U.S. Government Set to Shutdown for Third Time This Year

320 replies to this topic

Phantom Roxas

Phantom Roxas

Legendary Member

• The Chariot
  • 26,808 posts
    Last Visit 5 minutes ago

So how exactly could Trump never got the funding he needed over the past two years when the GOP controlled both the House and the Senate?

Ryusei the Morning Star

Ryusei the Morning Star

• Night's Watch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,979 posts
    Last Visit 11 minutes ago
  • Discord:#0196
  • Spouse:Fate

So how exactly could Trump never got the funding he needed over the past two years when the GOP controlled both the House and the Senate?

Because Roxas, the GOP never controlled the senate. You need 60 votes to pass anything in the senate. And the GOP only had 53 ever

GQB7sDc.gifH1TI5wa.pngsp8QpRU.gif

bngoeJd.gif

Phantom Roxas

Phantom Roxas

Legendary Member

• The Chariot
  • 26,808 posts
    Last Visit 5 minutes ago

Controlling the Senate is not the same as having the 60 votes. I'm referring to how they had the majority. What is so different now that he'll shut the government down over funding he couldn't get for the past two years?

Proto

Proto

Mayo on the side

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,969 posts
    Last Visit Today, 02:42 AM

https://www.miamiher...e225083120.html

we're back in business

with no wall funding wow great use of 35 days

you aren't even an anime.

Nathanael D. Striker

Nathanael D. Striker

My Friends Are My Power!

• Topic Starter
  • Twilight Wanderer

• 19,657 posts
    Last Visit Yesterday, 11:57 PM
  • Discord:Striker#1560
  • Alias:Striker

https://www.miamiher...e225083120.html

we're back in business

with no wall funding wow great use of 35 days

Yea, for three weeks. Then odds are we get to enjoy this mess all over again.

eqa4wo.jpg

Phantom Roxas

Phantom Roxas

Legendary Member

• The Chariot
  • 26,808 posts
    Last Visit 5 minutes ago

Trump completely caved here. Amazing. Seems like it's only staying open for three weeks because he thinks that'll make a difference in getting his wall money.

vla1ne

vla1ne

Edited for spelling errors.

• Elite Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,800 posts
    Last Visit Yesterday, 06:41 PM
  • Spouse:Lung Tien Lien

You know it could also be for those people who weren't getting paid for their work. makes sense to reopen things to at least keep people from going homeless.

"Watch, Listen, and Think For Yourself"

nothing of interest

My friend codes are:
ThatGuy @4957-40030345 PM me and I'll add you.

Phantom Roxas

Phantom Roxas

Legendary Member

• The Chariot
  • 26,808 posts
    Last Visit 5 minutes ago

For three weeks, so chances are that their backpay will only last them for so long. Trump is the entire reason they weren't getting paid in the first place.

https://www.newsweek...promise-1307227

Despite Trump's executive order and spending $60.7M to 15,000 new border agents, the CBP has only 33 new hires, while Border Patrol saw a net gain of 120 agents. However, the CBP job vacancies have grown from 1,000 to 3,000 since the order demanding a hiring surge.

So job vacancies tripled despite $60.7 million in funding, and yet Trump wants $5.7 billion for a wall that does not even target the most commonly used ports of entry? What a waste of money.

vla1ne

vla1ne

• Elite Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,800 posts

Him opening the government for 3 weeks is a blatant show of compromise. he hasn't left since the shutdown began, all the while others have been on vacation after vacation, while the people most affected lose paycheck after paycheck. you think people don't notice that? Hell, Pelosi was gonna take 7 days off to use taxpayer money to fly out of country, all but guaranteeing yet another weeks extension of the shutdown. Just look at the actions taken during the shutdown. doesn't matter who takes the blame, only one person has been in office, ready to talk the entire time. only one person has been making steady concessions, reducing their requests one at a time. only one person has given the opposition everything they demanded not 10 minutes prior, only to get it thrown out regardless. People were hating on him when they thought he wouldn't reopen the government to help along the people truly suffering, Yet here we are. I'd say he made a smart move. The workers are finally getting their back pay, and 3 weeks to prepare for the next potential bout of the shutdown. They don't deserve to be harmed by congress refusing to bend. trump has made all necessary concessions, and i guarantee you yet again, that no matter what trump does, short of taking practically nothing and giving literally everything, the democrats will never  agree. not because they disagree with his policies (they do, but that doesn't even matter) but because he is trump.

the budget makes room for 15000 more hires, the ability to do so swiftly is another question entirely. in either case, they now have the ability to actually do so, and they have the ability to maintain operations with fewer budget restrictions. yeah, the lack of new hires sucks, but the money is there for it, among other things. That's a decent start. personally, i don't expect 15000 people to pop out of nowhere for the job, but allocating room for even half that number means that they can at the very least, make the process smoother on the financial backing front. 

His wall schematic has been modified since his election, according to the requests of the people who actually work along the border, and the input of construction experts. With a 4+ trillion dollar budget, asking for 5 billion to get started is pennies on the dollar. There's even a side millitary fund with 80-100 billion at any given time stashed to the side that he can easily pull from. It would be like me having 40K, and being asked for 50 bucks. It's nothing bank breaking. people only pretend it is to get the outrage started. what is 5 billion, or even 25 billion, to a 4 trillion budget? We spend more than that on  social programs that we don't need, We give more than that in foreign assistance (aka free money to other countries). we save more than that by pulling out of syria, We drop more than that on regulation enforcement, it's literally nothing in comparison, and the effect has been shown in countries like israel and egypt, to be multiplied greatly, when combined with proper surveillance, personnel, and legislation. It's not just the wall, it's everything that combos with it. surveillance and personnel are useless without some form of barrier to prevent entry, legislation alone does nothing to drug and human traffickers, as both are already illegal, the wall is what ties it all together. It's the physical deterrent that allows the other aspects to increase efficacy.

nothing of interest

My friend codes are:

Ryusei the Morning Star

Ryusei the Morning Star

• Night's Watch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,979 posts

https://www.cnbc.com...t-shutdown.html

Get cucked

bngoeJd.gif

vla1ne

vla1ne

• Elite Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,800 posts

Get cucked

Not necessary.

Still, it's good news that job growth isn't slowing down because of this spectacle. America's still doing well enough, even while the government's not.

nothing of interest

My friend codes are:

Ryusei the Morning Star

Ryusei the Morning Star

• Night's Watch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,979 posts

Not necessary.

Still, it's good news that job growth isn't slowing down because of this spectacle. America's still doing well enough, even while the government's not.

The government is almost unneeded. You could run a skeleton crew and be fine

bngoeJd.gif

Phantom Roxas

Phantom Roxas

Legendary Member

• The Chariot
  • 26,808 posts
    Last Visit 5 minutes ago

The article suggests that some of the consequences of the shutdown have yet to take their full effect, and that the factors for economic growth were likely already in place prior to the shutdown.

"Gimbel adds that 'this can be bad news for federal agencies who are looking to replace them in a tight market' and says that while January’s jobs report does provide a little bit of comfort, it 'should not distract from a very real hurt that many workers suffered during the shutdown.'"

Ryusei the Morning Star

Ryusei the Morning Star

• Night's Watch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,979 posts

The article suggests that some of the consequences of the shutdown have yet to take their full effect, and that the factors for economic growth were likely already in place prior to the shutdown.

"Gimbel adds that 'this can be bad news for federal agencies who are looking to replace them in a tight market' and says that while January’s jobs report does provide a little bit of comfort, it 'should not distract from a very real hurt that many workers suffered during the shutdown.'"

That's different. Sure not getting a paycheck might hurt you, but we could can all those people (who mostly vote democrat anyway) and the economy would be fine

bngoeJd.gif

Phantom Roxas

Phantom Roxas

Legendary Member

• The Chariot
  • 26,808 posts
    Last Visit 5 minutes ago

There is nothing about this shutdown that proves that anarchy has any merit, nor that it would preserve the economy as it is.

Nathanael D. Striker

Nathanael D. Striker

My Friends Are My Power!

• Topic Starter
  • Twilight Wanderer

• 19,657 posts
    Last Visit Yesterday, 11:57 PM
  • Discord:Striker#1560
  • Alias:Striker
https://www.cnbc.com...ce=twitter|main
https://www.cnn.com/...bill/index.html

Looks like another Shutdown has been averted, but let the legal battles begin.

eqa4wo.jpg

vla1ne

vla1ne

• Elite Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,800 posts

It won't avert any of the petty fighting that goes on in and between congress and the executive branch, but it'll keep the government from ruining the workers pay cycles again. the lawsuits likely won't amount to much. He has multiple precedents he can pull from prior presidents on the topic.

nothing of interest

My friend codes are:

Phantom Roxas

Phantom Roxas

Legendary Member

• The Chariot
  • 26,808 posts
    Last Visit 5 minutes ago

He's already openly stated that he doesn't need to do this, and is only doing this to get the money faster. It's less that he's working off of precedent, and more that he's just being entirely impatient. I don't think he has much of a legal case if his main argument comes down to "I want my money and I want it NOW!"

Ryusei the Morning Star

Ryusei the Morning Star

• Night's Watch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,979 posts
If it wasn't an emergency why would he need to do it faster? He doesn't need to do it this way cuz ideally the democrats wouldn't be traitors

bngoeJd.gif

Phantom Roxas

Phantom Roxas

Legendary Member

• The Chariot
  • 26,808 posts
    Last Visit 5 minutes ago

If it wasn't an emergency why would he need to do it faster? He doesn't need to do it this way cuz ideally the democrats wouldn't be traitors

That's exactly my point. If he doesn't need to do it faster, it doesn't sound like there's much of an emergency. This comes down his own personal preference.

zQu6ewx.png

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users