Bugroth Archetype

Perry Ellis.

This archetype is an expansion upon the "Bugroth" series of monsters that takes inspiration from the War Mechs from Final Fantasy. With the only effect monster being "Amphibious Bugroth Mk-3"  the basis of this archetype's theme is attacking your opponent directly. 

As always C+C is appreciated. 

[spoiler= Monsters]

Main Deck

Terran Bugroth MK- 4

EARTH | Level 4 | Machine | Effect

When this card is Normal Summoned, you can add 1 “Bugroth” monster from your Deck to your hand. This card can attack your opponent directly but only apply this card’s original ATK during damage calculation. If this card inflicts battle damage, you can Normal Summon a “Bugroth” monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set. You can only activate each effect of “Terran Bugroth MK-2” once per turn.

1500/800

Depth Bugroth MK-5

WATER | Level 4 | Machine | Effect

When this card is Normal Summoned, you can add 1 Spell/Trap card that specifically lists “Bugroth” in its text from your Deck to your hand. This card can attack your opponent directly but only apply this card’s original ATK during damage calculation. If this card inflicts battle damage, you can send 1 card your opponent controls to the GY. You can only activate each effect of “Depth Bugroth” once per turn. 

1500/900

Aerial Bugroth MK- 6

WIND | Level 4 | Machine | Effect

If you control a “Bugroth” monster, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. This card can attack your opponent directly but only apply this card’s original ATK during damage calculation. If another “Bugroth” monster you control inflicts battle damage, you can Fusion Summon 1 “Bugroth” monster using monsters you control or in your GY including this card. If you use monster(s) from your GY, shuffle those cards into the Deck. You can only activate each effect of “Aerial Bugroth MK- 6” once per turn.

1500/1100

Rescue Bugroth Mk-7

FIRE | Level 4 | Machine | Effect

This card can attack your opponent directly but only apply this card’s original ATK during damage calculation. If this card inflicts battle damage, you can Special Summon 1 “Bugroth” monster with a different name from your GY but halve its original ATK. If this card is sent from the field to the GY, you can add 1 “Bugroth” monster from your GY to your hand except “Rescue Bugroth Mk-7”. You can only activat each effect of “Rescue Bugroth Mk-7” once per turn.

1500/1200

Extra Deck

Subterran Bugroth MK- 8

DARK | Level 7 | Machine | Fusion | Effect

2 “Bugroth” monsters with different attributes

When this card is Fusion Summoned, you can Special Summon 1 “Bugroth” monster from your Deck and if you do double its original ATK. If you control another “Bugroth” monster, this card can attack your opponent directly. When a “Bugroth” monster declares an attack, your opponent cannot activate cards until the end of the damage step. If this card inflicts battle damage, you can randomly banish 1 card from your opponent’s Extra Deck. You can only activate each effect of “Subterran Bugroth MK- 7” once per turn.

2500/2000

Celestial Bugroth MK- 9

LIGHT | Level 8 | Machine | Fusion | Effect

3 “Bugroth” monsters with different attributes

You can also Special Summon this card by using a “Bugroth” Fusion monster with a different name as tribute that as inflicted battle damage (You do not use Polymerization also this is treated as a Fusion Summon). When this card is Fusion Summoned, Double the original ATK of all non-Fusion “Bugroth” monsters you control. While you control another “Bugroth” monster, this card can attack your opponent directly. Negate your opponent’s card’s effects during the Battle Phase. If this card inflicts battle damage, have your opponent discard 1 card, if they cannot banish the top card of their deck. You can. Only activate each effect of “Celestial Bugroth MK- 9” once per turn.

3000/2500

[spoiler=Spells/Traps]

Spells

Docking Titan Lusitania

Continuous Spell

When this card is activated, you can add 1 “Bugroth” monster from your Deck to your hand. If a “Bugroth” monster is destroyed (by battle or by card effect) you can banish that card from your GY and if you do Special Summon that monster during the 2ndStandby Phase after this effect resolves. You can only activate each effect of “Docking Titan Lusitana” once per turn.

Traps

Blitzkrieg Attack Movement

Counter Trap

If a “Bugroth” monster is targeted by a card effect or for an attack, negate that effect or attack and destroy that card and if you do, increase the original ATK of the targeted “Bugroth” monster by 1000 also “Bugroth” monsters cannot be destroyed until the end of this phase. You can only activate one “Blitzkrieg Attack Movement” once per turn.

Monsters

1) Not sure how I feel about gaining an additional NS during the battle phase. The only cards I can find that allow this are quick-play spells, so maybe put that effect on a quick-play instead?

2) The s/t recruitment is fine, but I'd rather you not have non-targeting, non-destruction removal on a level 4 monsters, especially one that can hit monsters and back row.

3) The special summon part is fine, I wouldn't really have much of a problem with the fusion effect, if the fusion monsters didn't lock your opponent out of doing anything during the battle phase. Also the shuffling material from the GY seems a bit much. I'd keep it to hand/field, or just field.

4) Fine

5) Why does it double the original attack of the monster it summons? Seem a bit much considering your opponent won't be able to do anything when it attacks. At least negate the activated effects of the monster you summon. It turns all of your monsters in Armades that can attack directly; powerful, but sure. Banish a card from their extra deck, fine.

6) Oh boy, whew. Okay, firstly the way you've worded it doesn't make it activate during the battle phase (I hope this was deliberate, but I don't think it was). Secondly, giving it an alternative summon condition is a bit much, considering you can summon it without polymerization in the same manner as the first fusion monster. As the big boss for the archetype, I think it'd make more sense for this one to make the rest of them into armades, no? Shutting the opponent out of the battle phase on top of its other effects completely is unfair, drop that effect or drop some other effects. I think this monster would be better off not being able to attack, but doubling the original attack of the non-fusions instead. Also you forgot the stat on this one

S/T

1) Fine I guess. The second effect seems kind of weird, as this archetype seems like an all-in OTK deck that wouldn't worry about destruction an such, but sure.

2) Activation requirement is fine I guess. Pick 1 or 2 of the protection effect you've written. All 3 of them on 1 card seem a little helmet to me, so pick 2 of them. 

Addendum - I'd drop their attack to 1000, just so that they don't all turn into boss monsters when their attack is doubled. To conclude, this archetype seems way more fair than the "1000 faces" you came up with the other day. This one requires more planning when it comes to your plays. There isn't an overarching issue with the archetype, but the spell and traps don't seem to follow with the rest of the play style.

Thank you for your response

1) I'm going to keep the additional Normal Summon effect as the play style doesn't allow for easily spamming out more monsters.

2) if you don't like this card you should take a look at Atlergiest Meluseek.

3) adding a Special Summon restriction wouldn't make since as the fusion summon would occur in the Battle Phase rather than the Main phase meaning everything that the player would want to Special Summon already has been.

5) bc its the only way for the ATK boost to work during damage calculation for the main deck monsters. it doesn't give them an armades effect, aramdes negates the activation of cards and effects, Mk-8 only negates the activation of cards meaning that if the opponent has face up cards that can still interact during the battle phase, they can still activate that card's effects.

6)correct you can't summon it during the battle phase. with the only way to get multiple bugroths out being either with Mk-4's or Mk-7's effects, spamming out monsters isn't easy so this helps to alleviate that burden by making this card easier to Summon. most cards don't activate during the Battle phase anyways only so I don't see how it is unfair. and oops didn't notice that ill add that now.  

S/T

1) only for staying power

2) there aren't any other protection effects outside the battle phase so I think its ok to put it all on this card. 

Archived