[DP22] The Rest of GP (Twitter and Commercial)

A new card appears for Gimmick Puppet Decks, meant to bring out their biggest monsters.

D8IEI_uVUAIqRHz.jpg?resize=300%2C211&ssl

DB22-JP038 傀儡葬儀-パペット・パレード Kugutsu Soubi – Puppet Parade (Translation: Puppet Funeral – Puppet Parade | Localization: Puppet Parade)
Normal Trap Card

You can only activate 1 of card’s name per turn.
(1) If your opponent controls more monsters than you do, Special Summon “Gimmick Puppet” monsters with different names from your Deck up to the deficit, then, if your opponent’s LP is at least 2000 higher than yours, you can Set 1 “Rank-Up-Magic” Normal Spell directly from your Deck. After this card resolves, you cannot Special Summon for the rest of this turn, except “Gimmick Puppet” monsters.

36cca1a8.png?resize=300%2C169&ssl=1

パフォーム・パペット Perform Puppet
Continuous Spell Card

You can only use each of the (1) and (2) effect of this card’s name once per turn.
(1) You can banish 1 “Gimmick Puppet” monster that has a Level from your GY; until the end of this turn, the Levels of all monsters you control become the banished monster’s Level.
(2) If a face-up “Gimmick Puppet” monster(s) you control is destroyed by battle or your opponent’s effect and sent to the GY: You can target 1 of your banished “Gimmick Puppet” monsters; Special Summon it.

Reprint:
Number 40: Gimmick Puppet of Strings

Source:

https://ygorganization.com/theblackparade/ > https://twitter.com/YuGiOh_OCG_INFO/status/1135517486537822209

https://ygorganization.com/tlnotekeikakumeansplan/

I feel that even with the promise of more than 2 monsters, this card's too slow for the archetype's liking. And with that restriction at the end no less. Maybe not as dependant on your opponent as the Xyz, but it's pretty close. Had it been a Quick-Play, it could work. But as a Normal Trap? I fear not.

I feel that even with the promise of more than 2 monsters, this card's too slow for the archetype's liking. And with that restriction at the end no less. Maybe not as dependant on your opponent as the Xyz, but it's pretty close. Had it been a Quick-Play, it could work. But as a Normal Trap? I fear not.

I was thinking the same thing. If this was a quickplay spell ( like urgent schedule ) the restriction would be pretty justified, given that you could special summon up to 5 monsters from your deck for no cost, and possibly even set a rank-up-magic spell card from your Deck as well. As much as I may like Temple of the Kings, that interaction is quite gimmicky ( no pun intended ) even in casual play, so that's not really an option. 

Given that gimmick puppets are likely gonna only get 1 more support card, that better be a rank-up-magic spell with some pretty good effects ( similar to argent chaos force perferably, but without a once per duel restriction ). 

Edit: Nevermind, it's not gonna be a new rank-up-magic, it's a continuous spell card with even more gimmicky restrictions. 

Y'know... it begs a question: The funk was even the point of giving Gigantes Doll the ability to tribute itself to make your monsters level 8, when they were just going to up and create a spell card that basically does that anyways? Except without burning two level 4s first, I mean.

The trap looks fine. Trap Trick can tutor it from the Deck and the restriction largely doesn't matter if you're using it on the opponent's turn. Honestly, the only thing I wish I could change about it is making the RUM search a GY effect (even if it keeps the LP difference cost) so that it is more definite than it is now.

In all honesty, the Continuous Spell seems somehow even slower than the trap. It's not a power play at all, it's difficult to search, and is so easy to get rid of. Even the active benefit of modifying your monsters' levels feels a bit underwhelming considering there's no way to consistently get this card.

My main issue with this card is that it said "Rank-Up-Magic" NORMAL Spell. Understandable with Argent Chaos's type (and unfortunate with its banning, thx Utopic ZeXal) but this could have really helped make Quick Chaos more relevant-reacting to plays would be great to trip up the opponent with, especially with Dark Strings. Imagine a quick-play Raigeki and burn that also draws you 1 being immersed into this. Heck you don't have to, Rank-Up-Magic Launch got banned for doing slightly more than it.

Also, Trap Trick will make this card work.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cf6e0894556454545

Continuous Spell could have been better, but its serviceable for the defensive/Level modifying game if you're not willing to restrict yourself with Double Magical Arm Bind de la Xyz, Gigantes Doll. Between Shadow Feeler and this, you've a way to work around your opponent's attacks, but still tragically few ways of countering them.

I could blame the other DARK Machine Deck that abused every DARK-benefical card that came near it since late '18 for this, or I could point out that one Deck ruining the linchpins of other Decks is what I originally said was a poor excuse for poorer design when that linchpin was Tenki and the ruinator was Zoodiacs. This was a reason to make Gear Changer and Gigantes Doll better, not solder up their faults with an unsearchable Continuous Spell. I've hit my limit on this front, @@The Warden, hope you're happy. 

As is, both cards get the same score - a nice, but needy 6.9. 

Archived