Pot of Pals [Text]

Seanoow

Hi all, been a while. Just had an idea about making a set of cards specifically for Tag-Duels.
Naturally the first card I imagined was a variant of a classic.
Name: Pot of Pals

Type: Spell (Normal)
Effect:

During your Tag-partner's next draw phase, they draw an additional card. They cannot draw additional cards using card effects for the rest of that turn.

If this gets enough notice I'll start imagining more cards specifically for Tag-Duels.

"Cards designed, for a friend by your side."
Or Wheeler, if your Seto Kaiba. XD

Hmm. Well, that is nice. I do believe this would actually be better off in Experimental, considering how there is yet to be any card effect which specifically references a tag-partner.

As for the card itself, having your partner draw 2 cards is a pretty powerful effect, especially so when there is no cost. Just because the card does not affect you does not mean that its effect is not as effective. How about a revision/balancing such as the following? (You did not specify what kind of Spell it is; I am assuming it is a Normal Spell.)

During your tag-partner's next Draw Phase, your tag-partner draws 2 cards instead of 1 for their normal draw, and if they do, your tag-partner cannot draw cards by card effects for the rest of the turn.

I know that the sharp restriction may seem to "ruin" the heart and soul of the card, but honestly this is something which must be tested with to see the capabilities and potential of this card, and considering how it would only affect drawing, your tag-partner would still be able to search cards from his/her Deck or excavate.

Changed:

Effect:

During your Tag-partner's next draw phase, they draw an additional card. They cannot draw additional cards using card effects for the rest of that turn.

I like the idea, and I made a change. I figured juuust in case they already had a card effect which increased the number of cards they drew during their draw phase that this effect should add 1 additional card, THEN they couldn't draw additional cards after the draw phase was completed.

There are...... plenty.... of search effects, and despite the cost (with or without) it probably wouldn't see play in all tag duels.

That said, tag-dueling is a thing, and I consider it as a proper format, that was why I posted this idea here. There may never be official "Tag-cards" but then again it wasn't too long ago we never thought there would be pendulum xyz monsters yea?
If people want to tag duel, I'll make more.

Changed:

Effect:

I like the idea, and I made a change. I figured juuust in case they already had a card effect which increased the number of cards they drew during their draw phase that this effect should add 1 additional card, THEN they couldn't draw additional cards after the draw phase was completed.

There are...... plenty.... of search effects, and despite the cost (with or without) it probably wouldn't see play in all tag duels.

That said, tag-dueling is a thing, and I consider it as a proper format, that was why I posted this idea here. There may never be official "Tag-cards" but then again it wasn't too long ago we never thought there would be pendulum xyz monsters yea?

If people want to tag duel, I'll make more.

I think you misunderstood smily. They were stating the mechanic on that card is a new concept to yu-gi-oh as a whole. Hence experimental. The concept of tag-dueling is a wonderful idea to make cards for however that mechanic itself does not specifically exist on any card (to my knowledge) of yugioh.

Technically you are both correct and incorrect.

There have been a plethora of cards that will affect only your tag partner in tag dueling.
For example. Any card that has an effect that activates "On your next standby phase" will technically activate on your partner's standby phase.

These cards that I am designing are designed to be specifically more powerful than those cards, but unusable outside of tag dueling.

If a flat power increase would be too much I will try to find an alternative effect to emulate the idea the card holds.

Based on card text alone, yes they would introduce new wording into the textbox therefore can be placed in experimental.
However, these effects are not new in the slightest.

They are technically weaker, as they can not be used in a solo duel. (And their use is entirely determined on the skill of your tag-partner)

I already considered putting them in experimental, but since the effects are not new I put them here. Because technically speaking if these cards are balanced they can easily be printed with a slight errata to their text.

There have been a plethora of cards that will affect only your tag partner in tag dueling.

For example. Any card that has an effect that activates "On your next standby phase" will technically activate on your partner's standby phase.

These cards that I am designing are designed to be specifically more powerful than those cards, but unusable outside of tag dueling.

If a flat power increase would be too much I will try to find an alternative effect to emulate the idea the card holds.

Based on card text alone, yes they would introduce new wording into the textbox therefore can be placed in experimental.

They are technically weaker, as they can not be used in a solo duel. (And their use is entirely determined on the skill of your tag-partner)

I already considered putting them in experimental, but since the effects are not new I put them here. Because technically speaking if these cards are balanced they can easily be printed with a slight errata to their text.

activating on standby is a bit different. Making a card specifically for a "tag-partner" in the text currently has not been done. Remember card text specifies mechanics now that cards use problem solving text. The wording alone means in a normal duel the effect could never resolve. Just something to think about. As you have stated, you understand:

the resolving effect may not be new but the mechanic in which the effect occurs, is. 

Oh, hey!  I remember you!  It's been a while, hasn't it?

Guess I should talk about the card, huh?  Overall, I like the flavor of it, but I think it actually went too far the other way in design; I think it might actually be too weak.  Restricting draws is a very big drawback to add (pun intended), especially since it really doesn't actually increase total card advantage at all.  I think it'd be better to remove the no draws restriction and just put a hard once per turn on it ("You can only activate 1 "Pot of Pals" per turn.").

As for where this topic should be... yeah, I think it should probably be shifted to experimental.  While tag duels, uh, "exist", you are using custom keywords that aren't supported in the real game, even if the functionality can be easily translated.  It's shouldn't be a super big deal with this topic (I dunno how many mods are around to move this, so it doesn't really matter), but just keep that in mind if/when you decide to make more cards.

All that said, I would definitely like to see more tag duel cards!  I was also wondering if I could borrow this card as part of a yugioh story I'm writing?

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

The very basic rules that konami has published have been written in the pre-2014 era, when Synchro and Fusion were the only kind of extra deck summoning mechanics, there could still be only 1 field card on the field at a time and you had a draw phase even if you went first. It is questionable whether the old rules still apply. Besides, you are only partially correct; SS1 effects/cards can only be activated by their owner, even if it's a trigger effect.

Archived