My monobug team. (AKA my favorite type ever)

xlArisenRoselx

Feel free to look at these guys as u wish, and critique my team with me! ;)

[spoiler=BUGS!!!]ZapCracklePop (Galvantula) (M) @ Focus Sash  

Ability: Compound Eyes  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe  
Modest Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Sticky Web  
- Bug Buzz  
- Thunderbolt  
- Thunder Wave  

Vitalani (Volcarona) (F) @ Firium Z  
Ability: Flame Body  
Modest Nature  
- Quiver Dance  
- Fiery Dance  
- Bug Buzz  
- Psychic  

BeeBee (Ribombee) (F) @ Focus Sash  
Ability: Shield Dust  
Shiny: Yes  
Timid Nature  
- Moonblast  
- Bug Buzz  
- Energy Ball  
- Quiver Dance  

Tank (Heracross-Mega) (M) @ Heracronite  
Ability: Skill Link  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe  
Adamant Nature  
- Megahorn  
- Rock Blast  
- Swords Dance  
- Close Combat  

Gareth (Golisopod) (M) @ Focus Sash  
Ability: Emergency Exit  
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Def  
Adamant Nature  
- First Impression  
- Leech Life  
- Liquidation  
- Poison Jab  

Ninjette (Ninjask) (F) @ Focus Sash  
Ability: Speed Boost  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe  
Adamant Nature  
- Swords Dance  
- Aerial Ace  
- Protect  
- Baton Pass  

No expert here but do have some questions:

AFAIK Ribombee stands out for being a fast Sticky Web setter. You don't intent to use it for that purpose as a backup for Galvantula?

Have you considered Scolipede? Can also set hazards, it's dangerous on its own with Speed Boost, and soaks Toxic Spikes.

Unsure about Golisopod. On paper it looks good, but on practice, I have read players state that its ability gets in the way more than helping.

Was going to ask about Psychic on Volcarona but Krow answered that already. As Krow suggested, looks like you really need hazard removal, be it through Rapid Spin or Defog. Volcarona and Ribombee can learn the latter.

EdvC7BS.gif

Hi, I think I can offer some advice.

First, it depends what tier you're using. Going off your status (which btw you need to click the save replay button and use that link otherwise you can't share the battle), you used it in Anything Goes.

Which, frankly, any team can win for the first couple hundred points in there easily.

That being said. Some issues right off the bat.

Almost everything has Focus Sash. Which, with hazards, priority moves, and tanky mons in general, is bad. Focus Sash should mostly be used on leads and occasionally set up mons for surprise. Golisipod in particular it's horrible on. If he goes down to 1 he would just Emergency Exit out right away. Plus if something can KO Golisipod in one hit you don't want Golisipod in on it usually unless you're saccing it (letting it get KOed to get something else in)

Modest Nature on Mons like Galvantula and Ribombee are a bit of a waste as their main draw is going first. +Speed natures are usually better on fast attackers.

Max HP > increased defenses if you're going with a bulky attacker.

Ninjask. Only in Anything Goes can you use Baton Pass with it and, frankly, after a few wins you'll end up against things far too powerful for Ninjask to face. It's just not good in Monobug as it is the example of all the weakness of Bugs.

Speaking of that. Bugs tend to good at a few things. Setting Hazards and hitting surprisingly hard are two of those. Your team...doesn't do that well.

The only Mons you have that take advantage of Sticky Webs are the ones that already have a way to boost their own speed. Unless max speed Heracross won't outspeed plenty of things even with Webs up.

Your team is full of just attackers, nothing that can really take a hit or two, and no recovery. You'd be picked apart by almost any competent balanced team, overwhelmed by any offensive team, and would struggle to break through walls of defensive teams.

If you're going to go all aggressive you need to commit to it more. And even then you certainly need ways to get rid of hazards because your team falls apart if they lead something that sets up a couple of any of the hazards in the game.

Now, lets look at these individually.

Galvantula. Fairly standard. Though again you need Speed more. And you do not need Thunder Wave. It really won't help your team all that much and it's a waste on a Pokemon like Galvantula. Rock is bad for bugs but it's an issue when your main lead, I assume, is useless against a Rock/Ground type.

Volcarona. Not bad exactly but a few things. One, if you're going full offensive Fire Blast over Fiery Dance is a must. Especially if you use Firium Z (unlike Krow I don't think Psycium is needed but it might be better). Also good god never give Volcarona Modest Nature. At +1 Speed Modest it can still get outsped by important things.

(Though again your team is a bit too offensive so a bulkier Volcarona with Roost might be a good idea)

Ribombee. To be frank the bee is too weak to fit onto a Monobug team. It doesn't add much and usually it works well on a team that can take advantage of its strengths and cover its weakness. Monotype doesn't work well with it. At least not Bug. Its main purpose is to set up Webs and against certain teams set up and take out Mons when something comes in to Defog or Spin away the Webs. Which is the role Galvantula and Volcarona serve here.

Heracross. Honestly in a Monotype Megacross is just weaker than Mega Pinsir. It's too slow and has too many common weaknesses. Regular Heracross, especially with Choice Scarf, can be a great revenge killer though.

Golisipod. I...never used it so I can't really say much. That being said Bug/Water/Poison is not really good coverage combo. Focus Sash is bad for it 100% as well. That being said Bug/Water types are decent on Bug Monotype in general. Honestly Aqua Jet will always be better on it than Poison Jab. The only things you'd use Poison Jab on are Fairies and Grass and Bug/Water coverage usually handles that.

Ninjask.....Don't use Ninjask unless you really, really, love it. And if you do giving it a single attacking move is not a good idea. Especially since it's such a weak move.

For a bit of fun, Dig + Groundium Z is hilarious.

Overall...the team suffers from not covering each other well, not being offensive enough for offense nor being bulky enough for anything else, not utilizing Bugs strong points, and relying on Focus Sash without any way to stop hazards or handle priority.

Archived