Photo

[Written] Scarlet Terror archetype (19 cards)

- - - - - FIRE Machine aggro

Necrobump!

Guest, the last post on this topic is over 30 days old and a new post will be considered as necrobumping!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

kevintriedge

kevintriedge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
    Last Visit Feb 01 2019 09:54 AM

Intro
The Scarlet Terrors are an archetype of FIRE Machine monsters. Their motifs are taken from military roles/vehicles and dragons. The Level 4 monsters are bipedal cyborg dragon soldiers, the Tuners are equipments, and the higher level monsters are vehicle/dragon hybrid ala Fusilier Dragon.

Their playing style is rapidly summoning the higher Level monsters from hand and overwhelm the opponent with removal effects. The Level 6+ monsters have an effect that (HOPT) allows them to Special Summon themselves from hand by sending Machine monsters from hand/field to the GY, or 1 "Scarlet Terror" monster. Think of them like an aggro Monarchs/Machina Fortress, except they're Special Summoning. Due to this, they can put up okay boards, but burn their resources quickly. The Level 4s alleviate this by offering on-summon effects OR effects when they're sent to GY by the effect of a "Scarlet Terror" card. Think of it like Shaddolls, except more xenophobic. Overall I'm intending it to be a solid tier 2 candidate, so suggestions are welcome if you think they're either too strong or too weak.

They can ocassionally go into Synchro using the two Level 2 Tuners they have. However I think of this as just a side flair instead of the main focus. 

Main Deck low-Level Monsters (7 cards)

Main Deck high-Level monsters (4 cards)

Extra Deck monsters (4 cards)

Spell & Traps (5 cards)

kevintriedge

kevintriedge

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Added some design notes and changed the effect of some cards to tone them down. 

Dova

Dova

DovaMod

• Junior Moderators
  • 3,762 posts
    Last Visit Jan 17 2019 08:36 PM
  • Discord:Dova#1498
  • Alias:Dova
  • Spouse:Dova

Firstly, apologies for taking so long to get to this! Having an empty queue and just one archetype to look at, especially when it's so large, can lead to proooooooooocrastination. At least it's here now! :D

Actually reminds me more of Super Quants more than Shaddolls. Still, I like both, and can see my favorite aspects of them in this set. It seems a bit thick at time, but it's xenophobic enough and self-supportive to have all cards played.

One thing I don't like is the Scarlet Counter mechanic; it seems like a remnant from an earlier version of the archetype, as while it's certainly interesting, it only appears to be useful with the Link 2 and the Level 6 Synchro, and otherwise just seems a slow means for a slight bonus. 

Another thing, was there intended to be a Synchro Tuner to be used with Vanquisher? I don't see why there's made a special mention for a Synchro Tuner if there's no way to get one in archetype. Unless that was intended? Battlemech works to Summon this card I guess, but considering you've locked it to a Level 3...yeah.

As for the set as a whole, normally at this point I would take apart each individual card, or each section as a whole, but really most of these cards are really well designed. PSCT, general combos, filling all the holes...I do like it. Sadly, very xenophobic as you have said, preventing generic splashing or any means of using external cards to fuel your monster's plays. Other than the above, your choices don't really feel wasted. I can't really point out any flaws other than what I have already mentioned for your general design.

This could be a really good archetype, if it was easier to get out Vanquisher. The fact that they otherwise don't have any form of stunning or controlling your opponent's plays means it has to tank all of its blows, and unlike Kozmos, these cards only take a few blows before they fall apart, as their bosses don't combo too well with one another, relying too much on the Level 7 opening and play to act as a wall, and beyond destruction and the GY, it also falls to Dark Law-esque card and non-destruction means of removal. ABC, anyone?

kevintriedge

kevintriedge

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

One thing I don't like is the Scarlet Counter mechanic; it seems like a remnant from an earlier version of the archetype, as while it's certainly interesting, it only appears to be useful with the Link 2 and the Level 6 Synchro, and otherwise just seems a slow means for a slight bonus.

You actually guessed it right ^^; At first they were there for a "level up" mechanic, but it feels too slow so I scrapped the mechanic, but left it there as a bonus. Though I guess it actually ends up distracting, huh?

Another thing, was there intended to be a Synchro Tuner to be used with Vanquisher? I don't see why there's made a special mention for a Synchro Tuner if there's no way to get one in archetype. Unless that was intended? Battlemech works to Summon this card I guess, but considering you've locked it to a Level 3...yeah.

No actually, it's just there to make the Summoning more flexible. For example you can use 2 Tuners, or 1 Tuner + 1 any monster into Needlefiber into a Synchro Tuner.

As for the set as a whole, normally at this point I would take apart each individual card, or each section as a whole, but really most of these cards are really well designed. PSCT, general combos, filling all the holes...I do like it. Sadly, very xenophobic as you have said, preventing generic splashing or any means of using external cards to fuel your monster's plays. Other than the above, your choices don't really feel wasted. I can't really point out any flaws other than what I have already mentioned for your general design.

This could be a really good archetype, if it was easier to get out Vanquisher. The fact that they otherwise don't have any form of stunning or controlling your opponent's plays means it has to tank all of its blows, and unlike Kozmos, these cards only take a few blows before they fall apart, as their bosses don't combo too well with one another, relying too much on the Level 7 opening and play to act as a wall, and beyond destruction and the GY, it also falls to Dark Law-esque card and non-destruction means of removal. ABC, anyone?

Thanks a lot for the detailed analysis and suggestions! I see, good point on the weaknesses. I'll take them into account for revising or adding cards. Additionally, so I take it these aren't actually overpowered then? I was afraid if I went too far (because there are many searchers), but it's reassuring to hear it's not actually overpowered.

Once again, thanks a lot for the detailed review! I really appreciate it.

kevintriedge

kevintriedge

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Added a new Continuous Trap! (also edited on the first post)

Scarlet Terror Joint Operation

Continuous Trap

You can target 1 face-up monster on the field; Send 1 "Scarlet Terror" monster from your hand to the GY, and if you do, that target loses 700 ATK/DEF (even if this card leaves the field). When your opponent activates a monster effect while you control a Level 5 or higher "Scarlet Terror" monster: You can return 1 Level 5 or higher "Scarlet Terror" monster you control to the hand; negate that effect. You can only use 1 "Scarlet Terror Joint Operation" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

The first effect's idea is to allow the Deck to function even when you for some reason don't have the Lv5+ monsters in hand (though that will be rare since there are many searchers). The other effect allows you to recycle Lv5+ monsters that is already on the field, while also providing the needed disruption.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users