Paladins - "Hand trap" Control Deck

RockerXD

Ok, another deck based off of Warcraft. So Paladins are an archetype of LIGHT Warrior monsters whose gimmick revolves around Special Summoning themselves from the hand, if your opponent were to do a certain action. Then, if you control a face up paladin monster as they were Special Summoned from anywhere but the GY, you get an effect, so they're not completely reliant on your opponents actions. And these guys have a universal floating effect. Main goal with this deck is to keep board control while maintaining card advantage, and I want to keep it around Sky Striker power levels. Initial testing proved that hard once per turns for the other effects were needed because degenerate loops were found.

Alongside the monsters are the spells, similar to sky striker, they have an initial effect, then a bonus effect if a condition is met. In the case of paladins, if you control 2 or more Paladin monsters for these bonus effects.

Now for the cards

Monsters:

Paladin of Retribution

LVL4 LIGHT Warrior 1800/1500

If you control another "Paladin" monster, this card gains 300 ATK and DEF. If your opponent adds a card(s) from their Deck or Graveyard with a card effect, except by drawing them (Quick Effect): You can Special Summon this card from your hand. If this card was Special Summoned while you control a face-up "Paladin", except from the GY: Place 1 random card from your opponent's hand on top of their Deck. If this card was sent to the GY, except from the Deck: You can add 1 "Paladin" card from your Deck to your hand except "Paladin of Retribution". You can only use each effect of "Paladin of Retribution" once per turn.

Paladin of Protection

LVL4 LIGHT Warrior 700/2100

While you control another "Paladin" monster, this card gains 300 ATK and DEF. When an opponent's monster declares an attack (Quick Effect): You can Special Summon this card from your hand. If this card was Special Summoned while you control another face-up "Paladin" monster, except from the GY: Target 1 card on the field, and return it to the hand. If this card was sent to the GY, except from the Deck: You can add 1 "Paladin" card from your Deck to your hand except "Paladin of Protection". You can only use each effect of "Paladin of Protection" once per turn.

Paladin of the Light

While you control another "Paladin" monster, this card gains 300 ATK and DEF. If your opponent activates a card effect (Quick Effect): You can Special Summon this card from your hand, then, if you control another "Paladin" monster, you can target 1 card on the field and negate its effects until the end of the turn. If this card was sent to the GY, except from the Deck: You can add 1 "Paladin" card from your Deck to your hand except "Paladin of the Light". You can only use this effect of "Paladin of the Light" once per turn.

Paladin Warbringer

This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card cannot be used as Link Material the turn it was Summoned. While you control another "Paladin" monster, this card gains 300 ATK and DEF. If you control a face-up "Paladin" monster: You can send 1 card from your hand to the GY; Special Summon this card. If this card was Special Summoned while you control a face-up "Paladin", except from the GY: You can target 1 card on the field, and destroy it. If this card was sent to the GY, except from the Deck: You can add 1 "Paladin" card from your Deck to your hand except "Paladin Warbringer". You can only use each effect of "Paladin Warbringer" once per turn.

Spells:

Call of the Crusade

Normal

Add 1 "Paladin" card from your deck to your hand then, if you control 2 or more face-up "Paladin" monsters, you can draw 1 card.

(Not named as a paladin card so it can't be recycled)

Paladin's Avenging Wrath

Quick-Play

Target 1 face-up "Paladin" monster you control; that target is unaffected by card effects this turn, except its own, and if you control 2 or more "Paladin" monsters, it gains 1000 ATK this turn.

Paladin's Redemption

Normal

Add 1 "Paladin" card from your GY to your hand, except "Paladin's Redemption", then, if you control 2 or more face-up "Paladin" monsters, you can Special Summon 1 "Paladin" monster from your GY. You can only activate 1 "Paladin's Redemption" per turn.

Paladin's Tactical Retreat

Quick-Play

Return 1 "Paladin" monster you control to your hand; Special Summon 1 "Paladin" monster from your Deck. You can only activate 1 "Paladin's Tactical Retreat" per turn.

Extra:

Paladin Tarim

Rank 4 XYZ 2500/2000

Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; Special Summon 1 "Paladin" monster from your hand. 

Paladin Bolvar Fordragon

Link 2 Down-Right, Left 1300

2 "Paladin" monsters
Cannot be used as Link Material during the turn it was Link Summoned. If this card is Link Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 "Paladin" monster from your Deck to a zone this card points to. Its effects are negated. This card gains 800 ATK for each "Paladin" monster this card points to. You can only use this effect of "Paladin Bolvar Fordragon" once per turn.

https://www.duelingbook.com/ - sample deck list

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely getting Sky Striker vibes. It's a shame 3 of them have identical stats; perhaps you could drop that of Warbringer as it can bring itself out? Still, effects fine, and I like how you've counterpointed what type of thing it is responding to with what it does on its Summon. I was a bit sceptical at first of 

Spell/Traps are very simple and stronk. Not much to say there, other than having the monsters all be able to search any of the cards, such as Redemption, means this Deck is much better as an engine than pure. Just run 3 Paladin of the Light, 3 Redemption and 3 Call of the Crusade, along with Reinforcement of the Army to search it 1 of your Warbringers.

You don't have the Xyz Materials on Tarim. Also it, could do with another effect, as right now it's just a ladder. Your Link is pretty neat though, despite it being as bland as some of the monsters.

What's this Deck's win condition? It seem to fall down against any big boss monster without Wrath, ESPECIALLY ABC. On the other hand, it does seem to cut down your opponent's resources quickly, so unless most of their monsters have protection, like Kozmo, they'll have little to do much with anyway. Also, why the restriction with being sent to the GY from the Deck? Just say "sent from the hand or field" as its less text.

Can't say I like the theme, as LIGHT Warriors with repeated effects are a little boring, they have the speed of something like altergeister without the variety, and their spells are very Striker-esque but they're good at what they do. Also, their responding effects are pretty cool as well.

You don't have the Xyz Materials on Tarim. Also it, could do with another effect, as right now it's just a ladder. Your Link is pretty neat though, despite it being as bland as some of the monsters.

Meant to be 2 lvl4 paladins. Well, being a quick effect, it's to allow for disruption during your opponent's turn with cards that normally can't (warbringer) or needs the BP (protection) outside of say Tactical retreat, and since the xyz material floats, you can add further disruption. Also lets you use your Warbringers as material the turn its summoned for something. A bit hesitant to giving it a second effect, since all of the main deck monsters float, so I'm not exactly sure what I want for a secondary effect. Yeah, first time around making a control based deck, so I try to keep it on the simple side, with a universal gimmick. Another important thing I wanted to make sure, was that you would be able to side deck effectively with this deck. Also, given the nature of the monster effects, i wanted to avoid giving the spells any sort of removal, since I want to keep that on the monsters.

What's this Deck's win condition? It seem to fall down against any big boss monster without Wrath, ESPECIALLY ABC. On the other hand, it does seem to cut down your opponent's resources quickly, so unless most of their monsters have protection, like Kozmo, they'll have little to do much with anyway. Also, why the restriction with being sent to the GY from the Deck? Just say "sent from the hand or field" as its less text.

It's meant to disrupt your opponent, and overwhelm them eventually through card advantage (its got a +1 card negate, hard OPT, but that's something). Also, if I say, hand or field, then it wouldn't work if i detach em as xyz material. 

On a separate note

new link 1, made this as a way to unbrick really bad hands so you can actually do stuff and not let your opponent do stuff for free if you go first with a single paladin in hand. This just adds alot more consistency with the deck

Paladin Liadrin

1000 ATK, Link 1, Warrior, UP

1 Paladin monster

Your opponent cannot target face-up "Paladin" monsters with card effects, except this card.

Archived