One-Time Passcode

148361_200w.jpg

Special Summon 1 "Security Token" (Cyberse/LIGHT/Level 4/ATK 2000/DEF 2000) in Defense Position. You can only activate 1 "One-Time Passcode" per turn.

I'll be honest, I'm a bit surprised this didn't see any play.  Maybe things were too limited at the time (Link Vrains Pack hadn't even come out yet), but this feels like it could potentially be a better enabler now.

Getting monsters on the field seems like the name of the game, and this does that without any worry about the extra monster effect negation floating around.  In terms of top decks, Salamangreat can use this to start their plays without committing to a Normal Summon and the token can be used as an extra starter for Orcust combos or something.  I dunno.

...then again, maybe this is just begging to be used in some kind of triple Saryuja turbo or something degenerate.  Thoughts?

I actually forgot this card existed, and i've been looking for a couple more token generators for a niche deck i'm thinking of building.

As for this seeing meta use, It's not a bad card, but just one token with no effect. that's generally not good enough for a meta deck these days. floating bodies that have additional effects or deck synergy are the more popular options by far, and this doesn't fit those. most of the decks that would like this already have things that do it better, and those what don't tend to be too far from the top for this to make a noticeable meta splash.

I actually forgot this card existed, and i've been looking for a couple more token generators for a niche deck i'm thinking of building.

As for this seeing meta use, It's not a bad card, but just one token with no effect. that's generally not good enough for a meta deck these days. floating bodies that have additional effects or deck synergy are the more popular options by far, and this doesn't fit those. most of the decks that would like this already have things that do it better, and those what don't tend to be too far from the top for this to make a noticeable meta splash.

Instant Fusion and Hornet Drones both seem better for example

Yeah the card is a +0 effect, generating a single Token, and Tokens generally being just a part of an Extra Deck material, it quickly turns into a minus play.
Putting aside Paleozoics or Trap Monsters for being slow, and concentrating on quicker reward effects like Spells... Before this card we already had Fiend's Sanctuary to work with.

More situational effects that could generate 2 like Work Bait or Reptilianne Spawn, are also a bit underwhelming at the moment. Maybe like Stray Lambs, their drawbacks are a bit too much. I wonder if a flat out "Scapegoats" that Summoned 2 0/0 Tokens at no drawbacks or costs existed, how it'd do.

The bigger plus it might have is that the Token is Cyberse, but I ignore if that's good enough at the moment.... Makes me think of Yusaku's filler Links for the most part, but maybe I'm missing something in Salamangreats.

Archived