[Closed - Reviews Up!] Major's Card Competition: Turkey Day!

Major's Shadow

Yes, I know the deadline is AFTER thanksgiving, but I wanted to give some more time for entrants to join in for the fun. Mostly my fault for starting late, I suppose.

Check this link for clarification on competition policies. If it's not explicitly stated, its here. Arigatō~

Helpful Threads

Card Contest General Rules

Advanced Cards Rules
Advanced Cards FAQ
Official Card Game Text/Mechanics

It's been a long time, but I'm finally back w/ a brand new competition! To celebrate the occasion, let's also celebrate everyone's favorite holiday in November: Turkey Day! That's right, it's time to get your feast ready & enjoy some quality time with your family! Let's Begin!

[spoiler=Requirements/Rules]

No Entry Cost! Simply submit your card & request admittance into the tourney! Easy as that!

Entry must be a Spell, Trap, or Monster card inspired by Thanksgiving (Turkey Day). You're free to use any theme or idea that's commonly associated with the holiday. You cannot use custom Types or Attributes, or stats above 5000atk & def. Any further rules follow the standard YCM card tournament rules found here.

Card entries must be placed in this forum post. I will not accept PM's for entry, as all players should be able to see the cards before reviewing. Also, if you decide to create an image for your card entry, you must include written lore, all necessary stats & name of the card in the post. I cannot stress this enough.

- Edits are allowed, however, you must edit your original post! Do not create new posts of your card when making edits. Any edits performed past the deadline below will not be included in judging. It's recommended to make notes on your original post whenever you make an edit.

November 30th, 2018 @ 11:59PM Pacific Standard Time is the deadline. Entries beyond that will not be accepted.

[spoiler=Prizing]

Prizing is based on the total number of entrants, as shown below:

6 --> 12 ---> 18

1st: 500, 1000, 1500 points

2nd: 300, 600, 900 points

3rd: 150, 300, 450 points

+100 Extra Points Awarded For Each Category:

Most Balanced Entry

Most Creative Entry

Most Thematically Appropriate Entry

[spoiler=Judging]

- PM me if you'd like to become a Judge for this competition!
- It's recommended to send a minimum of two cards you designed along with your PM. If you are credentialed as a judge by the Judge Test, then you will most likely be picked.

- I will have my Rubric posted, but if you decide not to use my Rubric, then your Rubric MUST have its total score be a maximum of 100 points! You must also place your Rubric alongside your final scores after the competition is completed! Otherwise, you must use my Rubric, listed below.

- If 3 or more judges enter, I will allow each to enter into the competition with their own cards, but a judge cannot place a rating on a card they made.
1 Week after the CC ends is when all judges should provide their rubrics (either by posting on this forum post, or by personally PMing me, and I will post the results instead). If you can't make the deadline, PM me in advance! Anything beyond 7 days will not be used, unless otherwise stated.

- The final results are the weighted average scores between all judges! If there are no judges that join, I will be single-handedly judging all of the cards, based off my own rubric.

[spoiler=Rubric]

100 Points maximum for each card:
60 Points (Balance/Utility/Mechanic): Does the card fulfill the basic requirements of the competition? Is it relevant, fair, balanced and useful? If generic, how well does it work in other decks? Does it work too well, or not well enough? Is it a card that could be useful now or later in the game's lifespan?
30 Points (Creativity/Flavor): Does the card's effect fit stylistically with its stats, image (if applicable), and name? Does its design feel fresh and unique? If so, how?
10 Points (OCG): Does it follow current YuGiOh OCG/PSCT? Is its effect clear and easy to understand? Is the grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure correct?

[spoiler=Entrants/Judges]

Judges:

• YugsterMajor
  •  

Entrants (Bolded when Entry's Submitted):

• Dova
  • Dr. Jolly Glot The III
  • MarshyK-XS
  • Tythe
  •  

giphy.gif

Best of luck to everyone!

Written entries are absolutely accepted! If you can still convey the theme of your card without the need of an image, feel free to do so. Looking forward to your entry & honored to be hosting this competition for you!

I will give this a go! (first one in over ten years feel privileged ;) ) Are you happy for the card to be written as I am on a works computer? 

cheers

~MK

Looking forward to your entry & honored to be hosting this competition for you!

This made me absolutely crease hahahaha!

My Entry: 

[spoiler=Amazoness Thanksgiving Feast]

Amazoness Thanksgiving Feast

Spell Card

Once per turn, while you control no monsters: Special summon ‘Amazoness’ monsters from your Deck equal to the number of Special Summoned monsters your opponent controls. You cannot Special Summon monsters, except ‘Amazoness’ the turn you activate this effect. While this card is in the GY and you control an ‘Amazoness’ Fusion monster (Quick Effect): banish this card. Until your next Standby Phase ‘Amazoness’ monsters you control cannot be banished.

[spoiler=archetype selected]

I selected amazoness as it in my opinion is the archetype closest to native Indians. I think Konami would be able to justify naming a card like this if they wanted to so I thought I would make it believable as possible!

[spoiler=Support]

This card is direct support for getting out cards like empress and Ligre out. If you are going second and your opponent is set up it will allow you to pretty much guarantee a fusion summon (probably of empress as it protects your archetype) even if you don’t it allows a swarm which the archetype doesn’t exactly have yet (yes you can special summon with princess, village and onslaught but most archetypes have cards where you can summon multiple for the price of one and with no link, fusion or xyz support you can justify the special summon amount with this archetype.) The secondary banish effect is protection for empress; as she cannot be destroyed making her banish proof for a turn which I could imagine will once in clutch when trying to deal with her. 

~MK

Accepted! Have a happy turkey day tomorrow!

This made me absolutely crease hahahaha!

My Entry: 

[spoiler=Amazoness Thanksgiving Feast]

Amazoness Thanksgiving Feast

Spell Card

Once per turn, while you control no monsters: Special summon ‘Amazoness’ monsters from your Deck equal to the number of Special Summoned monsters your opponent controls. You cannot Special Summon monsters, except ‘Amazoness’ the turn you activate this effect. While this card is in the GY and you control an ‘Amazoness’ Fusion monster (Quick Effect): banish this card. Until your next Standby Phase ‘Amazoness’ monsters you control cannot be banished.

[spoiler=archetype selected]

I selected amazoness as it in my opinion is the archetype closest to native Indians. I think Konami would be able to justify naming a card like this if they wanted to so I thought I would make it believable as possible!

[spoiler=Support]

This card is direct support for getting out cards like empress and Ligre out. If you are going second and your opponent is set up it will allow you to pretty much guarantee a fusion summon (probably of empress as it protects your archetype) even if you don’t it allows a swarm which the archetype doesn’t exactly have yet (yes you can special summon with princess, village and onslaught but most archetypes have cards where you can summon multiple for the price of one and with no link, fusion or xyz support you can justify the special summon amount with this archetype.) The secondary banish effect is protection for empress; as she cannot be destroyed making her banish proof for a turn which I could imagine will once in clutch when trying to deal with her. 

~MK

[spoiler=Entry]Fowl Bowl
Quick-Play Spell

If you Special Summon 2 or more Normal Monsters at once: You can target any number of those monsters; you can only Special Summon once for the rest of the turn, also for each monster targeted, Special Summon 1 monster from Deck with the same name as that monster. You can only activate 1 "Fowl Bowl" once per turn. If this card was not sent to the GY this turn: You can banish this card from your GY, then discard 1 card; add 1 Normal Pendulum monster from your Deck to your hand, but you cannot activate cards with that card's name for the rest of this turn.

Inspired by Mild Turkey! Was tricky to find art, and gave up editing, so here you go.

[spoiler=Entry - edited]

Squanto, Grace from Patuxet

LIGHT / Level 2 / Warrior / Effect

If this card is Normal Summoned: Draw cards equal to number of Winged-Beast Feast Token You control +1 and then Shuffle from your hand to your Deck cards equal to number of Plant Feast Token your opponent control +1. You can only activate this effect of "Squanto, Grace from Patuxet" once per turn If this card on the field would sent to GY: Shuffle this card face-up to your opponent deck, instead. If you draw this face-up card; Both Player must declare either Winged Beast or Plant-Type; Special Summon 1 Feast Token (LIGHT/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0) 1 to each player side of field with each token Type become the Type his/her controller declared.

ATK 0 / DEF 1200

based on Thanksgiving legend the benevolent Native American that help the Pilgrims of Mayflower thus the originator of Thanksgiving itself , Squanto of Patuxet

[spoiler=Mild Turkey]131212_200w.jpg

^ You mean that one? Also absolutely accepted!

[spoiler=Entry]Fowl Bowl
Quick-Play Spell

If you Special Summon 2 or more Normal Monsters at once: You can target any number of those monsters; you can only Special Summon once for the rest of the turn, also for each monster targeted, Special Summon 1 monster from Deck with the same name as that monster. You can only activate 1 "Fowl Bowl" once per turn. If this card was not sent to the GY this turn: You can banish this card from your GY, then discard 1 card; add 1 Normal Pendulum monster from your Deck to your hand, but you cannot activate cards with that card's name for the rest of this turn.

Inspired by Mild Turkey! Was tricky to find art, and gave up editing, so here you go.

Accepted! Very interesting idea for the inspiration, looking forward to reviewing this one!

[spoiler=Entry]

Squanto, Grace from Patuxet

If this card is Normal Summoned: Draw cards equal to number of Winged-Beast Feast Token You control +1 and then Shuffle from your hand to your Deck cards equal to number of Plant Feast Token your opponent control +1. If this card on the field would sent to GY: Shuffle this card face-up to your opponent deck, instead. If you draw this face-up card; Both Player must declare either Winged Beast or Plant-Type; Special Summon 1 Feast Token (LIGHT/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0) 1 to each player side of field with each token Type become the Type his/her controller declared.

ATK 0 / DEF 1200

based on Thanksgiving legend the benevolent Native American that help the Pilgrims of Mayflower thus the originator of Thanksgiving itself , Squanto of Patuxet

Sudden entry appears from the wind!

[spoiler card]

Overstuffed

Trap

If a card(s) has been destroyed this turn: You can equip this card to 1 monster on the field. The equipped monster's ATK/DEF is halved, also its effects are negated. If that monster is removed from the field, Set this card. If both this card and that monster are face-up during the End Phase: Set the equipped monster then destroy this card.

Accepted! Welcome aboard!

Sudden entry appears from the wind!

[spoiler card]
Overstuffed
Trap
If a card(s) has been destroyed this turn: You can equip this card to 1 monster on the field. The equipped monster's ATK/DEF is halved, also its effects are negated. If that monster is removed from the field, Set this card. If both this card and that monster are face-up during the End Phase: Set the equipped monster then destroy this card.

Alrighty lady & gents, it's review time!

chicken.gif

Now, I included the Rubric as reference on the main post, but I'll include it again here just to know where your card stacks up. Also, since we have a smaller turnout this time, I'll be giving both 3rd & 4th place the same amount of points, so everyone who participated gets some points! After all, tis the season to be jolly~!
[spoiler=Rubric]
100 Points maximum for each card:
60 Points (Balance/Utility/Mechanic): Does the card fulfill the basic requirements of the competition? Is it relevant, fair, balanced and useful? If generic, how well does it work in other decks? Does it work too well, or not well enough? Is it a card that could be useful now or later in the game's lifespan?
30 Points (Creativity/Flavor): Does the card's effect fit stylistically with its stats, image (if applicable), and name? Does its design feel fresh and unique? If so, how?
10 Points (OCG): Does it follow current YuGiOh OCG/PSCT? Is its effect clear and easy to understand? Is the grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure correct?

[spoiler=Prizing]
Prizing is based on the total number of entrants, as shown below:
6 --> 12 ---> 18
1st: 500, 1000, 1500 points
2nd: 300, 600, 900 points
3rd: 150, 300, 450 points

+100 Extra Points Awarded For Each Category:
Most Balanced Entry
Most Creative Entry
Most Thematically Appropriate Entry

Now then, let's begin!
[spoiler=The Reviews]
[spoiler=Dova, Fowl Bowl]
Quick-Play Spell

Balance/Utility/Mechanic (35/60): So there's a couple facets to this card's design that I find interesting. It's Normal Monster support in a similar vein to 2016 - 2017 Pendulum vanilla support (like "Pendulum Rising" or "Unexpected Dai"), which I think is necessary nowadays. Normal Monsters are inherently weaker by mechanic than effect monsters, so having more generic support is very beneficial. However, I feel this card's design is far too restrictive for any benefit you'd gain having to put multiple named Vanillas into your deck. For this card to be optimally played, you'd need your deck to have multiple copies of different Normal Monsters (Most likely with Pendulum Summoning in order to fulfill the condition) both in-deck, in-hand and possibly face-up in your Extra Deck (Master Rule 4 makes it harder to Pendulum Summon multiple monsters from your face-up Extra Deck), and you'd need to somehow benefit additionally w/ the monster advantage generated w/o Special Summoning for the turn (which is very difficult to pull off, considering you're most likely playing a Pendulum Deck, which is almost ENTIRELY how they generate advantage). Since this is a Speed 2 effect, you COULD in-theory have an effect to Special Summon multiple Normal Monsters during your Opponent's turn, but Scapegoats fulfills this same purpose more consistently w/ less restrictions. The only way I could see this card being useful is if you'd somehow be able to OTK your opponent with some kind of Normal Monster beat-down, which could be useful in a niche scenario. The GY effect is a lot less impressive though, making you go even by discarding a card to search a Normal Pendulum monster. If you've already gotten so far into the game state that you can effectively resolve the first effect and find some advantage through the second effect without getting blown out by over-investing into the board, then maybe. I find this card a little TOO situational for its own good, but it does give Vanilla Pendulum decks more options, albeit pretty situational and potentially bricky ones.
Creativity/Flavor (26/30): I can see this being an appropriate flavor card alongside "Fowl Play", although each card's effect(s) are rather different in terms of design. There have been a lot of Vanilla Pendulum joke-style cards, so having a card built specifically for that purpose does feel appropriate. I like the direction you took the card's theme, and the underwhelming nature of the effect suits the idea extraordinarily well. Good job on this one.
OCG (9/10): So assuming from the OCG of the effect, you SHOULD be restricted from Special Summoning as soon as the effect resolves (since that's your 1 Special Summon for the rest of the turn). If that was the implied mechanics of the card (which is how it was reviewed), then the OCG works perfectly fine. The GY effect isn't up to modern TCG standards, the most recent example of this being "Until Noble Arms Are Needed Once Again", but the way it's worded here doesn't knock off points, since the mechanics are generally the same. There was also some slight redundancy w/ "You can only activate 1 "Fowl Bowl" once per turn" on the restrictive OCG. Minor stuff for the most part.
Total: (70/100)

[spoiler=Dr. Jolly Glot The III, Sqanto, Grace from Patuxet]
ATK 0 / DEF 1200
If this card is Normal Summoned: Draw cards equal to number of Winged-Beast Feast Token You control +1 and then Shuffle from your hand to your Deck cards equal to number of Plant Feast Token your opponent control +1. You can only activate this effect of "Squanto, Grace from Patuxet" once per turn If this card on the field would sent to GY: Shuffle this card face-up to your opponent deck, instead. If you draw this face-up card; Both Player must declare either Winged Beast or Plant-Type; Special Summon 1 Feast Token (LIGHT/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0) 1 to each player side of field with each token Type become the Type his/her controller declared.

Balance/Utility/Mechanics (5/60): I do like the idea of giving both players a way to benefit from this card's effect, however, I feel like the benefits are lop-sided, ending up being a really bad standalone card. When you cut down a lot of the fluff, the card on its first use translates to: "If this card is Normal Summoned: Draw 1 card, then shuffle another card from your hand into the Deck", which is absolutely abysmal. In no circumstance would you burn a Normal Summon on a Level 2, 0 ATK monster that mulligans 1 card from your hand. This would be mediocre even during the first few years of the game's lifespan, let alone in 2018, over 20 years later. After you benefit from this effect, the idea is to essentially give your Opponent the same card so they can benefit as-well after this goes to the GY, but the problem is they actually benefit from this effect WAY more than you do! Since different colored card sleeves are completely possible, your Opponent can legally shuffle the face-up card in any "random" order they choose ("Parasite Paracide" was ruled in this capacity, since it's the only card in the game that has this mechanic). This means both players know on first glance where that face-up card is in the Deck. This gives the Opponent an opportunity to place the card pretty much anywhere they choose "randomly", including potentially the top of the deck. If the Opponent chooses to do so, they gain a free, no-investment Token to use as a Link material during their turn after drawing the card, or can kill your token during their turn, allowing them to Normal Summon this card and have an inherently better effect than the first time you Normal Summoned it (Since they can just call Winged-Beast as their Type & Draw 2, then shuffle 1 back, considering they already killed your Token during their turn). On top of this, the card only gets shuffled into the Opponent's deck after going from Field to GY, which means XYZ Summoning can completely avoid this mechanic altogether. There's a reason another card like Parasite Paracide was never made, because the mechanics of the card are inherently flawed.Not to mention the power level of the card is abysmally low, to the point where you give your Opponent more benefit than you could ever gain from this card. It's probably better that the power level of the card is so low, so nobody is ever incentivized to run a card with an inherently broken mechanic mimicking a 20 year old card w/o corrective OCG. I feel this card, although thematically appropriate, is mechanically flawed in a plethora of ways.
Flavor/Creativity (30/30): This card just screams giving & good will, making for a really fun casual card. I like the flavor of multiple attributed tokens to represent the different "givings" of Thanksgivings, with reference to old Thanksgiving folklore. The act of shuffling the card & literally giving your Opponent the same gifts you receive is really fun. Although the mechanics of the card are heavily flawed, I feel they were made of good intention for both players. While this doesn't translate to a viable or mechanically competent card, I can't do any less than a perfect score on the creativity for the levels of thought you put into it. Plus, it would just be a blast messing around with this style of effect in a variety of cheesy decks with friends, so props to you!
OCG (7/10): There are a few flaws present in this card's OCG, like Semi-Colons in-place of Colons for effects, wording used that signifies the effect activates when it shouldn't, missing periods in-places, etc. The overall structure of the OCG is still legible & it's easy enough to understand the implied mechanics, but is flawed in places. Some minor proof-reading would've bumped this score up for sure.
Total: (42/100)

[spoiler=MarshyK-XS, Amazoness Thanksgiving Feast]
Spell Card

Balance/Utility/Mechanics (46/60): In any other archetype, I'd call this effect insane to the nth degree. However, sadly enough, I think this kind of effect would need to exist in order for Amazoness to be a competitively viable archetype in 2018. Now, this doesn't make the effect fair, and the inherent lack of restriction might still be overkill. Amazoness have powerful searching cards built-in to the archetype, such as "Amazoness Call", that can give you higher odds of hitting this card going second. This gives you a no-investment play to spill multiple monsters on the board, considering how heavily your Opponent invested into their own board. Now, for a battle-centric archetype, this is an absolute godsend, making this card a staple against any going first combo-based deck. Depending on how heavily your Opponent over-extends, this can easily punish them w/ a plethora of potent monsters (for example, on a full board, you can summon 3 "Amazoness Tiger" and 2 "Amazoness Queens", buffing all monsters you control by 1200 ATK & creating a dupe frog style battle lock). Even summoning a single monster from this card is absolutely bonkers! It also forces you to run an inherently weaker monster lineup, which you only want to see in your Deck to properly resolve this card. There are a couple things that make this card more fair. Since it's only an equal number of monsters that your Opponent controls, you need to have at least the same number in your Deck, otherwise the card fizzles. It also restricts you to "Amazoness" monsters, which inherently have a weaker toolkit in forms of removal and advantage, so you can't use the additional advantage you generate on other generic, more powerful Extra Deck tools found in the Archetype. I sincerely wish there was some kind of hard OPT clause on this card, so you couldn't activate multiple copies of the same card in a turn. While you do have a "Once per turn" clause at the front, it does not function the same way as a clause stating the card's name. The anti-banish removal is also really powerful, as it blocks a non-destruction based form of removal for essentially all your monsters. I love the concept of this card & think the mechanics add a whole new layer to punishing players for overextending, which is an absolute necessity in YuGiOh. However, I feel this card does too much for too little, without enough necessary restrictions put in-place. 
Flavor/Creativity (22/30): I feel a little mixed on this one. While Amazoness is a thematically appropriate archetype for the season of giving, I feel the effects do little to convey those ideas. This could easily be called "Amazoness Last Strike", or some other form of battle or war-related Amazoness support, and the effect would work much better in that context. I feel the thematic consistency is skin-deep, only being Thanksgiving by name rather than by design. However, the effect is still VERY creative, and gives a rather bland archetype a very specific place amongst other Archetypes, being a powerful anti-combo and anti-board control battle deck in a single card. While it's not a very good Thanksgiving card, it's a great standalone card in terms of exploring ways to revitalize an otherwise underwhelming archetype.
OCG (6/10): OCG is rather sloppy. Several parts of the effects either use wording that doesn't correlate with the functions of the card ("Once per turn:" used on a regular Spell Card, which is redundant), the incorrect use of symbols when naming archetypes (' instead of "), having missing commas and incorrect usage of Condition/Cost/Effect structure during the second effect. While the mechanics of the card are somewhat easy to understand, there could be some discrepancies here and there with the way its worded.
Total: (74/100)

[spoiler=Tythe, Overstuffed]
Trap

Balance/Utility/Mechanics (34/60): I understand the necessity to restrict this card's activation condition to prevent it from power creeping "Fiendish Chain", but I feel this was unnecessary. The card already functions as an underwhelming replacement for "Lost Winds", which is far less conditional and fulfills a similar purpose. Having the arbitrary restriction of only equipping when another card has been destroyed in the turn makes it more difficult than it needs to be to use. This card has a couple of weird mechanical quirks as-well, such as: 
*This card does not target for some reason, even if targeting is universally a mechanic found in equip-based cards. This means it can equip to any monster without needing to target.
*If the monster being equipped is a Link monster, even if the last effect is mandatory, it cannot properly resolve since a Link monster cannot be set.
*Since the card does not target, it can be used at an earlier point in a chain to equip to any monster that's Summoned after their chain link resolves (Ex: Activate Overstuffed on CL1 in response to an Opponent Normal Summoning "Kozmo Farmgirl", Opponent chains "Kozmo Farmgirl" to Special Summon a ship from hand. After chain resolves, you can negate the Summoned ship's effects).
I'm not certain if these mechanics were intentional or not, but it makes the card a bit more interesting. It works as a generic form of negation & ATK/DEF modification, but I feel there are less convoluted, more reasonably sound alternatives that function in a similar manner.
Flavor/Creativity (12/30): For being a card about Over-stuffing (in lieu of Turkey Day), I feel this card is ironically very bland. There's not a lot in terms of its design, effects and mechanics that reflect the card's name or the themes in the competition. I'm certain a card like this would see some form of play in YuGiOh, just due to its overall utility, but that doesn't transform it into a unique card that's interesting to play with. There's definitely more that could've been done here. 
OCG (9/10): It's difficult to know whether some of the mechanics of this card were intentional or just inferred off issues w/ OCG, so I'd find it redundant knocking off points here. I feel these mechanics were intentional to an extent, which means the OCG is correct for the most part, excluding a missing comma near the end before "then". Any points knocked off for mechanical issues were already listed in Balance/Utility/Mechanic.
Total: (55/100)

Total:

1st:  MarshyK-XS, Amazoness Thanksgiving Feast (74/100)
2nd:  Dova, Fowl Bowl (70/100)
3rd:  Tythe, Overstuffed (55/100)
4th:  Dr. Jolly Glot The III, Sqanto, Grace from Patuxet (42/100)

Bonus Prizes:

Most Balanced Entry:  Dova, Fowl Bowl
Most Creative Entry:  Dr. Jolly Glot The III, Sqanto, Grace from Patuxet
Most Thematically Appropriate Entry:  Dr. Jolly Glot The III, Sqanto, Grace from Patuxet

I'll be sending out the points at a later time. Thank you all SO much for joining my tournament, and I hope to see you all again someday soon. Take care!

Edit 12/04/18 @ 9:14PM PST: Points were distributed to everyone who participated. Thanks again for entering!

- Major's Shadow~

Archived