Maskin [WRITTEN, AGM]

Tinkerer

Hello, fine peoples!

Haven't done one of these in a while and I don't know if the AGM is a thing anymore or not, but w/e.  I saw this name in the archetype game, immediately had an idea for them, made the archetype before returning and making the prompt.  Speaking of which, here it is:

A tribal archetype of EARTH Fiend Pendulum monsters.  They are all Level 4 with a scale of 4 and run with a gimmick involving swapping out with each other to trigger each others' abilities and simply out-grind the opponent.  Because they can't normally Pendulum Summon, they use the Extra Deck more as a resource for their plays (usually by shuffling monsters from the Extra into the Deck or by "discarding" stuff into the Extra).

Their backrow is mostly trap-based and it compliments the deck's "protect the castle" playstyle by limiting the opponent's means of removing the monsters easily.

...It's not my most comprehensive prompt, but mostly because I didn't really know how to phrase things since I'd already made the archetype, so... yeah.

Basically, it is a Pendulum Deck with the focus not so much being on the Pendulum Summon mechanic, but on the utility Pendulum monsters have by being face-up spells.  Haven't made a full archetype in a while so my card grammar feels a bit rusty, but all of them should be easy enough to understand.  Without further ado, on to the archetype!

[spoiler=Monsters]

Maskin Angry Red
EARTH ****
Scale: 4<>4
Fiend/Pendulum/Effect
PE: During your Main Phase: You can target 1 "Maskin" monster you control and 1 monster your opponent controls; Special Summon this card, then place the first target you control in this card's empty Pendulum Zone, and if you do, the opponent's monster loses ATK equal to the first target's.  You can only use this effect of "Maskin Angry Red" once per turn. During your opponent's turn, if a "Maskin" monster is destroyed by battle: Special Summon this card, then all monsters your opponent controls lose 800 ATK.
ME: If this card is Special Summoned by the effect of a "Maskin" card: You can add 1 "Maskin" monster from your Deck to your hand.  You can only use this effect of "Maskin Angry Red" once per turn.
800/1000

Maskin Calm Blue
EARTH ****
Fiend/Pendulum/Effect
PE: The effects of your "Maskin" cards cannot be negated.  If a "Maskin" card is destroyed by a card effect: You can Special Summon this card, then you can place 1 face-up "Maskin" monster from your Extra Deck into an empty Pendulum Zone.
ME: If this card is Special Summoned by the effect of a "Maskin" card: You can add 1 "Maskin" monster from face-up in your Extra Deck to your hand.  You can only use this effect of "Maskin Calm Blue" once per turn.
1000/1800

Maskin Hunter Green
EARTH ****
Fiend/Pendulum/Effect
PE: During the Battle Phase (Quick Effect): You can target 1 "Maskin" monster you control; Return that target to your hand, and if you do, Special Summon this card.  This card gains the ATK of the monster returned this way.  If a "Maskin" monster declares an attack: You can target 1 Spell/Trap on the field; destroy it.  You can only use each effect of "Maskin Hunter Green" once per turn.
ME: If this card is Special Summoned by the effect of a "Maskin" card: You can place 1 "Maskin" pendulum monster from your hand into your Extra Deck face-up; place 1 "Maskin" Trap from your Deck face-up in your Spell & Trap Zone.
1600/800

Maskin Chief Yellow
EARTH ****
Fiend/Pendulum/Effect
PE: (Quick Effect): You can target 1 "Maskin" monster you control and 1 face-up card your opponent controls; Special Summon this card, then place the first target in this card's empty Pendulum Zone, and if you do, as long as that card remains in the Pendulum Zone, negate the effects of the second target.  You can only use this effect of "Maskin Chief Yellow" once per turn.
ME: If this card is Normal Summoned or Special Summoned by the effect of a "Maskin" card; you can add 1 "Maskin" pendulum monster from your Deck to your Extra Deck face-up.  Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can target 1 "Maskin" monster in your Pendulum Zone; Special Summon that target, and if you do, return this card to your hand.
1800/1000

Maskin Elder Grey
EARTH ****
Fiend/Pendulum/Effect
PE: During your Main Phase: You can shuffle 2 "Maskin" cards from your Extra Deck into your Deck; Set 1 "Maskin" Trap Card from your Deck. If a "Maskin" card is targeted by an opponent's card effect: You can return that card to your hand and Special Summon this card.
ME: When this card is Normal Summoned or Special Summoned by the effect of a "Maskin" card: Place 1 "Maskin" monster from your Deck in an empty Pendulum Zone on your side of the field.  If your Pendulum Zones are full: Target 1 card in your Pendulum Zone; Special Summon that target, and if you do, place this card in that empty Pendulum Zone instead.
0/2000

All the monsters have an effect that lets you SS them from the Pendulum Zone under certain conditions.  They usually also replace themselves in multiple ways, though not often in ways that are either practical or active.

[spoiler=Spell]

Maskin Carving
Spell
Place 1 Pendulum "Maskin" monster from your hand into your Extra Deck face-up OR: Discard 1 "Maskin" Spell/Trap card; draw 2 cards.  You can banish this card from your GY and shuffle any number of face-up "Maskin" monsters from your Extra Deck into your Deck; gain 500 LP for each card shuffled. You can only activate 1 "Maskin Carving" per turn.

Only one Spell.  Felt like this type of card is just an overall help for the deck as it just puts pieces in the correct places so to smooth out the Deck's ability to function.

[spoiler=Traps]

Ancient Stories of the Maskin
Continuous Trap
When this card is activated, you can either:
- Add 1 "Maskin" monster from your Deck to your hand.
- Target 1 "Maskin" card you control: destroy it, then add 2 "Maskin" monsters from your Deck to your hand.
If a "Maskin" monster battles an opponent's monster; destroy that monster at the start of damage calculation.  You can only use this effect once for each "Maskin" monster with a different name.

Maskin's Terror Mask
Continuous Trap
If a "Maskin" monster is Special Summoned: Place 2 "Maskin" monsters from your Deck onto the Extra Deck face-up.  You can shuffle up to 5 "Maskin" monsters from face-up in your Extra Deck into your Deck; treat your opponent's Monster Zones as numbers 1-5, counting from your right, and return all monsters in the same column as the number of  cards shuffled to the hand. You can only activate this effect of "Maskin's Terror Mask" twice per turn.  If this card is destroyed while it has Counters, you can place 1 Pendulum Monster with a scale of 4 from your Deck to your Extra Deck face up for each Counter that was on this card.

Maskin's Combat Mask
Continuous Trap
While you control another face-up "Maskin" card, your opponent can only declare an attack with 1 monster.  Once per turn: You can shuffle any number of face-up "Maskin" monsters into your Deck; increase the ATK and DEF of all "Maskin" monsters you control by 100 x the number of face-up "Maskin" cards you control x the number of cards shuffled until the End Phase.  "Maskin" monsters are unaffected by the monster effects of monsters with less ATK than them.

These are cards that push the deck to have a point.  Each card enables the monsters you have to hold out against opponent boards and round out the protection effects offered by the monsters' pendulum effects.

I realize that the card texts are long.  I don't know how much I'd really be able to shorten them though, considering the nature of their effects.  Also, if there's some card grammar mistakes, please let me know!  As always, CnC much appreciated!

Cheers!

Archived