Steamtech Archetype

Conflicted

So, I went back and relayed some old YGO video games recently and have been alternating between three different deck types... except it occurred to me that they're all basically focused on the same goal of spamming monsters to the field. So... here's one of those with an interesting gimmick. I'm doing this more for the Legacy format (I think) since I don't really get Pendulum or Link monsters but feel free to talk about how this would fit into the recent meta too if you so desire. 

Basically the concept is Machines that are somehow powered by Steam but also really high tech. The strategy is fairly simple, amass Steam Counters and then ditch them to Special Summon monsters that can be used as Synchro or Xyz material with the fun little gimmick of Steamtech monsters all being FIRE attributed but with effects that allow them to also count as WATER. So, here goes.

Monster Cards
[spoiler=Extra Deck][spoiler=Steamtech Dragon]DrZP7AD.png

Steamtech Dragon
FIRE Attribute
Level Nine
Machine / Synchro
ATK: 3000 / DEF: 1200

One FIRE or WATER Tuner + One or more FIRE or WATER non-Tuner monsters.

The Tuner monster used to Synchro summon this card cannot be of the same Attribute as its non-Tuner Synchro material monsters. This card's attribute is also treated as WATER. During your Standby Phase, place one Steam Counter on this card. This card gains 100 ATK for each Steam Counter it possesses. Once per turn, you can activate one of the following effects;
● Remove one Steam Counter from this card. Destroy one card on the field.
● Remove two Steam Counters from this card. Special Summon one Level Two or lower FIRE or WATER monster from your Graveyard.
● If World of Steam is on the field, move all Steam Counters from this card to another card you control. Then, Tribute this card and Special Summon two Level Four or lower FIRE or WATER monsters from your deck. Then, shuffle your deck.

[spoiler=Steamtech Trench Crawler]pXaABGZ.png

Steamtech Trench Crawler
Fire Attribute
Level Six
Machine / Synchro / Effect
ATK: 2100 / DEF: 2600

The Tuner monster used to Synchro summon this card cannot be of the same Attribute as its non-Tuner Synchro material monsters. This card's attribute is also treated as WATER. Once per turn, when your opponent activates a Spell or Trap card, you can negate its activation and destroy it. Then, place one Steam Counter on this card.

[spoiler=Steamtech Submariner] HT6qDsq.png

Steamtech Submariner
Fire Attribute
Level Five
ATK: 1500 / DEF: 1900

The Tuner monster used to Synchro summon this card cannot be of the same Attribute as its non-Tuner Synchro material monsters. This card's attribute is also treated as WATER. When this card is Special Summoned from the Extra Deck, you can equip it with one WATER monster you control. This card gains ATK equal to the ATK of the equipped monster's. Place Steam Counters on this card equal to the number of Steam Counters on the equipped monster before it was equipped to this card. If this card would be destroyed, destroy the equipped card instead.

[spoiler=Advanced Thermal Dominator] gmy234R.png

Advanced Thermal Dominator
Fire Attribute
Level Ten
ATK: 3800 / DEF: 3100

1 Tuner Monster + Steamtech Dragon

This card's attribute is also treated as WATER. Once per turn, you can negate the activation of a card effect targeting this card, then remove one Steam Counter from this card and destroy the card whose effect targeted Advanced Thermal Dominator. As long as an Advanced Thermal Dominator you control is on the field, no other card with Steam Counters can be selected as an attack target. During your Main Phase you can move Steam Counters from one card you control to another card on the field.

[spoiler=Thermal Destroyer Dragon] dW0NVSW.png

Thermal Destroyer Dragon
Fire Attribute
Level Twelve
ATK: 3800 / DEF: 2900

1 FIRE Tuner + 1 WATER Tuner + Steamtech Dragon

This card's attribute is also treated as WATER. During each of your Standby Phases, place one Steam Counter on this card. If World of Steam is active, place an additional Steam Counter on this card when you activate this effect. During you Main Phase, you can destroy cards your opponent controls up to the number of Steam Counters on this card and inflict effect damage equal to the number of cards destroyed by this effect X400 to your opponents life points. This card cannot attack in the same turn as a card is destroyed by its effect.

[spoiler=Main Deck][spoiler=Steamtech Explorer]hV21lsU.png

Steamtech Explorer
Fire Attribute
Level Four
Machine / Effect
ATK: 1200 / DEF: 1600

This card can be treated as a WATER monster by card effects or when used as Synchro material for the special summon of a monster that lists a WATER monster in its materials. When this card is normal summoned or flipped face-up, place two Steam Counters on it. Once per turn, you can remove one Steam Counter from this card to add one Steamtech card to your hand from your deck. Then, shuffle your deck.

[spoiler=Steamtech Drone]lNA4KJG.png

Steamtech Drone
Fire Attribute
Level Two
Machine / Tuner / Effect
ATK: 500 / DEF: 200

This card can be treated as a WATER monster by card effects or when used as Synchro material for the special summon of a monster that lists a WATER monster in its materials. You can remove two Steam Counters from your side of the field to Special Summon this card from your hand. If this card is in your GY while you control a WATER monster, you can banish it, then, add one Steamtech Drone to your hand from your deck.

[spoiler=Steamtech Juggernaut] pLAhNky.png

Steamtech Juggernaut
Fire Attribute
Level Six
Machine / Effect
ATK: 2000 / DEF: 2400

This card can be treated as a WATER monster by card effects or when used as Synchro material for the Special Summon of a monster that lists a WATER monster in its materials. You can remove three Steam Counters from your side of the field, this turn you can Normal Summon this monster without a tribute. If this card would be destroyed by a card effect, you can remove one Steam Counter from the field instead.

[spoiler=Steamtech Exploder] JHw0wt3.png

Steamtech Exploder
Fire Attribute
Level One
Machine / Tuner / Effect
ATK: 200 / DEF: 200

This card can be treated as a WATER monster by card effects or when used as Synchro material for the special summon of a monster that lists a WATER monster in its materials. When this card is used as Synchro material for the Special Summon of a WATER monster, you can banish this card and one other monster used as material for the summon. Then, inflict damage equal to the other monster's level x200 to your opponent.

[spoiler=Steamtech Junker] WBIWq8p.png

Steamtech Junker
Fire Attribute
Level Four
Machine / Effect
ATK: 1500 / DEF: 1200

This card can be treated as a WATER monster by card effects or when used as Synchro material for the Special Summon of a monster that lists a WATER monster in its materials. When a FIRE monster inflicts battle damage on your opponent, add one Steam Counter to this card. You can tribute this card with two Steam Counters on it to Special Summon one WATER monster from your GY.

[spoiler=Steamtech Transporter] YX4nNqN.png

Steamtech Transporter
Fire Attribute
Level Three
Machine / Effect
ATK: 500 / DEF: 1800

This card can be treated as a WATER monster by card effects or when used as Synchro material for the Special Summon of a monster that lists a WATER monster in its materials. You can tribute this card with four or more Steam Counters. Then, Special Summon one FIRE or WATER monster from your GY. Once per turn you can activate one of the following effects;
● Move all Steam Counters on one FIRE monster to a WATER monster you control.
● Move all Steam Counters on one WATER monster to a FIRE monster you control.

[spoiler=Steamtech Prototype] KrxgDls.png

Steamtech Prototype
Fire Attribute
Level One
Machine / Effect
ATK: 0 / DEF: 200

This card can be treated as a WATER monster by card effects or when used as Synchro material for the Special Summon of a monster that lists a WATER monster in its materials. This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. You can Special Summon this card from your hand by removing two Steam Counters on your side of the field. Once per turn you can select one WATER monster in your GY with a level equal to or less than the number of Steam Counters on this card. This card's name and level are treated the same as the selected monster and it gains ATK equal to it.

Spell and Trap Cards
[spoiler=Spells][spoiler=World of Steam]qGHgnYs.png

World of Steam
Spell Card
Field Spell

When either you or your opponent activates a Spell Card, place one Steam Counter on this card. Once per turn you can activate one of these effects;
● Discard one Monster Card from your hand. Place two Steam Counters on this card.
● Discard two cards from your hand. Move all Steam Counters from another one of your cards to this card.
● Remove Steam Counters from this card equal to the the level of one Fire or Water monster in your Graveyard or Deck. Special Summon that card.

[spoiler=Steam Integration] m18MMu2.png

Steam Integration
Spell Card
Place one Steam Counter on every face-up WATER or FIRE monster on the field.

[spoiler=Counter Genesis] RXQdjed.png

Counter Genesis
Spell Card
Continuous Spell
Activate this card only when you control a monster whose effect places counters on itself or another card. Place one counter of the same type as listed in the effect of that monster on every face-up monster you control. Each Standby Phase after the activation of this card, place one of the same kind of Counter on every face-up monster you control.

[spoiler=Traps][spoiler=Open Sluice] 9BaCROm.png

Open Sluice
Trap Card

Activate this card when a WATER monster is destroyed by battle and sent to the GY. Destroy all attack position monsters on the field other than WATER monsters.

[spoiler=Deep Steamer] OUW3W9K.png

Deep Steamer
Trap Card

Select a face-up WATER monster you control that has Steam Counters. Remove all Steam Counters from that monster you control, it cannot be destroyed by battle until the End Phase of this turn. If this card is in the GY, during your turn, while a monster targeted by its effect is on the field, you can Set this card from your GY.

[spoiler=Steamtech Sentry] 0djYceY.png

Steamtech Sentry
Trap Card

Activate this card when your opponent declares an attack on a face-up monster you control. Negate that attack. Then, place Steam Counters on the targeted monster equal to the level of the attacking card.

I read the rules so I hope I did this right. Let me know if there's anything in the way I made this thread that I need to fix!

It says that non-tuner is a any monster of the two attributes

But the text states synchro monster, which one is it?

I'm not entirely sure I get what you're asking? I think you're talking about the first line of it's effect in relation to its materials? Basically what that does is prevent you from using only FIRE materials or only WATER materials. The effects makes it so if your Tuner is FIRE, then your non-tuners have to be WATER (and vice-versa). Or am I missing something?

Added a bunch of new cards since yesterday. Mostly done with the Main Deck monsters now I think but I'm going to put a couple more in with higher attack power but weaker effects. Planning on 2-3 more Synchros. I'm honestly not sure how much more Spell and Trap support I'll do because the archetype already has access to so much support from the generic Machine, WATER and FIRE support options.

Edit: Added two new Synchros and a handful of Spells and Traps. I might still add some stuff or make changes but I think I'll probably shift my focus to the Winged-Beast or Insect Archetypes I have in mind.

Some of the wordings can be streamlined. But for now im not gonna give the detail since im halfbaked in the problem either. So lets focus on the cards

Im starting with ED bosses first for now since its 12AM in my placed and i need my sleep lol

Dragon: well lets go with the actual written Level (psst the pic is Level 9). Ok removal effect, nice summon effect to synchro ladder, 3rd effect is a bit cluncky but it does fuel counters and has potential trick for Link Setup

Crawler: defensive card overall but its has really good negation effect + counter fueling effect

Submarineer: well its a big beat stick that can be made without sacrificing to much counters play. Not much but does its job nicely

Dominator: suprisingly defensive but its fine. A wall that protect itself and manage your counter distribution

Destroyer Dragon: fine monster. Removal can be quite scary and the damage range is nice

Some of the wordings can be streamlined. But for now im not gonna give the detail since im halfbaked in the problem either. So lets focus on the cards

Im starting with ED bosses first for now since its 12AM in my placed and i need my sleep lol

Dragon: well lets go with the actual written Level (psst the pic is Level 9). Ok removal effect, nice summon effect to synchro ladder, 3rd effect is a bit cluncky but it does fuel counters and has potential trick for Link Setup

Crawler: defensive card overall but its has really good negation effect + counter fueling effect

Submarineer: well its a big beat stick that can be made without sacrificing to much counters play. Not much but does its job nicely

Dominator: suprisingly defensive but its fine. A wall that protect itself and manage your counter distribution

Destroyer Dragon: fine monster. Removal can be quite scary and the damage range is nice

Will fix the typo on Dragon. It's meant to be 9 not 8. I'm pleasantly surprised that there's potential for Link setup there since I have exactly no idea how Links work as of yet. Sorry the wording is so bad, I've just now started learning how to do the OCG properly but I may not come back through to fix wording on these simply because it's so horrendous. Thanks for the response!

I suggest to keep Dragon Level 8 instead though its effect is good but not quite right to be level 9 either in my opinion

The clause of needing contrasting attribute for sync-mat can be shorthen and combine with the material text as:

" 1 FIRE or WATER Tuner + 1+ FIRE or WATER non-Tuner Monster(s) with different Attributes than the Tuner"

Now to main monster

Explorer: ok counter effect and search effect. Though i personally think the counter gain should activate on any summon

Drone: ok self summon effect. That can replace it self. Nice

Juggernaut: nice summon cost reduction. And it protect it self from popular removal

Exploder: damage effect is useful for late game. Though it cant contribute much for board building. Well its a Tuner that also both Rekindling and Machine Dupe target so all its well

Junker: the counter fueling effects its kinda unreliable but the summon effect is nice.

Transporter: its similar to Dragon summon effect though less advantagous. Counter moving is a nice gimmick but i personally rather that effect move to Spell/Trap card with strong 3rd to 4th effect and then replace the lost effect of this monster with another board setup effect

Prototype: rather ok and simple card for sync-ladder.nuf said

So far I like this concept, but I feel there are too many drawbacks right now. But a couple of quick things, you don't have to specify to shuffle your deck. Also, I don't think the effects to move counters are necessary, I think it should be fine if all your effects should be able to be activated as long as you remove counters from your side of the field. This will allow for smoother plays overall, and it won't be as clunky if you were to actually play this deck.

Monsters:

Explorer is nice, though I think it's effect is better off working on any summon. A hard once per turn maybe needed if it enables infinite loops, but for now, I think the soft once per turn should be fine.

Drone - I think you should give this like a Malicious effect, make it SS the other copy from your deck over your hand. Give it a hard once per turn, and then you have a very strong play extender.

Juggernaut - Make it special summon itself over using your normal summon.

Exploder - replace the burn effect with something more substantial. A destruction effect would be very good, and I don't think you'll need to have the banish drawback. Yugioh is pretty nuts nowadays

"This card can be treated as a WATER monster by card effects or when used as Synchro material for the special summon of a monster that lists a WATER monster in its materials. If this card is used as Synchro material for the Special Summon of a WATER monster: You can target 1 card your opponent controls, and destroy it. This effect of "Steamtech Exploder" can only be activated once per turn."

This should give it an effect that does something useful, while keeping with the theme of this card. Also, don't use "When" this means this effect would be able to miss the timing. "If" is the way to go nowadays.

Junker - Too slow, you're not going to inflict battle damage on a 1500 ATK body, let alone twice. Since this has a GY effect, how about just changing it so that you can just remove 2 steam counters on our side of the field to SS from the GY for both fire and water type monsters. Give it a hard once per turn as well. No need to send itself. It can keep the battle damage effect, but right now it just needs a real effect.

Transporter - Since junker would be able to summon both, I think this card needs a redesign. When I think transporter, I think a floater effect would be nice.

"This card can be treated as a WATER monster by card effects or when used as Synchro material for the Special Summon of a monster that lists a WATER monster in its materials. If this card is sent to the GY: Place 2 Steam Counters on 1 face-up card you control, then add 1 "Steamtech" monster from your deck to your hand. This effect of "Steamtech" Transporter can only be activated once per turn."

This makes it prime material for synchro or link summons, and some quick counter fuel.

Prototype - Nice card, but I think it should also be able to SS itself from the GY, but you give the effect a hard once per turn.

Steamtech Dragon - Good boss monster, however, a couple changes change I would make is so you only have to remove Steam Counters from your field, and to the third effect.

● If World of Steam is on the field when this card is sent to the GY by an opponent's card, move all Steam Counters on this card, to another face-up card on the field; Special Summon 2 Level 4 FIRE and/or WATER monsters from your Deck.

Most good boss monsters have some sort of protection or a floater effect.

Trench/Sub - good solid cards

Thermal Dominator - wording needs work

This card's attribute is also treated as WATER. Once per turn, you can negate the activation of a card effect that targets this card, and destroy it. When you control a "Advanced Thermal Dominator", no other cards with Steam Counters can be selected for an attack. During your Main Phase, you can move Steam Counters from 1 card you control to another face-up card on the field.

Feels pretty disappointing, especially since you would have to use Steamtech Dragon as material for this. This should get a rework imo, something more impactful that it makes it worth to use such a valuable monster.

Thermal Destroyer - Strong card, though I still probably won't go into this over steamtech dragon.

Spells/Traps:

World of Steam - This card needs a rework. Right now, your deck lacks reliable counter generation. And I believe this card should fill that void.

When you summon a "Steamtech" monster, place 1 Steam Counter on this card. You can only activate each of these effects of "World of Steam" once per turn.

● When your opponent activates a monster card's effect (Quick Effect): you can remove 1 Steam Counter from this card; negate the activation.

● You can remove 2 Steam Counters from your field to add 1 "Steamtech" monster from your Deck or GY to your hand.

● You can remove 3 Steam counters from your field to select 1 non-Synchro "Steamtech" monster in your GY; Special Summon that target.

Now, this makes this your field spell a force to be reckoned with, and the hard once per turns should keep it from going too crazy. Gives the archetype much needed counter generation, and it works as a strong play extender, while keeping a bit of that stun element you originally had.

Steam Interrogation - It needs a secondary effect.

Counter genesis - while its your intended counter generation spell card, it's too slow to be reliable. I think this needs a rework into something else, but not too sure myself.

The traps - I wouldn't play any of these. Traps cards nowadays need ways to be able to be played from your hand, and need more impactful effects.

Overall thoughts, very solid archetype, aside from a couple cards I think needs some rethinking. Also, I think it also needs a link monster, something that can help you extend plays, so you can get to your synchros reliably, or maybe one that searches your field spell. Who knows, be creative on this.

So far I like this concept, but I feel there are too many drawback right now. but a couple of quick things, you don't have to specify to shuffle your deck. Also, I don't think the effects to move counters are necessary, I think it should be fine if all your effects should be able to be activated as long as you remove counters from your side of the field. This will allow for smoother plays overall, and it won't be as clunky if you were to actually play this deck.

Monsters:

Explorer is nice, though I think it's effect is better off working on any summon. A hard once per turn maybe needed if it enables infinite loops, but for now, I think the soft once per turn should be fine.

Drone - I think you should give this like a Malicious effect, make it SS the other copy from your deck over your hand. Give it a hard once per turn, and then you have a very strong play extender.

Juggernaut - Make it special summon itself over using your normal summon.

Exploder - replace the burn effect with something more substantial. A destruction effect would be very good, and I don't think you'll need to have the banish drawback. Yugioh is pretty nuts nowadays

"This card can be treated as a WATER monster by card effects or when used as Synchro material for the special summon of a monster that lists a WATER monster in its materials. If this card is used as Synchro material for the Special Summon of a WATER monster: You can target 1 card your opponent controls, and destroy it. This effect of "Steamtech Exploder" can only be activated once per turn."

This should give it an effect that does something useful, while keeping with the theme of this card. Also, don't use "When" this means this effect would be able to miss the timing. "If" is the way to go nowadays.

Junker - Too slow, you're not going to inflict battle damage on a 1500 ATK body, let alone twice. Since this has a GY effect, how about just changing it so that you can just remove 2 steam counters on our side of the field to SS from the GY for both fire and water type monsters. Give it a hard once per turn as well. No need to send itself. It can keep the battle damage effect, but right now it just needs a real effect.

Transporter - Since junker would be able to summon both, I think this card needs a redesign. When I think transporter, I think a floater effect would be nice.

"This card can be treated as a WATER monster by card effects or when used as Synchro material for the Special Summon of a monster that lists a WATER monster in its materials. If this card is sent to the GY: Place 2 Steam Counters on 1 face-up card you control, then add 1 "Steamtech" monster from your deck to your hand. This effect of "Steamtech" Transporter can only be activated once per turn."

This makes it prime material for synchro or link summons, and some quick counter fuel.

Prototype - Nice card, but I think it should also be able to SS itself from the GY, but you give the effect a hard once per turn.

Steamtech Dragon - Good boss monster, however, a couple changes change I would make is so you only have to remove Steam Counters from your field, and to the third effect.

● If World of Steam is on the field when this card is sent to the GY by an opponent's card, move all Steam Counters on this card, to another face-up card on the field; Special Summon 2 Level 4 FIRE and/or WATER monsters from your Deck.

Most good boss monsters have some sort of protection or a floater effect.

Trench/Sub - good solid cards

Thermal Dominator - wording needs work

This card's attribute is also treated as WATER. Once per turn, you can negate the activation of a card effect that targets this card, and destroy it. When you control a "Advanced Thermal Dominator", no other cards with Steam Counters can be selected for an attack. During your Main Phase, you can move Steam Counters from 1 card you control to another face-up card on the field.

Feels pretty disappointing, especially since you would have to use Steamtech Dragon as material for this. This should get a rework imo, something more impactful that it makes it worth to use such a valuable monster.

Thermal Destroyer - Strong card, though I still probably won't go into this over steamtech dragon.

Spells/Traps:

World of Steam - This card needs a rework. Right now, your deck lacks reliable counter generation. And I believe this card should fill that void.

When you summon a "Steamtech" monster, place 1 Steam Counter on this card. You can only activate each of these effects once per turn.

● When your opponent activates a monster card's effect (Quick Effect): you can remove 1 Steam Counter from this card; negate the activation.

● You can remove 2 Steam Counters from your field to add 1 "Steamtech" monster from your Deck or GY to your hand.

● You can remove 3 Steam counters from your field to select 1 non-Synchro "Steamtech" monster in your GY; Special Summon that target.

Now, this makes this your field spell a force to be reckoned with, and the hard once per turns should keep it from going to crazy. Gives the archetype much needed counter generation, and it works as a strong play extender, while keeping a bit of that stun element you originally had.

Steam Interrogation - It needs a secondary effect.

Counter genesis - while its your intended counter generation spell card, it's too slow to be reliable. I think this needs a rework into something else, but not too sure myself.

The traps - I wouldn't play any of these. Traps cards nowadays need ways to be able to be played from your hand, and need more impactful effects.

Overall thoughts, very solid archetype, aside from a couple cards I think needs some rethinking. Also, I think it also needs a link monster, something that can help you extend plays, so you can get to your synchros reliably, or maybe one that searches your field spell. Who knows, be creative on this.

Oh wow, thanks for the in-depth analysis here. I'll probably come back to this once I get my other archetype finished up and make a lot of those changes because they seem to be pretty solid suggestions. Traps from the hand is a thing now??? I suppose if that's a concern the easiest way to deal with that would be to allow them to be played from the hand by removing counters. 

Thanks for such a detailed comment.

Oh wow, thanks for the in-depth analysis here. I'll probably come back to this once I get my other archetype finished up and make a lot of those changes because they seem to be pretty solid suggestions. Traps from the hand is a thing now??? I suppose if that's a concern the easiest way to deal with that would be to allow them to be played from the hand by removing counters. 

Thanks for such a detailed comment.

Even if those current traps can be activated from your hand, they still wouldn't be played. They don't stop your opponent from actually doing anything, and if you go second, they're dead in your hand. 

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Infinite_Impermanence

This is a good example of a good trap card nowadays.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Ghost_Girl_(series)

Then you have these guys, which are basically staple status (ghost ogre, ash blossom and belle)

Agreed with the above review for spell/Trap line-up. My addition is Counter Genesis can be seperated as other post given how generic it is.

For the traps. I think you need to give them better effects at very least you can change 2 of them leaving the stronger battle protection (your option)

Archived