The Hills Are Alive!?

weeb

lYNkEW5.jpg

Art Credit: "yo bro is it safe down there in the woods? yeah man it's cool" by Tomislav Jagnjic

The Hills Are Alive!?

Continuous Spell

Effect: Field Spells, while they are in the Field Spell Zone, are also treated as Effect Monsters (Rock/EARTH/Level 10/ATK ?/DEF 0). If a Field Spell would be destroyed by Battle: you can destroy this card instead. Field Spells gain the following effect:

● Cannot be used as material for a Fusion, Synchro, Xyz, or Link Summon. Cannot attack directly, or be switched to Defense Position. Gains ATK equal to the number of other monsters you control x1000 (max. 3000).

Design Notes: This card has some interesting applications. The first and most obvious one is, it turns any Field Spell into a potentially 3000 ATK beater. Remember that Field Spells can be activated straight from your hand, rarely with any cost. So, imagine if there was a monster you could summon with 3k ATK and no cost and doesn’t even use up your Normal Summon; that’s basically what this card turns any Field Spell into. (Of course, the Field Spell’s ATK is dependent on how many active monsters you control, so its ATK could also be a pitiful 1000 or modest 2000). This easy access to a high ATK beater is also the reason why I made the card unable to declare direct attacks.

A potential downside is that this card also turns your opponent’s Field Spell into a monster as well, but there are a couple cheeky strategies that exploit this. Take note that its Destruction substitution effect is optional; that means you can activate this card to attack into your opponent’s Field Spell and destroy it by battle, no MST or Twin Twisters needed. (Incidentally, there was originally clause on the card that said that players don’t take Battle Damage from battles involving the Field Spell; this was initially made to protect the player, but I removed it because I liked the idea of attacking into an opponent’s field spell for damage. So, this actually turns the card’s “can’t be switched to Defense mode” into both an upside and a downside, depending on the situation.) Another thing is that Field Spells will be susceptible to negation via Skill Drain while this card is active. So hypothetically, you don’t even need to run a field spell yourself to use this card, it could just be a weird tech option against decks that are heavily reliant on Field Spells.

You can blame Link Monsters on why this card can’t be used for any Extra Deck summons. As an older player returning to the game, I’m not the most intimately familiar with Link monsters; I’ve read the rules and think I understand them, but I’ve never actually played with or against them. That said, from my understanding, I was concerned about how this card could be exploited in Link Climbing. Basically, let’s say you have control 1 monster, this card, and a Field spell. You also have two Field spells in your hand. If this card didn’t have the Extra deck material restriction, you could hypothetically send a field spell and a monster to the GY to summon a Link-2, then activate another Field Spell and do the same for a Link-3, and then activate another Field Spell and go into something like Gumblar or whatever. When I thought of this, I knew I had to put some brakes on the card.

That said, there are no restrictions on using this card as a Tribute, or to satisfy a cost that requires you to send a monster from the Field to the Grave, so it’s not all bad. You could Tribute a Field Spell to summon a Monarch, or tribute an opponent’s to summon a Kaiju. The fact it’s treated as a Level 10 could potentially cause it to play well with Ritual monsters. You could even tribute 3 Field Spells for the effect of Cannon Soldier. (Sure, it’s no Firewall OTK, but it’s something, right?)

At the end of the day, this is kind of a goofy card effect. The idea randomly came to my head today and thought it’d be fun to make and share. I doubt it’d ever see competitive play, but there’s more to YuGiOh than just the competitive scene; this is exactly the type of card that some people would try to use in some fun novelty deck, or maybe splash it in with some Malefics or something. It’s a card that messes with a fundamental game mechanic, it’s gotta be worth at least a little experimentation. Who knows, maybe there is some weird yet deadly strategy using this card that would make it competitive and I just haven’t thought of it.

Well, what do you guys think? Hopefully you like it.

That is an interesting concept and I can see you've put a lot of thought into the card.

I think one of the first issues you might encounter with it though, is that the game has a thing against allowing monsters and non-monsters to stay treated as their kind of cards when they exist in the other's zone. Examples like equipping a monster with Relinquished/Thousand Eyes Restrict, Union monsters equipping themselves, Monsters that are also treated as Traps like Zoma the Spirit or any Paleozoics, etc. It's part of the reason why Orichalcos doesn't allow Monsters in the S/T Zones protected by the front row like in the anime (on top of the concept of having like 10 monsters at a time, but that's another story).

The usual thing would be to have them act the same way as Trap Monsters do: Have your card move them to a Monster Zone and treat them as monsters, while also still treating them as Spells, sealing off the Field Zones they came from to signal they are technically occupying both. Likewise their effect would probably stay active even as monsters.... probably... I think you can control if that happens or not but I suppose keeping the effect is the main forte of keeping them in their field zone.

If that was the case, and since it cannot attack directly anyways, and both players get to have one anyways, I think you could get away with removing the limit to the ATK boost. If you are worried you can drop the stat boost a tiny little bit. Let's say 800 x.

Under the 1000x, you can get up to 5000 with no limiter (or 6000 with Extra Link but let's not take that into account here).

Under the 800x, you can get up to 4000, which I think is a very good beater.

Any two Level 4s give you access to Utopia the Lightning (potential 5000 ATK beater whose attack cannot be responded to) so I think you are good with it.

Regardless of things, I like how this card can give an extra avenue to floating field spells like Geartown letting them be destroyed by battle while having somewhat of a body to hit with, or be prone to monster removal effects like Raigeki or Dark Hole. I can imagine how cool it'd be to flip a Torrential Tribute and float into Reactor Dragon.

That is an interesting concept and I can see you've put a lot of thought into the card.

I think one of the first issues you might encounter with it though, is that the game has a thing against allowing monsters and non-monsters to stay treated as their kind of cards when they exist in the other's zone. Examples like equipping a monster with Relinquished/Thousand Eyes Restrict, Union monsters equipping themselves, Monsters that are also treated as Traps like Zoma the Spirit or any Paleozoics, etc. It's part of the reason why Orichalcos doesn't allow Monsters in the S/T Zones protected by the front row like in the anime (on top of the concept of having like 10 monsters at a time, but that's another story).

The usual thing would be to have them act the same way as Trap Monsters do: Have your card move them to a Monster Zone and treat them as monsters, while also still treating them as Spells, sealing off the Field Zones they came from to signal they are technically occupying both. Likewise their effect would probably stay active even as monsters.... probably... I think you can control if that happens or not but I suppose keeping the effect is the main forte of keeping them in their field zone.

If that was the case, and since it cannot attack directly anyways, and both players get to have one anyways, I think you could get away with removing the limit to the ATK boost. If you are worried you can drop the stat boost a tiny little bit. Let's say 800 x.

Under the 1000x, you can get up to 5000 with no limiter (or 6000 with Extra Link but let's not take that into account here).

Under the 800x, you can get up to 4000, which I think is a very good beater.

Any two Level 4s give you access to Utopia the Lightning (potential 5000 ATK beater whose attack cannot be responded to) so I think you are good with it.

Regardless of things, I like how this card can give an extra avenue to floating field spells like Geartown letting them be destroyed by battle while having somewhat of a body to hit with, or be prone to monster removal effects like Raigeki or Dark Hole. I can imagine how cool it'd be to flip a Torrential Tribute and float into Reactor Dragon.

Yeah, I kind of thought about Trap Monsters afterwards - so I might edit the card to make it behave more like that. The reason I worded it the way I did was because I wanted to be clear that the Spell only makes Field Spells treated as monsters while they are on the field, and not in the GY or hand or anywhere else. Trap monsters are a little different because they turn themselves into monsters, whereas this card imposes monster status on another card. But I think you make a good point, so I'll probably make that change. 

For the ATK restriction, I am considering raising the cap to something like "max. 4000," or do like you said and fiddle with the multiplier. I also considered doing something with making its ATK change based on the number of monsters on the entire field, but I feel like if I did that it would make the card harder to attack into. 

And about that floater/Dark Hole or Torrential Tribute combo... I actually didn't think of that, but that is really cool. Thanks for the feedback 

Yeah, I kind of thought about Trap Monsters afterwards - so I might edit the card to make it behave more like that. The reason I worded it the way I did was because I wanted to be clear that the Spell only makes Field Spells treated as monsters while they are on the field, and not in the GY or hand or anywhere else. Trap monsters are a little different because they turn themselves into monsters, whereas this card imposes monster status on another card. But I think you make a good point, so I'll probably make that change. 

For the ATK restriction, I am considering raising the cap to something like "max. 4000," or do like you said and fiddle with the multiplier. I also considered doing something with making its ATK change based on the number of monsters on the entire field, but I feel like if I did that it would make the card harder to attack into. 

And about that floater/Dark Hole or Torrential Tribute combo... I actually didn't think of that, but that is really cool. Thanks for the feedback 

I confess there is a tricky issue I'm still trying to figure out about my suggestion. Trap Monsters not only bestow the effect upon themselves, but they also have a very defined activation sequence. Activate Trap > Resolves > A line of text says "after activation Special Summon this card...".  However, your card is a Continuous Spell that keeps Spells as monster hybrids for as long as it remains on the field, which means that as Field Spells come and go in and out of the field, this they instantly get the treatment of monsterification with stats and all.... I don't really know how to go about that wording, otherwise I would have probably posted one ^^"

I'm probably not the best to discuss wording with, since I'm still relatively new to this style of OCG, but I think that having the card have a line of dialogue similar to the trap monsters where the card is Special Summoned, but is still a Field Spell, would allow you to work around having the Field Spell Card Zone locked by having it out (As you can only control 1 Field Spell if I'm correct in this). If you did that, you would probably have to have a clause in the card to return the Field Spell to the Field Spell Card Zone once your card is destroyed. Even with not being able to attack, it's still adding a monster that can attack to the field, meaning that, even though your Opponent would have access to it, they might not be running a Field Spell, giving you a massive advantage by having a big ol' beatstick that they have not got access to.

That being said, even though I think I came across negativly, I love this card. The the thematic idea of Geartown and Closed Forrest having a massive Kaiju battle around the Duel would be very entertaining, and it is a very unique concept. Plus, as previously stated, it can be used to combo into things in a weird and impressive way. Other than changing the wording up a bit to Special Summon it but still treat it as a Field Spell to make the card a bit fairer, I think it's fine. Also, I agree with removing the ATK cap, there's no need for it.

Yeah, solid card.

Clever concept, but as Sleepy pointed out, it has some conflicts with current card mechanics. For instance, Trap monsters become monsters once they resolve, and AFAIK they cannot go back to being Traps, or vice-versa, but since this card continuously induces the monster transformation on the Field, the Fields would be able to change back and forth if this Spell is removed and replaced. IDK if you would to treat each time it becomes a monster as a new Special Summon. Maybe an effect like "If this card is activated, or when a Field Spell is activated while this card is face-up on the field: Special Summon Field Spells on the field an Effect Monsters..."

Although then the Field monsters wouldn't be able to revert back into Fields if this card is removed from the field.

That aside, while I like the idea of turning Fields into monsters for applications already mentioned, I'm not to keen on the effects the Field have as a monster: preventing it from being used as any Extra Deck (ED) monster material looks like a mouthful, and prone to be abused when/if another ED monster type is released that can use it as material. Plus I'm not a fan of its stat-boosting effect, feels a bit too on the overkill side in that it rewards you for establishing a board or just swarming, but can punish you when you don't. I would prefer something more balanced, so to speak.

Dropping a text fix wit my above suggestion:

If this card is activated, or if a Field Spell(s) is activated while this card is face-up on the field: Special Summon Field Spell(s) in the Field Spell Zones as Effect Monsters (Rock/EARTH/Level 10/ATK ?/DEF 0). on their owner's fields. If a Field Spell would be destroyed by battle, you can destroy this card instead. Face-up Field Spells on the field gain the following effect:

● Cannot be used as material for a Fusion, Synchro, Xyz, or Link Summon. Cannot attack directly, or be changed to Defense Position. This card gains ATK equal to the number of other monsters you control x 1000 (max. 3000).

Anyway, the card's name and the fact that it is a Cont. Spell remind me of "Attack the Moon" xD
Funnily enough, both involve Rock monsters.

Thanks to everyone, I appreciate all the feedback

I'm probably not the best to discuss wording with, since I'm still relatively new to this style of OCG, but I think that having the card have a line of dialogue similar to the trap monsters where the card is Special Summoned, but is still a Field Spell, would allow you to work around having the Field Spell Card Zone locked by having it out (As you can only control 1 Field Spell if I'm correct in this). If you did that, you would probably have to have a clause in the card to return the Field Spell to the Field Spell Card Zone once your card is destroyed. Even with not being able to attack, it's still adding a monster that can attack to the field, meaning that, even though your Opponent would have access to it, they might not be running a Field Spell, giving you a massive advantage by having a big ol' beatstick that they have not got access to.

That being said, even though I think I came across negativly, I love this card. The the thematic idea of Geartown and Closed Forrest having a massive Kaiju battle around the Duel would be very entertaining, and it is a very unique concept. Plus, as previously stated, it can be used to combo into things in a weird and impressive way. Other than changing the wording up a bit to Special Summon it but still treat it as a Field Spell to make the card a bit fairer, I think it's fine. Also, I agree with removing the ATK cap, there's no need for it.

Yeah, solid card.

Clever concept, but as Sleepy pointed out, it has some conflicts with current card mechanics. For instance, Trap monsters become monsters once they resolve, and AFAIK they cannot go back to being Traps, or vice-versa, but since this card continuously induces the monster transformation on the Field, the Fields would be able to change back and forth if this Spell is removed and replaced. IDK if you would to treat each time it becomes a monster as a new Special Summon. Maybe an effect like "If this card is activated, or when a Field Spell is activated while this card is face-up on the field: Special Summon Field Spells on the field an Effect Monsters..."

Although then the Field monsters wouldn't be able to revert back into Fields if this card is removed from the field.

That aside, while I like the idea of turning Fields into monsters for applications already mentioned, I'm not to keen on the effects the Field have as a monster: preventing it from being used as any Extra Deck (ED) monster material looks like a mouthful, and prone to be abused when/if another ED monster type is released that can use it as material. Plus I'm not a fan of its stat-boosting effect, feels a bit too on the overkill side in that it rewards you for establishing a board or just swarming, but can punish you when you don't. I would prefer something more balanced, so to speak.

Dropping a text fix wit my above suggestion:

If this card is activated, or if a Field Spell(s) is activated while this card is face-up on the field: Special Summon Field Spell(s) in the Field Spell Zones as Effect Monsters (Rock/EARTH/Level 10/ATK ?/DEF 0). on their owner's fields. If a Field Spell would be destroyed by battle, you can destroy this card instead. Face-up Field Spells on the field gain the following effect:

● Cannot be used as material for a Fusion, Synchro, Xyz, or Link Summon. Cannot attack directly, or be changed to Defense Position. This card gains ATK equal to the number of other monsters you control x 1000 (max. 3000).

To make the card more in-step with game mechanics, maybe I can errata the text from "Field Spells, while they are in the Field Spell Zone, are also treated as Effect Monsters..." to:

"If this card is activated, and while this card is face-up on the field, Field Spells are Special Summoned to Monster Zones and are also treated as Effect Monsters (Rock/EARTH/Level 10/ATK ?/DEF 0). If this card leaves the field, place face-up Field Spells in the Field Spell zone." 

It's a bit wordier, but it definitely fills in some blanks when compared to my original text. 

For the stat boost, my concept was that since Field Spells are tied to the field and since they usually benefit monsters somehow, it would be an interesting script-flip to have Field Spell monsters benefit from the other monsters. That said, I think that you make a good point about balance with rewarding/punishing how much a player swarms. I wasn't thinking of that, but now that I am I agree with you. What would you think about an effect that bases its stat boost off of how many monsters there on the field in total, perhaps changing it to something like "This card gains ATK equal the number of monsters on the field x600 (max. 3000)."  

This change makes it so that the Field Spell actually includes itself in the stat boost ("number of other monsters" gets shortened to "number of monsters"), but lowers the stat boost while including all monsters on the field. The old card would be, if you have the field spell and three other monsters, its ATK would be 3000, but with this change if you have the field spell and three other monsters it only has 2400. 

Even with this change, I still have the cap, because personally I wouldn't want someone to just slap a 5000 ATK monster on the field with the ease it takes to activate (well, in this case, Summon) a field spell. Even with the other limitations, removing the cap wouldn't sit right with me.. But, hopefully this change makes it more balanced this way. 

Anyway, the card's name and the fact that it is a Cont. Spell remind me of "Attack the Moon" xD
Funnily enough, both involve Rock monsters.

Hah, that is an awesome card. One of the most iconic (and insane) moments from Duelist Kingdom for sure.  

Archived