & link them away. Again, just super easy to avoid this downside.
  4. they're WAY too consistent! Since all of them are free SS's that search one another, you can get an established board with hardly any prior investment needed. I'm not a big fan of this aspect.

Maybe if these cards had a hard OPT on all their effects or restricted to only Machine-type monsters for the turn, it'd be more tolerable. As they stand, it's way too powerful & easily splashable.

Bronze Gadget:

Overall powerful utility card, further consistency for the Purple, Orange & Blue engine w/ additional benefits in the GY. If there was no further support for this archetype, I'd say it'd be high tier or even top tier in power level, just due to its consistency & swarm potential. It'd be a perfectly acceptable card standalone w/ the current gadgets released, but under the context of the remaining support cards included, I'd argue it's overkill.

Sapphire Gadget:

Generic Speed 2 Spell/Trap removal, which I'd argue is worse than Tornado Dragon Still, if you have enough Gadgets in your grave, could help support some kind of OTK strategy or help your level 4 monsters beat over an Opponent's board. There are better options available in the Rank 4 pool, but it's decent if you're somehow restricted to Machine-type monsters.

Ruby Gadget:

It's speed 2 removal w/ burn attached. Gotta say I'm not a fan. I'd probably be okay with it, so long as it was a Speed 1 effect, but being Speed 2, you could easily just kill your Opponent during their turn after inflicting battle damage during your turn. Destruction is generally a weaker form of removal, but any form of Speed 2 removal on a 2200 body is good enough, especially when it comes w/ burn (which feels like it belongs more on a Ring of Destruction flavored card rather than a Gadget card).

Emerald Gadget:

Speed 2 Non-OPT shuffle & draw, w/ a free non-target pop? Just seems like a better Saphire Gadget, and helps you achieve infinites w/ stupid amounts of card advantage & free destruction (considering you're running a lot of level 4 machines, which would be obvious in a Gadget deck). I get the flavor you're trying to go for w/ the semi-generic XYZ cards that get better when you use Gadgets towards their effects, but this feels like overkill.

Diamond Gadget:

It's good to see a Machine-Type Link 3 support this archetype, however, having 3 link zones available to summon 3 XYZ's for a link 3 is pretty bonkers on its own, even w/o any effects. However, they also include free SSing effects for just summoning any Machine-Type XYZ monster. Since none of the Gadgets are OPT effects, this means you can practically go infinite by just summoning, linking, re-summoning, re-linking, recycling, etc. etc. Again, seems really overkill.

Spells/Traps:

Factory of The Gadgets:

This is a nice utility card that allows you to recycle resources w/ Gadgets. One of the biggest problems Gadgets had was when you ran out of targets to search for & loose advantage off of that. This is a nice way of recurring resources w/o having to use your maindeck. However, just getting a free Gadget by activating the card after establishing a board means you can recur all of your lost resources. Ex:

Activate Factory, add Orange. Orange Normal Summon, add Purple from Grave. Purple SS, add Blue from Grave. Link Summon, SS Blue, add Orange from Grave, rinse repeat.

It's probably the closest to being a balanced card amongst the introduced support.

Mass Production Of The Gadgets:

At the very least, this has a Machine-Type restriction. However, with all the Gadget support introduced, you can essentially go infinite. Here's a few ways:

1) Recycle your resources w/ Emerald repeatedly, use Blue, Purple & Orange to keep adding one-another over & over again.

2) Have Factory on-board, consistently add from Grave, SS & use Blue, Purple & Orange to keep re-adding one another over & over again.

There are more examples, but I think you get the point.

Gadget Recharge:

This card is really nicely balanced. It's a less powerful Jar of Avarice that recycles all of the resources in the archetype (w/ a hard OPT). It also comes w/ an additional normal summon built in, but it's a GY effect that you have to wait a turn on, which works well in-context w/ the rest of the deck. I'd probably make both the GY and activated effects OPT, just so it's clear that you can't have multiple copies of this card in the Grave and gain 3 additional Normal Summons next turn (an extreme example, but it could happen).

Gadget Surplus:

An additional form of recursion for the deck which enables you to use your extremely powerful Speed 2 XYZ effects? Pretty insane, since it rewards you for swarming the board further by having enough targets in the grave to make this function. It's a nice tech, and I like how its OPT for attaching materials, so you can't abuse the Speed 2 effects too heavily. Very powerful card, but if the cards surrounding it were a bit more fair, I'd say it'd be balanced enough.

Conclusion:

The archetype is way too powerful. There are unrestricted tools that are easily splashable into other archetypes, which allow you to link climb for free & constantly recycle. I get the idea of having powerful Machine-Type support, but a lack of summoning restrictions on many of the core monsters makes it too easy to just include an engine that gets you free SS's w/o any investment. Even if you're playing just pure, you're getting spell/trap cards that enable constant resources & board swarming, w/ speed 2 recycling & destruction. From what I can see, there aren't many weaknesses to the archetype, and just feels like Zoodiac 2.0. There's some good ideas sprinkled in-between, but I'd advise looking into retooling the archetype to make it more balanced. Changing any one (or multiple) of these aspects could help:

• Have the archetype restrict itself so the power of their individual effects is more justified
  • Have the archetype include more hard OPT clauses, so you can't constantly abuse the same effect multiple times over.
  • Have the archetype include less searching & consistency cards, so the power level of the deck is balanced out by its inconsistency (this would be more difficult to implement, since Gadgets are known for their consistency). 
  • Reduce the power level of the options available to the Gadget's extra deck, so even if they're capable of swarming, they don't have ridiculously powerful options on-top of it.

I think a swarm-y style of support for Gadgets would be appropriate, but with their current iteration here, I feel like they'd just be easily abusable in every deck. They're too generic, too powerful & too consistent. I hope you can figure out a better way to restrain the power level of this support in some capacity.

Take Care,

- Major's Shadow~

263771650022212.png?r1024x1024

Alright, if it's restrictions that are needed, they shall be added! 

[spoiler=Orange, Blue, and Purple Gadget]

- I guess these don't have enough restrictions. Being too generic was something I thought about while creating them, which is why I added both the link material restriction and the restriction that if the only monster you control is the one that searches them, they cannot use their effects that special summon themselves ( orange gadget, for example, cannot be special summoned if the only monster you control is purple gadget, since it searches orange gadget ). I can definitely restrict these a little further. 

Changes

- During the turn you summon them ( by any means ) you cannot special summon, except for machine type monsters 

[spoiler=Bronze Gadget]

- This guy could use a little more limitations for sure 

Changes 

- You cannot use both effects in the same turn 

[spoiler=Ruby Gadget]

- Given that the archetype does restrict itself somewhat, I wanted to give them a toolbox of rank 4 machines, somewhat as a compensation that they will have a harder time using generic rank 4 toolbox cards such as castel and number 101. I could nerf it down a bit though 

Changes 

- The effect is no longer during either players turn 

[spoiler=Emerald Gadget]

- Given the nature of swarming in this archetype I wanted to introduce a way to recycle. Given that Daigusto Emeral is banned, making a retrain of him seemed like a good option. Adding the removal was probably too much 

Changes 

- The effect no longer destroys cards 

- The effect now can possibly return up to 5 monsters instead of 3 

[spoiler=Diamond Gadget]

- Looping with this card was something that I did consider, which is why I added the restriction to him that he cannot be used as a link material, but if that isn't enough, I can add another restriction to his effect 

Changes 

- His special summon effect is now a hard once per turn 

[spoiler=Factory of the Gadgets]

- Recursion seemed like a good idea for gadgets, given that they can run out of resources in a grind game ( given that they ony search the deck ), so a card of this nature seemed like a good comeback card. I can nerf it down though, to prevent it from being too crazy. 

Changes 

- No longer has an effect to add a gadget from your graveyard to your hand. 

[spoiler=Gadget Recharge]

- The normal summon effect probably isn't too strong ( given that you have to wait a turn after you send it to the graveyard ) but I can add a quick restriction to it anyway 

Changes 

- Both effects are now a hard once per turn 

[spoiler=Gadget Surplus]

- A revival card felt like a good idea for a spam focused archetype, but given just how loopy it already felt, making it a trap card felt like a better option that allowing for too many turn 1 shenanigans. I can definitely add a restriction to this 

Changes 

- While you control a face-up gadget surplus, you cannot special summon monsters, except machine-type monsters 

Archived