o_smily

o_smily

Cannot be used in a Duel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts
    Last Visit Today, 01:29 AM
  • Discord:Osmily#7336

This is an Archetype that I have been working on in DB, and I have no idea where to go now. I earnestly do believe that the cards are interesting and well-made, but I just feel that they can be better.  I have been suggested that I incorporate it into Mermails and Atlanteans somehow, but I am not sure how to do so; that would require extensive changes for my cards that I'm not sure I would be able to supply. That's why I brought it here. Thoughts are always appreciated.

Forbidden Drinks - 3 cards

Forbidden Vessels - 3 cards

Support - 2 cards

Strategy

o_smily

o_smily

Cannot be used in a Duel

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Edited the Forbidden Vessel monsters to make them more unique.

o_smily

o_smily

Cannot be used in a Duel

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

~Bump

Dova

Dova

DovaMod

• Junior Moderators
  • 3,762 posts
    Last Visit Jan 17 2019 08:36 PM
  • Discord:Dova#1498
  • Alias:Dova
  • Spouse:Dova

Probably don't need a spoiler for each card in the archetype; too many spoilers can also give the impression of a huge set of cards, and that may have been turning people off looking through them...me included haha. Maybe just for the Drinks, Vessels and other Support?

There's so much variety among this set. The Types, the effects, and the stats all based around a simple set of 9 cards. Shame you don't get more comments, because these are really nice to look through. Also a shame there's no art, but I don't blame ya; very tough to find and all.

As for the cards themselves, the shuffling to draw 1 mechanic is a bit iffy. It's kinda like having 3 upstarts in your deck with a hard once per turn. Also, the the wrong conjunction used there, "also"; since you need the second part to happen after you draw. They kinda fit more like Spells than monsters, at least imo, as they can't be Summoned, but it would be a little more complex if they were Spells.

Your Vessels do a semi-decent job at locking...with the effects provided. Yu-Gi-Oh is way too fast and there are too many ways to immediately SS act so that your cards aren't very effective. Shennong is perhaps the strongest here as it currently stands, actually properly countering when your opponent does something, not only banishing a random card so having a chance to hit something else but burning to boot. It unfortunately only works once per turn, but can at least chain to Pot of Greed.

Kaldi can hurt your opponent when chained to a card effect that Special Summons, like Fusion Summoning, but when that is not the case, your opponent can choose to Summon a monster with a good effect and use it next. What it DOES do is kill Normal Summon and such reliant Deck, making a choke, so hooray for anti-FTK? 

Kukulkan is probably the worst. You have 2 options here; activate pre-emptively at the start of the Standby Phase, catching the first card your opponent plays, or waiting until the gamestate is right and then choosing to use it. Both are bad. The former allows your opponent to play something like upstart, or really anything that doesn't affect you, then leaves them in the clear to activate a board wipe as your monster only protects from the first spell activated. If you wait, your opponent activates Raigeki anyway, and you can't chain to protect yourself from it as your opponent's already activated the Spell Card.

Vessel Seeker is nifty for early and late game, so well done there, but the other 2 cards are pretty boring. Effective at searching and upping consistency, but having a Magical Mallet and a basic searcher for the set is rather simple. Simple is good, I guess, but I was hoping for some more offense/defense to make up for your weak monsters.

Love your first 7 cards for thematics, if not for strength or playability. You can definitely get away with buffing them in some regard, at least your Vessels.

o_smily

o_smily

Cannot be used in a Duel

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Hello Dova. :laugh:

Thank you for taking the time to review my cards, though as you had earlier stated, 9 cards should not have to been too hard to handle. I would like you to know that I had actually edited the cards since YCM was off on DB, which they were originally on. I feel like I have done a much better this time around, since I wasn't well-satisfied with the product I had left behind. Most of the cards I've edited were the main Vessel monsters, since I felt that their effects were not fluent and strange. I removed Hot Delivery entirely, since I not only saw it as boring and simple, but also as unneeded, and just for you, I would like to make Refreshments a bit more interesting.

Also, if I were to explain why I chose to make the Forbidden Drinks monsters, I would state that simply having them as monsters allows for more support. One of the best ways to tell if whether or not an Archetype or series is sufficient or not is by their compatibility with other cards outside of their group.

Thank you again for reading.

P.S. Almost forgot to mention that I do have their card artwork on DB if you're interested (if you can even call it that).

o_smily

o_smily

Cannot be used in a Duel

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Replaced Refreshments with a completely new and different card: Forbidden Rejuvenation.

o_smily

o_smily

Cannot be used in a Duel

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Bump.

o_smily

o_smily