The OCG booster price rise, and why you should care.

https://ygorganization.com/therisingcostofdueling/

I know this is only going to affect the OCG in Japan (for the moment), but this will have an affect TCG in the near future and it could be dicey to say the least. For starters, here is part of the quote from Konami in regards to this; "We thank our customers for their patronage over the past 20 years, and we have maintained the price of our booster packs from the start of the game until now without any change, but due to the impact of rising costs for raw production materials and transportation, after April 2019’s “Yu-Gi-Oh! Official Card Game Duel Monsters RISING RAMPAGE”, we will be altering the price of some of our products." 

What this means is a few things; first like any other successful business this means more and more people are playing the game and thus buying products so of course they would to have to raise prices on the products to offset the costs of production and distribution. This is a good thing and happens all the time, however in Japan there is a population crisis (they aren't making babies as often as they should be) and they now have a population that is aging far faster than most other parts of Asia and other countries in the world, as such this could mean that many Japan-based franchises like Yu-Gi-Oh! could, in the near future, see a drop off in support from fans as they get older and fall away from said franchises. You could in part blame climate change for the scarcity of materials and creating treacherous conditions for transporting those materials, but I don't know by what percentage this would apply to the Yu-Gi-Oh! OCG/TCG.

The things you need to pay attention to are the following (keeping in mind these things might not happen for a few years from now). Since Yu-Gi-Oh! is owned by Konami, and Konami is based in Japan, it is subject to market forces first and foremost among Japanese people; so if the game is falling out of favor with Japanese people than Konami might have to hike the prices of the boosters and other products, or just cancel the game. Also keep in mind even if the game is really popular in the U.S. or Europe, or just anywhere outside Japan, that won't matter as most businesses tend to rely on people in their immediate surroundings for financial support, and if the people of Japan decide not to support Yu-Gi-Oh! anymore, then that is what Konami will base its decisions on before the rest of the world.

On the other hand, if the game is becoming more successful online as seen with Duel Links, (again this might not happen for a very long time), then in the future Konami could just simply switch over the Yu-Gi-Oh! OCG/TCG from a physical game into a digital game as a means to cut cost while still making a profit. It wouldn't take much for Konami to turn Duel Links from what it is into a fully fledged online Yu-Gi-Oh! game just like its physical counterpart, so they can attract those long-standing players who don't play Duel Links right now (of course they will keep Speed Duels as a game mode). I honestly don't know what is going to happen with the game in the future, but I do love to speculate on what could happen and even if you disagree with me I think this needed to be said.

Well a part of rising prices with the fame of Yu-gi-oh could also mean their increasing the size of the packs from 80 to 100 like how they increased them from 60 to 80 along time ago with Tactical Evolution.

Which is a part of what I said in the beginning the game is getting more successful and thus they need to raise prices on certain items, but I like to think of all possibilities so I don't get a bad surprise later on.

Archived