Liking Statuses

Ultimagamer

As great as this would be, this isn't the first time it was bought up. I'm not sure it's even possible on the current framework, and if it is, it would be very hard to do it with the mess YCM is in rn AND contend with YCMaker should an error be made.

Here's a thing: Reps don't matter and people who put value on them are toxic.

Yeah, but 90% of ycm is toxic so this is a moot point

Whether it is possible or not, I honestly feel it would cause even more contention over reps.

Some members have reps that others believe they don't deserve.

Others disagree on which reps are deserved.

This just adds another factor to the equation.

Right, but whenever that's brought up, you're one of the people who things it's not a legit argument, so question now is, if it's not a good argument, why does it matter if irrelevant people get annoyed

Yeah, but 90% of ycm is toxic so this is a moot point

Hardly the case; Don't perpetuate toxicity. Adding likes to comments and statuses, while people will be annoyed, could be a positive thing that breaks away from the toxicity. Most likely, most people will only complain about statuses having likes and not the amount of likes people get, since there is no value given to them anymore outside of when Armz was around.

Here's a thing: Reps don't matter and people who put value on them are toxic.

This. I think maybe one or two members at most really have issue with reps? So frankly it adding another factor would not be too much of a problem. If members would put any value in them, that's likely to come down more to personal issues, rather than anything necessarily wrong with implementing a new way to send likes.

I don't think the system allows for statuses to be liked, but if it is possible, then I think would be in favor of adding it.

I'd like to clarify my position on reps.

I seriously don't care about rep totals. Mine, at the very least, is arbitrary.

That being said, I can acknowledge that some people do, as those people feel they have earned their totals over the years.

While I personally don't believe that reps earned from jokes in misc or being agreed with in debates are illegitimate by any means, I firmly believe that rep abuse can and does exist. By this I mean reps obtained through secretive means, or means otherwise against the rules, i.e. alt accounts, agreements between members to mass rep each other, et cetera. This does not bother me because it inflates a total I have stated so many times to be arbitrary in my opinion, rather I am angered by actions like these because it shows the member in question clearly puts weight in the meaning of said total, and manipulates it dishonestly with clear intent. This sort of action is one of the things that truly angers me, because all but the most nihilistic of views on reps make it clear such a thing (particularly use of alt accounts) is not okay. And yes, this does happen.

As for this topic, I don't believe it would cause any form of harmful inflation, I simply believe it would open the door to even further contention. Statuses are actually fairly regulated at this point, so the older concern of "reps used to encourage flaming" is moot. Presuming everyone can handle them maturely, I see no issue with the idea. I just find such a criteria shaky at best.

Archived