Pokemon Sword & Pokemon Shield

~British Soul~

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw this thing on Twitter about your favorite starter Pokemon, thought it would be fun to share my own. I only chose them based on their first forms, the list my be different based on their evolves forms, don't really know, but regardless, if you want your own, here's a link to the Twitter thing: https://twitter.com/RayNarvaezJr/status/1101341796175613953

iXjTBVP.jpg

That'd be interesting, the first Fire/Electric-type since post-BW Heat Rotom

Fire/Electric is a cool type and I'd very much want to see it on a Pokemon outside of Rotom forms.

Does the word spark have the same definitions in Japanese as it does in English? Because spark can also just mean a fire spark, not necessarily what they meant, especially since you know, it isn't Electric type.

The attack Spark is Electric. It is written in katakana where as Bunny's is kanji so it might be something different (the word spark does have the kanji for fire), but it could easily be a foreshadow for the evolution.

I'll share mine. All bar Sobble were based on first starter chosen in a new gen.

lSQmcTa.png

Fire/Electric is a cool type and I'd very much want to see it on a Pokemon outside of Rotom forms.

It is a cool type combo and can lead to some interesting designs, though it does have its pitfalls.

I'll share mine. All bar Sobble were based on first starter chosen in a new gen.

lSQmcTa.png

It is a cool type combo and can lead to some interesting designs, though it does have its pitfalls.

I have a ton of different ways I could break mine. Like the first starter I picked would be different from my actual favorite starter of the gen which would be different from my favorite starter given only the first form.

The one I went with though is favorite over all. Gen 7 is obviously still only speculation since the final forms play a much larger roll in how I feel.

zvGAy1d.jpg

It gets grounded down really badly, but it can check water types with STAB and picks up a few more resistances and fire is already the type with the second most. Over all I really like it. Though I'd also be super down for a Fire/Fairy.

How is Zerora not fighting electric

It really should have.

How is Zerora not fighting electric 

I agree, it should've been

I have a ton of different ways I could break mine. Like the first starter I picked would be different from my actual favourite starter of the gen which would be different from my favourite starter given only the first form.

That's fair. My first choices were generally my favourite factoring final forms into the choices as well, though in a couple of instances, I like more than one final form (gens 3 and 4 for instance)

That's fair. My first choices were generally my favourite factoring final forms into the choices as well, though in a couple of instances, I like more than one final form (gens 3 and 4 for instance)

You know, in thinking about it I've rarely use my favorite first which is really weird when you think about it.

In Gen 1 first starter was Squirtle. People I knew at the time recommend using it so I did. I think I got to the 3rd gym before being like "I really like Charizard. I'm going to start a new game and with Charmander, but not save". At the time though I didn't know the PC auto saved and I used it so I did end up getting to use Charizard.

Gen 2 I was on the Fire train so auto picked it. I might prefer Typhlosion's design to Feraligatr's, but I REALLY like Feraligatr as a Pokemon (thanks Sheer Force). I think I'd also rather use Gatr even without its HA.

I really like all the Gen 4 starters and to mix things up used Turtwig. I'd only used a grass starter once, Bulbasaur in LG, but that is the only time I never played a game through (I just beat FR).

For Gen 5 I've never even used Snivy between my two play throughs. I used Oshawott to use a water starter (I'd only ever played through with Mudkip), and always use the gen's fire starter. I think I might have liked Samurott best at the time but I've both gotten higher on Serperior's design and it's HA is also insane.

Gen 6 I really loved Fennekin (I prefer it to Froakie) and went with my first impression since I still really like Delphox.

You know, in thinking about it I've rarely used my favourite first which is really weird when you think about it.

In Gen 1 first starter was Squirtle. People I knew at the time recommend using it so I did. I think I got to the 3rd gym before being like "I really like Charizard. I'm going to start a new game and with Charmander, but not save". At the time though I didn't know the PC auto saved and I used it so I did end up getting to use Charizard.

Gen 2 I was on the Fire train so auto picked it. I might prefer Typhlosion's design to Feraligatr's, but I REALLY like Feraligatr as a Pokemon (thanks Sheer Force). I think I'd also rather use Gatr even without its HA.

I really like all the Gen 4 starters and to mix things up used Turtwig. I'd only used a grass starter once, Bulbasaur in LG, but that is the only time I never played a game through (I just beat FR).

For Gen 5 I've never even used Snivy between my two play throughs. I used Oshawott to use a water starter (I'd only ever played through with Mudkip), and always use the gen's fire starter. I think I might have liked Samurott best at the time but I've both gotten higher on Serperior's design and it's HA is also insane.

Gen 6 I really loved Fennekin (I prefer it to Froakie) and went with my first impression since I still really like Delphox.

Thinking about it, I didn't really use any of the Gen 1 starters till FRLG (considering I played Yellow, and didn't use the gifted starters), even then I went with Bulbasaur first, though it was Squirtle that reached level 100 (Hell, I even went with Squirtle in XY).

Gen 2 (and the remakes), I was all about Totodile, and its HA is not too shabby either.

Gen 3, even though I picked Mudkip (type-wise for final form), I do like the designs of Blaziken and Sceptile

Gen 4, I will admit I used Infernape last even though I do like its design. Like Mudkip, it was Torterra's typing that drew me to Turtwig.

As for Gen 5, I haven't really used Snivy at all even though it looked cool as-is

Gen 6, I liked Chespin's design though I could not deny how cool Greninja looked, leading me to use it in a subsequent run.

And Gen 7, Litten grew on me very quickly

I'm gonna do something slightly different, because, for some generations at least, the gaps between the starters aren't too huge. They'll be sorted from most loved to least, at least to me, but unless I make commentary, assume that the order can vaguely change with the starter listed before/after it depending on my mood.

1. Charmander (I still have the three-foot plushie I got as a child), Bulbasaur, Squirtle (it took Squirtle Squad and Gary's Blastoise to make me enjoy the line at all)

2. Cyndaquil, Totodile, Chikorita (objectively the worst starter ever designed)

3. Mudkip, Treecko, Torchic (this isn't disparaging Torchic at all, in fact I love it. However, the Hoenn starters are so high quality at every point in their lines that it's kinda ridiculous. Every trio, both before and after, had at least one weak link, but I still have a soft spot for the Hoenn trio in its entirety.)

4. Chimchar (thanks, anime), Piplup, Turtwig

5. Oshawott, Tepig, Snivy

6. Froakie, Fennekin (if I was doing this solely based on their first stages instead of the whole line, Fennekin would be first), Chespin

7. Rowlet, Litten, Popplio

8. Sobble, Scorbunny, Grookey

Yours just one off from being the same as mine, in fact, Scorbunny is a very close second for me, and I was unsure of which one I should pick, but the rest are the exact same as yours.

Now that's funny. I too chose these based on their first forms.

Based on last forms, Venusaur (looks like a dinosaur), Torterra (Earthquake and stuff), Delphox (was in retrospective disappointed by Chesnaught), and I'm split between Decidueye and Primarina.

Still, I think one reason I chose some of these is based on their eyes. Most of the ones I chose I thought had cute eyes.

I feel that Gen 9 could have an urban setting like 1 and 5.

I've seen people who think the same thing to be fair.

Where? California?

I mostly based it on appearance. Sobble's body is flimsy, Grookey is muscly, for a starter, and Scorbunny is fast.

I wager the final forms will have Wood Hammer for Grookey, Blaze Kick for Scorbunny and Hydro Pump for Sobble.

I just hope you'd be able to transfer all your pokemon from Pokemon Go, unlike the Let's Go games where you can only transfer gen I pokemon and their Alolan forms.

Where? California?

California is urban? *google searches* I'm not sure given it has a significant rural landmass, but they may choose an urban country, but that's years away, who knows where Gen 9 will be set.

I wager the final forms will have Wood Hammer for Grookey, Blaze Kick for Scorbunny and Hydro Pump for Sobble.

Again, I've seen people who think Wood Hammer will be part of the Grookey-line's learnset. The others are possible too.

Sobble will be the tank. Most likely Sp.Def focused but good Def too, but average HP. And will be decent in Sp.Atk but not stellar. Speed will be decent but not great, and Atk will be low.

Scorbunny will be a glass cannon with high speed, and good Atk and Sp.Atk, though with higher Sp.Atk, but not by a lot. Defences and HP will suffer.

Grookey will be slow as sheet, and have the best HP, with excellent Atk and Def, but be poor on the special side.

Archived