Photo

Traditions

Necrobump!

Guest, the last post on this topic is over 30 days old and a new post will be considered as necrobumping!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Thar

Thar

Aspiring Engineer

• Button Masher

• 12,108 posts
    Last Visit Today, 09:10 AM
  • Discord:Thar#3461
  • Spouse:Tormented

Are they necessary? Or just in the way of progress?

Not so much the idea of them, as people who have them connect through them, but just the ones that people cling to for the sole reason of not letting things go for no real benefit.

Discuss.

• Yui likes this

LimitedBiodegradableLadybug-size_restric

God Emperor Cow

God Emperor Cow

One Thing

• Moderators
  • 11,870 posts
    Last Visit
  • Alias:Lord CowCow
  • Spouse:Shiki/Aix

I believe that traditions shouldn't be a way to set a certain line of thought, idea, or decision in stone. However I do think they're important to give people peace of mind and comfort. So as long as they don't get used as a reason not to consider change I think they're fine.

8PBUpdp.gif

Hachimitcher-Lemon

Hachimitcher-Lemon

His Mitcher's Ship

• Back Alley Alliance
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
    Last Visit Mar 24 2019 04:05 AM
  • Alias:Mitcher

Hobsbawm is a pretty good guy to read up on about this subject imo.

Traditions are not practical but their emotional value is pretty important. A lot of nations had to rely partly on traditions to construct their national identities and communities. Traditions claim perpetuity (oftentimes falsely but that doesn't matter) which provides a feeling of legitimacy which can be pretty important. It's not as simple a matter as just hoping they'd disappear so progress can happen, as detrimental to progress as they may be. Traditions will continue to exist, some of them will continue to impede progress, and new ones will continue to be invented.

Edited by Hachimitcher-Lemon, 28 December 2018 - 07:29 AM.

BOYS, BE AMBITIOUS!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users