Gagagigo Archetype

Jerrytkrot

Hello there lovely people. I'm certain that at some point, you've come across a normal monster, and laughed at its ridiculous name, and thanked the executives at Konami for not trying to make an awkwardly worded archetype based on this pointless, but admittedly amusing piece of Yugioh History. Some examples that come to mind are Nefarious Marmot of Nefariousness, Tatsunootoshigo, and of course, Little D. In my personal opinion, no card name is quite as stupid as Gogiga Gagagigo, or any of the other "Gigo" monsters, for that matter. For some reason, I felt that these cards which were obviously tied together needed to become more than just a joke. They needed to become a fully functional and unique archetype, while still maintaining the completely ridiculous flavor of their roots. Here.

Firstly, some Normal Monsters.

Gagigo
Water Reptile Normal Level 2
ATK/750 DEF/500
This young hero has a heart of gold, but keeps getting picked on for his ridiculous name. 

Giga Gigo
Water Reptile Normal Level 3
ATK/1350 DEF/800
After becoming disillusioned with the hero's life, this renegade took on a new identity and fights for the highest payer.

Gogagagigo
Water Reptile Normal Level 6
ATK/2650 DEF/1700
After disposing of an evil dictator, this morally compromised adventurer filled his power vaccum and ruled with an iron fist.

Giga Gagigo
Water Reptile Normal Level 7
ATK/2850 DEF/2000
This powerful creature found that history repeats itself and lost control of his illegitamately seized throne, being left to wander the barren plains of his ruined empire.

These are the truly interesting part of the archetype, and I had to spend a long time making sure that they were balanced, but I think in the end, they turned out very fair and very fun to play.

Ok but seriously though, here's the part that you were waiting for. The obligatory consistency boosting and utterly ridiculous line up of backrow that makes flooding your deck with normal monsters remotely worth it.

Gigogagigathering
Continous Spell
Once per turn, you can send two cards from your hand to the GY to add a "Gigo" normal monster and a "Gigo" Spell from your deck to your hand. During the end phase of the turn this effect was activated, shuffle a card from your graveyard into your deck or destroy this card.

Antagigogagonize
Continuous Spell
When a “gigo” Normal Monster you control in face-up Attack Position is destroyed by battle: excavate the top card of your opponent’s Deck, and if you do, until the end of this turn, your opponent cannot activate the effects of cards with that card’s name, also, choose 1 of these effects.
• Add that card to your opponent’s hand, and if you do, add that destroyed monster to your hand, then banish the top card of your opponent’s Deck.
• Banish that card, and if you do, inflict damage to your opponent equal to the destroyed monster’s ATK in the GY.
• Add that card to your hand.

Go-Go-Gagagigo!
Continous Spell
Once per turn, special summon one LVL 4 or lower "Gigo" normal monster from your deck. It gains 1050 ATK until the end of the turn. You can normal summon an additional "Gigo" normal monster each turn.

Gigogagigateway
Continous Spell
Once per turn, if you tribute summon a "Gigo" monster, using only normal “Gigo” monsters, special summon up to two of the tributes used from the graveyard. You can tribute summon an additional "Gigo" monster once per turn.

Gagigigo Vigagigor
Continous Spell
If a "Gigo" normal monster you control attacks, your opponent cannot target that card with card effects until the end of the damage step, and then If the level of the attacking monster is lower then the level of the defending monster, the attacking monster gains 500 ATK X the difference in LVLs until the end of the turn.

Gigo Gagigigrow
Field Spell
If a Normal "Gigo" Monster you control destroys a Monster by battle, you can send it to the GY, then special summon one "Gigo" Monster from the extra deck with the same original LVL as the sent monster to the same monster zone. If you activate this effect, your opponent gains LP equal to your the ATK of the monster sent to the graveyard. The special summoned monster cannot attack this turn. Every time a monster is special summoned to your side of the field, shuffle one card from your GY into your deck or destroy this card. "Gigo" spells cards are unaffected by your opponent’s card effects during your main phase. "Gigo" cards cannot be destroyed by your opponent's card effects.

And finally, the extra deck monsters. They all as absurd as I could make them, having the most off the wall card effects that I could imagine while still being viable and not quite overpowered.

Gagigo Gagigangster
Water Reptile Fusion Effect Level 1
ATK/1350 DEF/600
Can only be summoned by the effect of “Gigo Gagagigrow”. This card is treated as a normal monster. If this monster attacks, before damage calculation, you can banish the defending monster face down, then destroy this card. This monster cannot be targeted for attacks. If this card is sent to the extra deck, you can destroy a set card on the field.

Gagigo Augigogurer
Water Reptile Fusion Effect Level 2
ATK/1750 DEF/1000
Can only be summoned by the effect of “Gigo Gagagigrow”. If this monster attacks, you can reveal one "Gigo" Continous Spell from your deck. Target "Gigo" Continous Spell with a different name than the revealed gains the effects of the revealed card in addition to its current effects, then banish the revealed card face down. A Spell can only be targeted by “Gagigo Augigogurer” once per duel. If this card is sent to the extra deck, you can destroy a face-up spell or trap card on the field.

Gagigo Gagigaurd
Water Reptile Fusion Effect Level 3
ATK/2350 DEF/1600
Can only be summoned by the effect of “Gigo Gagagigrow”. If a monster you control would leave the field, you can shuffle this card into the deck instead. During your turn, this card cannot be destroyed by your opponent’s card effects. If this card is sent to the extra deck by a card effect other than its own, draw 1 card.

Gagigo Navigigogator
Water Reptile Fusion Effect Level 4
ATK/2850 DEF/2000
Can only be summoned by the effect of “Gigo Gagagigrow”. Once per turn, if a normal "Gigo" monster is shuffled into the deck from the GY, inflict damage to your opponent equal to half it’s attack. This monster can attack directly, but its attack is halved until the end of the turn. If this card is sent to the extra deck, add the top card of your opponent’s deck to your hand.

Giga Gigogagigallant
Water Reptile Fusion Effect Level 5
ATK/3450 DEF/2300
Can only be summoned by the effect of Gigo Gagagigrow. This card can make two attacks each battle phase. If this monster destroys an opponent’s monster by battle, it gains the attack of that monster until the end of the turn. If this card is sent to the extra deck, reveal the top five cards of your deck, and special summon as many revealed "Gigo" monsters as possible.

Giga Gigogargigagoyle
Water Reptile Fusion Effect Level 6
ATK/3550 DEF/2500
Can only be summoned by the effect of Gigo Gagagigrow. While this card is on the field, all monsters on the field are treated as normal monsters. If this card destroys a monster by battle, add one “gigo” card from your deck to your hand. If this card is sent to the extra deck, special summon a monster from your opponent’s GY to your side of the field.

Giga Gigogladiator
Water Reptile Fusion Effect Level 7
ATK/3850 DEF/2800
Can only be summoned by the effect of Gigo Gagagigrow. Once per turn, when your opponent activates a monster effect in Chain to the activation of a card or effect: Negate that effect, then your opponent can banish 1 card from their hand or Deck with the same original name as that card. If they do not banish a card, you can banish 1 random card from your opponent's hand. If this card is sent to the extra deck, Destroy all spell and trap cards your opponent controls unless they banish 3 cards from their field.

Giga Profligigogate
Water Reptile Fusion Effect Level 8
ATK/3950 DEF/3500
Can only be summoned by the effect of Gigo Gagagigrow. All monsters you control with original attack lower than this card gain 1500 ATK. When this card destroys an opponent’s monster by battle, banish that card face down, then inflict damage to your opponent equal to its attack. When this card is sent to the extra deck, you can add one card on the field to your hand.

Gigogagagogigo
Water Reptile Fusion Effect Level 10
ATK/4150 DEF/2800
[2 “gigo” fusion monsters]
This card must first be special summoned from the extra deck by sending the above cards you control to the graveyard during your opponent’s turn. When this monster attacks, your opponent chooses a monster from their extra deck. Move this monster to any zone, and then special summon it to your side of the field in any monster zone. Destroy that monster at the end of the turn. When this monster is sent to the extra deck, banish two cards, except “Gigogagagigo” from your extra deck, then send one of them back to the extra deck.

Gigagigogagagogigogaugiogoiguigoa
Water Reptile Fusion Effect Level 12
ATK/4550 DEF/2500
[3 “gigo” fusion monsters]
This card must first be special summoned from the extra deck by sending the above cards you control to the graveyard during your opponent’s turn. When this monster attacks, negate the effects of all cards your opponent controls until the end of the damage step. When this card is sent to the extra deck, banish a "Gigo Gagagigrow" you control, then return every card on the field to the hand.

Yeah. These are weird cards. The spirit of the Gagagigo cards and how they are constantly powering up into more powerful versions was the main inspiration for this archetype, so hopefully, I executed it well.

Spoilers are your friend, to help your archetype look less intimidating for people who come and find a wall of text. Using-

[spoiler=test]text

more text
[/spoiler]

-gives you-

[spoiler=test]text

more text

I'd suggest using one for the original Normal Monsters, one for your Spells and one for your custom monsters. Anyway, onto the cards themselves!

Your card grammar is very iffy. Normally I don't comment on this, but missing out the rules of colons/semicolons leads to confusing card texts, like on Go-Go-Gagagigo!, which isn't clear on whether the Normal Summoning bit isn't an add-on to the first effect or just a continuous thing on its own or not. It doesn't have to perfect, just readable :P

Sorry to continue with the negative spree, but I don't like the always treated as Normal monsters shtick. I can understand it applying in the Extra Deck and even GY, but there's no precedent for an effect monster on the field that isn't treated as an effect monster. I mean, could its effects even apply if it wasn't an effect monster? Fiendish Chain and Breakthrough Skill couldn't target it, so it's very weird. I'd suggest just own that your Fusions are Fusions, and work from there.

Will note that yeah, this cards are funny. Card grammar hurt it a bit for me as said above, as it makes it a pain to read, but the names and walls of text are exactly the the kind of thing I was expecting, seeing your old title :P Although I've always tried to take the set seriously, yours I think finds the humour that was always there.

[spoiler=Spells]Go-Go-Gagagigo! and Gigo Gigarow are easily 2 of the best cards in the spells. Both teeter on the edge of being too strong, particularly the latter with such a wide arrange of effects. I don't know why you have the GY shuffling, as it's a pretty weird cost that we've only really seen on the SPYRAL field Spell, in the fact that it's not really so much a cost as a box to tick once you've done plays. Gigogagigathering in fact fuels its cost a lot more than it has to pay, so doubly weird there. At least there's the interaction with the Fusions. It's also weird how on the Field Spell, you protect your continuous Spells for the Main Phase, yet you protect all "Gigo" cards all the time from destruction. I'd go with one or the other tbh, or at least leave the latter to monsters. Why not extend it to continuous Traps as well, so you can make cards like Antagigogagonize more surprising?

Other than me liking Vigagigor a lot as it fits well with the lore of the archetype, and perhaps it should fit as a Trap too, this archetype is really too weird for me to properly comment on it. It would probably fit better in casual, tbh, as you've chosen to go for ultimate power in places and be absurdly and detrimentally chaotic in others. There's also Link monsters to keep in mind, with the Tribute Summoning Spell and the SSing from Deck Spell netting you 3 monsters without you using up your Normal Summon.

[spoiler=Extra Deck]As for the Fusion Monsters...they work, I guess? It's very battle-centric, which does definitely fit the virtually non-existent theme before these sets, but you have some really powerful cards here. Giga Gigogargigagoyle is a powerful generic card, if you can find a way to send it to the GY, a la Gale Dogra or even in Nekroz for the Level 10 with Herald of the Arc Light. It takes a bit of effort, but imagine grabbing being able to grab any opponent's boss monster you can get over, all for the cost of a small Gaggagigo engine. Giga Gigogagigallant Special Summoning up to 5 monsters shows that even if you make the cards much more archetypal reliant (like Orphegels) you still have very powerful cards here. Both need nerfs, but they're not the only ones; try compare your cards to cards in the current game who have similar effects, to see how they compare in terms of power. That's a good way to be able to gauge that sort of thing for yourself.

Gigogagagogigo is definitely the stronger card of the pair, with you only playing Gigagigogagagogigogaugiogoiguigoa to trigger with the former's last trigger ability. There's not really a precedent for Summoning a monster "inherently" (Special Summoning without starting a chain, a la most Extra Deck monsters, Pendulum Summoning, Cyber Dragon etc.) so I have no idea how it would work chain wise. When could you Summon it? Probably only when you have priority and not mid-chain, meaning these cards would only work when Summoned at the end of the Draw/Standby Phase. Still, grabbing a monster from your opponent's Extra Deck? They have to choose between giving you a strong monster and giving you a monster they won't want to Summon later. At the very least, return it to the Extra Deck.

Also, there's very little room in your main deck with all of the spells to be able to run all of the Normal Monsters. You should look through your Fusion Monsters, see what ones correspond to good Gigos and vice versa, and ditch the rest. For instance, the Level 1-4 Gigos are automatically the best due to the host of support already in the meta-game, with perhaps the Level 8 being good for a beatstick and the Tribute Summon-based Continuous Spell.

These cards have a weird execution, and while that may be the intention, you've left with a very Saitama archetype, minus his invincibility. You take out the Field Spell, all of the monsters here are fair game, even the Spells/Traps. You don't even have a searcher for the Field Spell, and so this set falls into the category of "overly reliant on 1 card", along with "power level all over the place" with your extremely bloated set. While I think you got what you aimed for, I don't think that's necessarily a good thing.

One the one hand, this is technically a joke set, but on the other hand, its in Advanced Multiples, and so these cards must be judged accordingly. I'm sad to say I don't think they're anywhere need the standards at the moment, and would suggest you either get this moved or do some serious reworking.

Archived