New Dark Scorpions [Written]

CuriousHeartless

I wanted to revamp the Dark Scorpions. The main deck ones all have abilities that count their name as the name of the original while on the field for a bit of support stuff mainly Dark Scorpion Combination but it’s not major. Each has the same level as the original and remains a DARK Warrior monster as well as maintaining their original defense, though they have all gained 400 ATK. They maintain the theme of “Choose one ability when this inflicts Battle Damage to an opponent” with their abilities based on the originals but suped up.

The originals had a bit of returning stuff to hand/deck, destruction, and deck destruction, but all those seem weak except for Gorg’s bounce to top of deck and Cliff’s Spell/Trap destruction (and Meane’s searching powers) and the hand/deck destruction could easily backfire on you these days and there wasn’t really real cohesion. Not to mention being pulled down by mediocre at best bodies. So I kinda pushed them, maybe too hard maybe not, and they now have a theme of banishing your opponent’s stuff face-down. They also have effects that are non-specific to Dark Scorpions but more general DARK Warrior (which is an intersection of Attribute and Type that is already rather well supported) kinda just because.

[spoiler=Monsters]

Dark Scorpion - Dark Boss Don Zaloog

DARK

4 Star

Warrior/Effect

This card's name is also treated as "Don Zaloog" while face-up on the Field. While you control another DARK Warrior monster, this card is unaffected by monster effects you don't control, also, once per turn you may Normal Summon a DARK Warrior monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set (You can only gain this effect once per turn). When this card inflicts Battle Damage to an opponent, activate one of these effects:

*That player banishes a card from their hand face-down.

*Banish the top two cards of that player's deck face-down.

1800 ATK/1500 DEF

Now a proper Dark Scorpion unlike the original Don Zaloog. The monster effect protection is a minor thing probably but getting an additional Normal Summon hopefully gives him something. Original Don was either random discard or mill 2 so I took those, bumped them to banished face-down, and felt like for balancing sake dropped the Random on the hand destruction.

Dark Scorpion - Meanae the Tragic Thorn

DARK

4 Star

Warrior/Effect

This card's name is also treated as "Dark Scorpion - Meanae the Thorn" while face-up on the Field. While you control another DARK Warrior monster, your opponent must Set Spell Cards before activating them, and cannot activate them until their next turn after Setting them. When this card inflicts Battle Damage to an opponent, activate one of these effects:

* Add 1 "Dark Scorpion" card from your Deck to your hand.

* Target 1 "Dark Scorpion" card in your Graveyard; add that target to your hand.

1400 ATK/1800 DEF

Meanae has the same effects on combat damage because it is a good effect for both searching and recovery. I just kinda went “Yeah she can have an innate Anti-Spell Fragrance” without a real reasoning for why but it means that she and Cliff give combined Spell and Trap hate.

Dark Scorpion - Chick the Slick

DARK

3 Star

Warrior/Effect

This card's name is also treated as "Dark Scorpion - Chick the Yellow" while face-up on the Field. While you control another DARK Warrior monster, this card can attack twice each battle phase. When this card inflicts Battle Damage to an opponent, activate one of these effects:

*Target 1 card on the field; return that target to the hand.

*That player puts a random card from their hand on the bottom of their deck then draws 1 card.

1400 ATK/1000 DEF

Chick was originally attack directly but a support spell gives that so I made him a double attacker instead. He keeps the original’s first bouncing ability because I felt it was fine enough. The original hit the top of the deck to either top or bottom it but I just didn’t like that so instead some forced hand filtering. Does let them draw back but hopefully the randomness can get rid of something good.

Dark Scorpion - Cliff the Trap Annihilator

DARK

3 Star

Warrior/Effect

This card's name is also treated as "Dark Scorpion - Cliff the Trap Remover" while face-up on the Field. While you control at least two other DARK Warrior monsters, your opponent cannot activate Trap cards except during their own Main Phases, also, negate the effects of Trap cards your opponent controls except during their Main Phases. When this card inflicts Battle Damage to an opponent, activate one of these effects:

*Target 1 Spell/Trap card they control; Banish that card face-down.

*Banish the top card of their deck face-down, then deal 100 damage to them for each face-down card they have banished.

1600 ATK/1000 DEF

Cliff requires two as he has a stronger effect I felt. Doesn’t shut down Traps absolutely but does limit them to just your opponent’s Main Phases which is hopefully still a decent blow. Original destroys a Spell/Trap card while this one does the banish face-down. Cliff shared Don Zaloog’s ability to send two cards from the deck to the graveyard and I didn’t want to copy straight up, so it only hits one card but also gives some burn damage.

Dark Scorpion - Gorg the Immense

DARK

5 Star

Warrior/Effect

This card's name is also treated as "Dark Scorpion - Gorg the Strong" while face-up on the Field. If your opponent controls a creature and you don't, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand), also you cannot Special Summon monsters for the rest of this turn, except DARK Warrior monsters. When this card inflicts Battle Damage to an opponent, activate one of these effects:

*Target 1 Monster card they control; banish that card face-down.

*Banish up to three target cards from their GY face-down. Effects of cards in the GY cannot be activated in response to this effect.

2200 ATK/1500 DEF

As the only above level 4 in the archetype, I wanted to give Gorg a variation on the Cyber Dragon effect. Gorg’s returning a creature to the top of the deck is now...a banish on damage as you can already read. He had a single send card from the deck to the grave which was already weaker than either Don Zaloog or Cliff’s ability so I just absolutely abandoned that. Instead it gets some GY hate.

Dark Scorpion - Don Zaloog the Grand Thief
DARK
Link 2
Link Arrows: TR, L
Warrior/Link/Effect
2 DARK Warrior monsters, including a "Dark Scorpion" monster or "Don Zaloog"
This card's name is also treated as "Don Zaloog" while face-up on the Field. When a DARK Warrior monster you control destroys a monster by battle: Negate that destroyed card's effects in the Graveyard and target it; banish that target face-down. When a DARK Warrior monster you control attacks your opponent directly: Draw 1 card, this card must be co-linked with another DARK Warrior monster to activate and resolve this effect. Activate this ability of "Dark Scorpion - Don Zaloog the Grand Thief" only once per turn.
2100 ATK

I...just wanted to move Gorg's effect negation effect to another card. But couldn't find one of the others I wanted to tack it on so I made a Link 2. The purpose of this was supposed to be AFTER Dark Scorpion - United Burglars despite that being the higher Link. So you would play United Burglars then make a Co-Linked this guy in the center space with it then linking to another zone United Burglars wasn't hitting. So I had to decide TR and L or TL and R and ended up going TR and L because I figured most players are Right handed and would want to use the Extra Zone on their Right first unless they were summoning a Link that particularly worked better on the Left.

Dark Scorpion - United Burglars

DARK

Link 3

Link Arrows: BL, B, BR

Warrior/Link/Effect

2+ DARK Warrior monsters, including a "Dark Scorpion" monster or "Don Zaloog"

When you would choose between two effects of a DARK Warrior monster you control with the same trigger, you may activate both of those effects instead. Whenever your opponent draws a card(s), banish the top card of their deck face-down. Once per turn (Quick effect) when an opponent would Special Summon a monster to a zone except an Extra Zone, you may tribute 1 monster in a zone this card points to: Negate that Special Summon; banish that card face-down.

2400 ATK

Non Dark Scorpion monsters this thing’s effect currently supports: None. But you never know about the future. A single Link monster...maybe I’ll make more extra deck monsters for this but also maybe not. I wasn’t sure how to do the first effect exactly but I tried to do something so you get both triggers off of your Dark Scorpion’s dealing damage. Also some summon negation. Technically the adaptation of Dark Scorpion Burglars but just slapping 400 ATK on that would be bad so I doubled it’s stats then added the 400 and didn’t even try to keep the effect.

[spoiler=Spell/Traps]

Dark Scorpion Recruitment Campaign

Normal Spell

Activate this card only if you control 2 or more "Dark Scorpion" monsters. Special Summon 1 Level 6 or lower DARK Warrior monster from your hand or GY. You can only activate one "Dark Scorpion Recruitment Campaign" per turn.

Just a simple special summon for you if you already have a few creatures.

Dark Scorpion Grand Heist

Continuous Spell

Each time a "Dark Scorpion" monster(s) is Normal or Special Summoned, place 1 Heist Counter on this card. You can remove any number of Heist Counters from this card to activate these effects:

1 Counter: Target 1 "Dark Scorpion" monster you control; that target gains 400 ATK until the end of the turn and may a declare direct this turn.

2 Counters: Target 1 card on the field; return it to the hand and your opponent can't Summon or Activate cards with that name until the end of your next turn.

3 Counters: Draw 1 card.

A Gateway of the Six sort of thing. Just a single Counter to make a monster attack directly to help set off effects. The two counters one didn’t really draw off anything in particular and was just meant as a tempo thing. And the three counters shows their heist going off well and getting their treasure, aka drawing a card.

Archived