[Written] Forbidden Drink + Vessel Archetype [8 - 8]

o_smily

This is an Archetype that I have been working on in DB, and I have no idea where to go now. I earnestly do believe that the cards are interesting and well-made, but I just feel that they can be better.  I have been suggested that I incorporate it into Mermails and Atlanteans somehow, but I am not sure how to do so; that would require extensive changes for my cards that I'm not sure I would be able to supply. That's why I brought it here. Thoughts are always appreciated.

[spoiler=Forbidden Drinks - 3 cards]

[spoiler=Forbidden Drink - Cocoa]

Forbidden Drink - Cocoa

FIRE

Aqua / Effect

Level 9 - 3700 / 1900

Cannot be Summoned/Set. If this card is in your hand: You can shuffle it into your Deck; draw 1 card, and if that card is a "Vessel" monster, you can Special Summon that monster, then draw 1 more card. You can only activate this effect of "Forbidden Drink - Cocoa" once per turn. If this card is banished to activate the effect of a "Vessel" monster, that monster gains this effect until your next Standby Phase:
● If this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent: You can banish 1 card from their hand, also you can banish the top 2 cards of their Deck face-down.

[spoiler=Forbidden Drink - Coffee]

Forbidden Drink - Coffee

FIRE

Aqua / Effect

Level 9 - 2200 / 4000

Cannot be Summoned/Set. If this card is in your hand: You can shuffle it into your Deck; draw 1 card, and if that card is a "Vessel" monster, you can Special Summon that monster, then draw 1 more card. You can only activate this effect of "Forbidden Drink - Coffee" once per turn. If this card is banished to activate the effect of a "Vessel" monster, that monster gains this effect until your next Standby Phase:
● Before the Damage Step, if this card battles: You can target 1 card on the field, except the battling monsters; shuffle it into the Deck, also you can gain 1000 LP.

[spoiler=Forbidden Drink - Tea]

Forbidden Drink - Tea

FIRE

Aqua / Effect

Level 9 - 3100 / 2900

Cannot be Summoned/Set. If this card is in your hand: You can shuffle it into your Deck; draw 1 card, and if that card is a "Vessel" monster, you can Special Summon that monster, then draw 1 more card. You can only activate this effect of "Forbidden Drink - Tea" once per turn. If this card is banished to activate the effect of a "Vessel" monster, that monster gains this effect until your next Standby Phase:
● If this monster battles: This card gains 1200 ATK and DEF until the end of the Damage Step, also you can destroy 1 Spell/Trap Card on the field.

[spoiler=Forbidden Vessels - 3 cards]

[spoiler=Forbidden Vessel - Kukulkan]

Forbidden Vessel - Kukulkan

LIGHT

Reptile / Effect

Level 7 - 2600 / 900

You can shuffle 1 "Forbidden Drink" monster from your hand into your Deck: Special Summon this card from your hand. Cannot be Tributed or used as Material for a Summon. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can banish 1 monster from your hand; 1 monster your opponent controls cannot be Tributed or used as Material for a Summon, also "Vessel" monsters you control cannot be destroyed during the Battle Phase this turn.

[spoiler=Forbidden Vessel - Kaldi]

Forbidden Vessel - Kaldi

LIGHT

Beast / Effect

Level 7 - 1300 / 2800

You can shuffle 1 "Forbidden Drink" monster from your hand into your Deck: Special Summon this card from your hand. Cannot be Tributed or used as Material for a Summon. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can banish 1 monster from your hand; negate the effects of 1 face-up card on the field, also "Vessel" monsters you control are unaffected by Spell/Trap Cards this turn.

[spoiler=Forbidden Vessel - Shennong]

Forbidden Vessel - Shennong

LIGHT

Wyrm / Effect

Level 7 - 2300 / 1900

You can shuffle 1 "Forbidden Drink" monster from your hand into your Deck: Special Summon this card from your hand. Cannot be Tributed or used as Material for a Summon. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can banish 1 monster from your hand; gain 500 LP and inflict 500 damage to your opponent, also all "Vessel" monsters you control gain 500 ATK and DEF.

[spoiler=Support - 2 cards]

[spoiler=Vessel Seeker]

Vessel Seeker

WIND

Warrior / Effect

Level 3 - 1300 / 1300

If this card is Summoned: You can add 1 "Forbidden Drink" monster from your Deck to your hand. This card can be treated as 2 Tributes for the Tribute Summon of a "Vessel" monster. You can banish 1 "Forbidden Drink" monster from your hand; add 1 "Forbidden Drink" or "Vessel" monster from your Graveyard to your hand. You can only activate this effect of "Vessel Seeker" once per turn.

[spoiler=Forbidden Rejuvenation]

Forbidden Rejuvenation

Quick-Play Spell Card

Banish 1 Level 9 or lower monster from your hand, then target 1 "Forbidden Vessel" monster you control; this turn, the targeted monster's ATK/DEF becomes equal to the ATK/DEF of the banished monster. If the targeted monster battles an opponent's monster and is still face-up on the field after damage calculation: You can target 1 of your banished monsters, except the monster banished by this card's effect; add it to your hand, but you cannot Summon/Set monsters with that name for the rest of the Duel. You can only activate 1 "Forbidden Rejuvenation" per turn.

[spoiler=Strategy]

The Archetype works to accomplish these 2 things (in order): 1.) Try to Summon as many Forbidden Vessel monsters as possible, and 2.) Have as many Forbidden Drink monsters in hand. Each of the Forbidden Drink monsters apply a different effect when banished to activate the effect of a Vessel monster. In addition, each Forbidden Vessel monster can be Special Summoned by shuffling 1 Forbidden Drink monster from your hand into the Deck, and each Forbidden Drink monster can be shuffled into the Deck to draw 1 card per turn.

Forbidden Drink - Coffee is a defensive and safe card, guaranteeing that you will be able to have some sort of bonus whenever this card battles, whether you are successful or not.

Forbidden Drink - Tea is for when you want to push the advantage against your opponent and try to keep your opponent down so that he/she will not get back up.

Forbidden Drink - Cocoa instigates the offensive against your opponent, making sure that your battles are successful.

Forbidden Vessel - Kukulkan focuses on weakening the enemy when they Summon a monster, by decreasing its ATK and DEF and by rendering it unable to be used as Tribute or Material for a Summon.

Forbidden Vessel - Kaldi provides protection for your Vessel monsters against any potential threat in the form of a Spell/Trap Card while also providing hand advantage.

Forbidden Vessel - Shennong punishes your opponent for gaining hand advantage in the form of drawing outside of the Draw Phase.

Vessel Seeker is the search and recovery monster for the Archetype, providing a search when Summoned and recovery for Vessel and Forbidden Drink monsters while on the field. This card can also gain the effects of the Forbidden Drink monsters by banishing them from the hand for its recovery effect.

Forbidden Rejuvenation serves two uses: 1.) To provide yet another offensive and defensive boost for the Forbidden Vessels (Seeker is not included), and 2.) To provide a means of banished card recovery. Has quite a few restrictions, but they should not harm the Archetype in any way.

Probably don't need a spoiler for each card in the archetype; too many spoilers can also give the impression of a huge set of cards, and that may have been turning people off looking through them...me included haha. Maybe just for the Drinks, Vessels and other Support?

There's so much variety among this set. The Types, the effects, and the stats all based around a simple set of 9 cards. Shame you don't get more comments, because these are really nice to look through. Also a shame there's no art, but I don't blame ya; very tough to find and all.

As for the cards themselves, the shuffling to draw 1 mechanic is a bit iffy. It's kinda like having 3 upstarts in your deck with a hard once per turn. Also, the the wrong conjunction used there, "also"; since you need the second part to happen after you draw. They kinda fit more like Spells than monsters, at least imo, as they can't be Summoned, but it would be a little more complex if they were Spells.

Your Vessels do a semi-decent job at locking...with the effects provided. Yu-Gi-Oh is way too fast and there are too many ways to immediately SS act so that your cards aren't very effective. Shennong is perhaps the strongest here as it currently stands, actually properly countering when your opponent does something, not only banishing a random card so having a chance to hit something else but burning to boot. It unfortunately only works once per turn, but can at least chain to Pot of Greed.

Kaldi can hurt your opponent when chained to a card effect that Special Summons, like Fusion Summoning, but when that is not the case, your opponent can choose to Summon a monster with a good effect and use it next. What it DOES do is kill Normal Summon and such reliant Deck, making a choke, so hooray for anti-FTK? 

Kukulkan is probably the worst. You have 2 options here; activate pre-emptively at the start of the Standby Phase, catching the first card your opponent plays, or waiting until the gamestate is right and then choosing to use it. Both are bad. The former allows your opponent to play something like upstart, or really anything that doesn't affect you, then leaves them in the clear to activate a board wipe as your monster only protects from the first spell activated. If you wait, your opponent activates Raigeki anyway, and you can't chain to protect yourself from it as your opponent's already activated the Spell Card.

Vessel Seeker is nifty for early and late game, so well done there, but the other 2 cards are pretty boring. Effective at searching and upping consistency, but having a Magical Mallet and a basic searcher for the set is rather simple. Simple is good, I guess, but I was hoping for some more offense/defense to make up for your weak monsters.

Love your first 7 cards for thematics, if not for strength or playability. You can definitely get away with buffing them in some regard, at least your Vessels.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Dova. :laugh:

Thank you for taking the time to review my cards, though as you had earlier stated, 9 cards should not have to been too hard to handle. I would like you to know that I had actually edited the cards since YCM was off on DB, which they were originally on. I feel like I have done a much better this time around, since I wasn't well-satisfied with the product I had left behind. Most of the cards I've edited were the main Vessel monsters, since I felt that their effects were not fluent and strange. I removed Hot Delivery entirely, since I not only saw it as boring and simple, but also as unneeded, and just for you, I would like to make Refreshments a bit more interesting.

Also, if I were to explain why I chose to make the Forbidden Drinks monsters, I would state that simply having them as monsters allows for more support. One of the best ways to tell if whether or not an Archetype or series is sufficient or not is by their compatibility with other cards outside of their group.

Thank you again for reading.

P.S. Almost forgot to mention that I do have their card artwork on DB if you're interested (if you can even call it that).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived