Start your Engines ! Update for the "Reactor" and "Flying Fortress" Archetype (Written)

The Old Charlelot

Hey everyone,

For some reason, I ended up watching a few episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds during Christmas break, and I noticed that many of the Decks used by the Dark Signers were often either not well developed or pretty mediocre. I ended up experimenting with a few of them but as of now, the “Reactors” used by Greiger (or Bomber in the Japanese version) were the only ones that I deemed worthy of being showed on the forum.  

So, there it is. Take a look and tell me what you think.

Monster Cards:

Adaptive Reactor MET

Level 6 DARK Machine/Pendulum/Tuner/Effect

Pendulum Scale: 1

ATK 700 DEF 1900

Pendulum Effect:

If a card your opponent controls is destroyed by the effect of a “Reactor” DARK monster, its effect is negated until the end of this turn. You can only use each effect of “Reactor” monsters once per turn. When a “Reactor” DARK monster is sent from your hand or field to the GY: You can destroy this card, then add 1 “Flying Fortress” monster from your Deck or GY to your hand. You can only use this effect of “Adaptive Reactor MET” once per turn.

Monster Effect:

When you Normal Summon a DARK Machine-Type monster: You can draw 1 card. When a “Reactor” DARK monster you control attacks or is attacked: You can send 1 “Flying Fortress” monster from your hand or Deck to the GY; “Reactor” DARK monsters you control gain ATK and DEF equal to that monster’s original ATK until your next Standby Phase, also if you activate this effect, battle damage taken by your opponent from being attacked directly by a “Reactor” DARK monster becomes 800 and is treated as damage from a card effect until the end of the turn. You can only use each effect of “Adaptive Reactor MET” once per turn.

Extensible Reactor OR

Level 2 DARK Machine/Pendulum/Effect

Pendulum Scale: 7

ATK 1000 DEF 1200

Pendulum Effect:

If a card your opponent controls is destroyed by the effect of a “Reactor” DARK monster or if your opponent takes exactly 800 damage due to a card or effect: You can add 1 “Reactor” DARK monster or 1 “Flying Fortress” from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of “Extensible Reactor OR” once per turn.

Monster Effect:

Once per turn, when your opponent activates a Monster Effect: You can destroy that monster, then inflict 800 damage to your opponent. (Quick Effect) You can only use 1 of the following effects of “Extensible Reactor OR” per turn:

• You can destroy both this card and 1 face-up “Adaptive Reactor MET” you control; Special Summon 1 “Flying Fortress METEOR” from your hand, Deck or GY.
  • Destroy 3 “Reactor” DARK monsters from your hand and/or field; Special Summon 1 “Flying Fortress” monster from your hand, Deck or GY ignoring its Summoning conditions.

Flying Fortress METEOR

Level 8 WIND Machine/Effect

ATK 2500 DEF 3000

Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Must be Special Summoned by the effect of “Extensible Reactor OR” and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. If you control no monsters or if the only monsters you control are Machine-Type monsters: You can banish this card from your hand; Special Summon up to 2 “Reactor” DARK monster(s) with different names from your Deck and/or GY, and if you do, you cannot Summon any other monsters this turn except DARK Machine-Type monsters. If you opponent add a card from their Deck and/or GY to their hand (Quick Effect): You can target 1 card from their hand; shuffle it into the Deck, then inflict 800 damage to your opponent. You can only use each effect of “Flying Fortress METEOR” once per turn.

Spell Cards:

Reactor Charging Bay

Field Spell Card

Your opponent cannot activate any card or effect in response to the Special Summon of a Level 8 or higher DARK and/or WIND Machine-Type monster you control. You can only use each of the following effects of “Reactor Charging Bay” once per turn:

• When you Normal or Special Summon a DARK Machine-Type monster(s); you can return 1 monster you control to your hand, then Special Summon 1 “Reactor” DARK monster from your Deck or GY, also you cannot Summon any other monsters, except WIND and/or DARK Machine-Type monsters until the end of the turn.
  • If a “Reactor” DARK monster and/or “Flying Fortress” monster you control leaves the field; you can select 1 “Reactor” Pendulum Monster from your Deck, then place it in an available Pendulum Zone.

Trap Cards:

Flying Formation Delta

Normal Trap Card

Shuffle 1 “Reactor” or 1 “Flying Fortress” monster from your hand or field into the Deck, then you can target any number of DARK Machine-Type monster in your GY and/or that are face-up in your Extra Deck who’s combined Level is equal or lower than that of the monster you’ve shuffled into the Deck with this card’s effect: Add those targets to your hand, also if every one of those targets are “Reactor” monsters; immediately after this effect resolves, you can Normal Summon 1 DARK Machine-Type monster. You can only activate 1 “Flying Formation Delta” per turn.

Extra Deck:

Transforming Reactor AIN

Level 4 DARK Machine/Fusion/Effect

ATK 1800 DEF 200

2 DARK Machine-Type monsters

You can only use the following effects of “Transforming Reactor AIN” once per turn. You can target 1 Machine-Type monster you control that has a Level: Send 1 “Reactor” DARK monster from your hand or Deck to the GY; that target’s Level becomes equal to the Level of the monster you sent to the GY with this card’s effect, then inflict 800 damage to your opponent. If this card you control leaves the field, you can activate 1 of these effects:

• Special Summon 1 Level 6 or lower “Reactor” DARK monster from your hand or Deck, also you cannot Summon any other monsters this turn except DARK and/or WIND Machine-Type monsters.
  • Shuffle 3 other “Reactor” DARK monsters from your field and/or GY into your Deck; Special Summon 1 “Flying Fortress” monster from your hand, Deck or GY, ignoring its Summoning conditions, also it is treated as a DARK monster.

METEORAIN the Flying Behemoth

Rank 8 DARK Machine/Xyz/Effect

ATK 3500 DEF 3300

2 Level 8 WIND and/or DARK Machine-Type monsters

You can also Xyz Summon this card during either player’s Main Phase by using 3 or more face-up “Reactor” DARK monsters you control as Xyz Materials. During either player’s turn, when your opponent Normal or Special Summons a monster(s): You can negate that Summon, and if you do, attach that card(s) on this card as Xyz Materials. When a DARK or WIND Machine-Type monster you control attacks or is attacked: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 of your banished Machine-Type monster or 1 “Reactor” DARK monster in your GY; either add that target to your hand or Special Summon it, and if you do, inflict 800 damage to your opponent. You can only use each effect of “METEORAIN the Flying Behemoth” once per turn.

So just to start out, although I remember some fun tricks with Reactors back like 10 years ago, I feel like the original 3 monsters + SKY FIRE are pretty terrible. They have terrible stats and almost completely useless effects. If anything should be done for them, it should be a complete rework, but Trickstars honestly already do what these cards were trying to do (set up a board that punishes every action your opponent takes until they kill themselves). That being said, I want to try to look at these cards as a case study of what SHOULD have been done with them.

I definitely like that they are pendulum monsters here. you need something like that if you're going to have a deck that needs tributes. The only other route I can think of that would be competitive is something like ABCs. That does bring up a good thought though: how do you distinguish the Reactor combination from the ABC combination?

As far as Meteor (the semi-boss) goes, I like that it has a more consistent Ash Blossom feel. I almost feel like it needs a power bump though. Something like this would have a more unique place, maybe, if it shuffled the added card back into the deck. Considering it's not very strong stat wise and it has no inherent protection, this wouldn't be unreasonable at all.

There's just a lot here to dissect. If you want, we can keep talking but I don't want to write an essay here if its not wanted ^_^;

So just to start out, although I remember some fun tricks with Reactors back like 10 years ago, I feel like the original 3 monsters + SKY FIRE are pretty terrible. They have terrible stats and almost completely useless effects. If anything should be done for them, it should be a complete rework, but Trickstars honestly already do what these cards were trying to do (set up a board that punishes every action your opponent takes until they kill themselves). That being said, I want to try to look at these cards as a case study of what SHOULD have been done with them.

I definitely like that they are pendulum monsters here. you need something like that if you're going to have a deck that needs tributes. The only other route I can think of that would be competitive is something like ABCs. That does bring up a good thought though: how do you distinguish the Reactor combination from the ABC combination?

As far as Meteor (the semi-boss) goes, I like that it has a more consistent Ash Blossom feel. I almost feel like it needs a power bump though. Something like this would have a more unique place, maybe, if it shuffled the added card back into the deck. Considering it's not very strong stat wise and it has no inherent protection, this wouldn't be unreasonable at all.

There's just a lot here to dissect. If you want, we can keep talking but I don't want to write an essay here if its not wanted ^_^;

Hey there,

Thanks for the comments. You are pretty much right about Reactors and SKY FIRE, they are pretty useless as they stand right now and have never really been seen in competitive play, but I always love a challenge. The way I understand it, there seemed to have been some big production hurdles with the 5Ds anime which sadly left their group of bad guys with some of the worst deck I’ve ever seen, an injustice I felt I had to correct. For me, the fact that Reactors had Trickstar-like effects before Trickstars were even a thing felt like some untapped potential that could be exploited for some very happy players.

Now for the meat of the critique. I intentionally left METEOR without inherent protection since I felt it was way easier to summon that SKY FIRE, which could prove troublesome for the opponent. Furthermore, it can be summoned pretty much every turn because of its materials, which are Pendulum monsters, as well as during the battle phase and the opponent’s turn. But I think you were right about it being a little too weak, so I stole your idea and allowed it to shuffle cards from the hand into the Deck.

I you would like to talk about it more, I’d be happy to. I love essays since long critiques of my work allow me to improve.

In the meantime, thanks for the comment and have a nice day.

Haha thanks. And also here's a shameless plug to come check out some of my cards too!! :D

Going back, I realize there was a lot of thought you put into the pendulum scales, the levels, and even making MET a tuner. So I love all of that ps.

Okay let's break it down card-by-card and if you want, I can keep going.

"Adaptive Reactor MET" (*There shouldn't be a space here because there's no space in METEOR)

atk and def should be higher for sure. If you look at SK, even it has okay stats for the level. personally I like 2500/1700 because they're odd numbers, like the base Reactors (in fact only Gungnir and KM Gulungulante have those exact stats). those are appropriate stats for a level 6 monster.

- monster effect:
most decks these days either have an easy extra normal summon for their monsters, or they just allow you to special summon higher level monsters (consider Yosenju vs Cyber Dragon). Since the base Reactors are terrible (as we've agreed), I think its very reasonable to go with the latter. as for the draw mechanic, I think it would be cool if new Reactors here could support the dark machine archetype as a whole (since it did get new cards recently). My suggestion is to make the draw for the normal summon of any dark machine.

- pendulum effect:
the first part seems perfect, more or less. since Reactors can only use any of their effects once per turn, and they're slow, it's great to have that negation. I don't really like the passive trigger for the second effect. you need decks today that don't have to play passively to pop off. I suggest more of a odd-eyes effect.

In summary, here is a suggested rewrite of the card

Pendulum Effect:

Any card destroyed by the effect of a "Reactor" monster you control has its effects negated until the end of this turn (even if this card leaves the field). During your End Phase: You can destroy this card, and if you do, take 1 DARK Machine monster from your Deck, except "Adaptive Reactor MET", and either add it to your hand or send it to the GY. You can only use this effect of "Adaptive Reactor MET" once per turn.

Monster Effect:

If you control no monsters OR the only monsters you control are "Reactor" monsters, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). When you Normal Summon a DARK Machine monster: You can draw 1 card. When either player's monster declares an attack: You can negate the attack, also, after that, inflict 800 damage to your opponent. You can only use each effect of "Adaptive Reactor MET" once per turn.

Haha thanks. And also here's a shameless plug to come check out some of my cards too!! :D

Going back, I realize there was a lot of thought you put into the pendulum scales, the levels, and even making MET a tuner. So I love all of that ps.

Okay let's break it down card-by-card and if you want, I can keep going.

"Adaptive Reactor MET" (*There shouldn't be a space here because there's no space in METEOR)

atk and def should be higher for sure. If you look at SK, even it has okay stats for the level. personally I like 2500/1700 because they're odd numbers, like the base Reactors (in fact only Gungnir and KM Gulungulante have those exact stats). those are appropriate stats for a level 6 monster.

- monster effect:

most decks these days either have an easy extra normal summon for their monsters, or they just allow you to special summon higher level monsters (consider Yosenju vs Cyber Dragon). Since the base Reactors are terrible (as we've agreed), I think its very reasonable to go with the latter. as for the draw mechanic, I think it would be cool if new Reactors here could support the dark machine archetype as a whole (since it did get new cards recently). My suggestion is to make the draw for the normal summon of any dark machine.

- pendulum effect:

the first part seems perfect, more or less. since Reactors can only use any of their effects once per turn, and they're slow, it's great to have that negation. I don't really like the passive trigger for the second effect. you need decks today that don't have to play passively to pop off. I suggest more of a odd-eyes effect.

In summary, here is a suggested rewrite of the card

Pendulum Effect:

Any card destroyed by the effect of a "Reactor" monster you control has its effects negated until the end of this turn (even if this card leaves the field). During your End Phase: You can destroy this card, and if you do, take 1 DARK Machine monster from your Deck, except "Adaptive Reactor MET", and either add it to your hand or send it to the GY. You can only use this effect of "Adaptive Reactor MET" once per turn.

Monster Effect:

If you control no monsters OR the only monsters you control are "Reactor" monsters, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). When you Normal Summon a DARK Machine monster: You can draw 1 card. When either player's monster declares an attack: You can negate the attack, also, after that, inflict 800 damage to your opponent. You can only use each effect of "Adaptive Reactor MET" once per turn.

Hey again,

I don’t really agree with the new wording for Adaptive Reactor MET, here is my reasoning and the purpose I envisioned for this card. First and foremost, when I upgrade an existing Archetype, I try doing it in a way that does not completely override the existing support for that card series. I want my fictional players to use the old Reactors as well as SKY FIRE in their (fictional) Decks. That is why I didn’t want MET to negate attacks or influence the Battle Phase, since Summon Reactor SK already has an effect that does something similar. Also, every Reactor has pretty low ATK and I really wanted players to use at least 1 copy of SKY FIRE. The effect of MET makes it so every Reactors can become a huge threat as well as giving SKY FIRE something other to do than be a complete dead draw (arguably, that does not fix the situation completely, but it’s a start). It’s also the reason for its low ATK: its effect can basically make it into a 3700 ATK and 4900 DEF wall for a little while.

Where I do agree, is that its effect should encompass all DARK Machine-Type monster and that I need an easier way to summon it (even if it’s primarily made to be in the Pendulum Zone). Although that isn’t crucial in my opinion since it can be used to Summon METEOR while in the Pendulum Zone and possibly during the opponent’s turn. Also, it can be Special Summoned from the Deck with METEOR’s effect, which isn’t too shabby in my opinion.

Archived