Bastion of Brilliance (Pool of Knowledge, Meet Your New Ground)

Black D'Sceptyr

Bastion_of_Brilliance.png

[spoiler=Bastion of Brilliance: Info]

Continuous Spell Card

Lore: If this card is activated: Each player banishes the top 6 cards of their Deck. Once per turn, if the turn player activates a Spell/Trap Card or Special Summons a monster(s): Negate that Summon or activation, and if you do, banish that card, then that banished card's owner can apply 1 of these effects. 

• Special Summon 1 of your monsters that was banished by this card's effect, except during this Chain. 
• Set 1 Spell/Trap Card that was banished by this card's effect, except during this Chain. It can be activated this turn. 
You can only control 1 "Bastion of Brilliance".

So yeah, incorporating Magic:  The Gathering cards into Yugioh lore takes several things into account; lack of a proper resource game outside of maybe LP, an affinity to take cards that do too much in cost to a disgusting extent in advantages (Soul Absorption and Pot of Desires for example) and most importantly...the power of bypassing conditions. 

That then turned into...this for some reason. 

Apparently, I've lost my mind haven't I? +6 banishing when Thunder Dragons, Dinos and Shiranui are things? Utilizing the banished zone off of mandatory negation? Well, the negation and replacement comes after the TURN PLAYER does something, so even as a cap-off to a combo play, this is literally interrupting, rather than building, on play. 

Being able to use Traps fast is the greater part of this, but, again, it comes at the cost of doing-and losing-another part in your plays, and should thus be seen as a substitution for meta plays. But unlike, say, a Painful Choice, the amount of cards that benefit from banishing, especially in something you have limited control over, tends to limit the usage of a card rather than expand it (coughMonsterRebornReborncough). 

And really, much like the legacy support you're seeing a surfeit of now, this will serve to more boost rogue Decks than benefit meta Decks, who would normally rather continue with what they've got rather than risk it for this. For the rogue player, however, this brings a new pool of resources into play, helps speed up Trap-heavy Decks, and interrupts play in a similar way to Future Visions and the Magician's Hands, all at a generic but not wholly overbearing cost.

So until the next card-and goodness I hope it doesn't shatter this card over its knee-reviews, revelry, you know the drill. 

BD'S, signing off.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived