Wording Help Needed

Ultimagamer

I have an idea for an effect I want to do, but I'm finding it hard to word. 

The effect is something along these lines 

"During the Main Phase (Quick Effect): You can declare either Name, Attribute, or Type, then target 1 monster your opponent controls; For the rest of the turn after this effect resolves, monsters with that are the same as that targeted monster with the declared category ( Name, Attribute, or Type ) cannot attack, also they cannot activate their effects during the Battle Phase."

What would be the best way to word this? The idea is that during either players main phase, you can declare either Name, Attribute, or Type, and target 1 monster your opponent controls, then for the rest of the turn, monsters with the same Attribute, same Type, or same Name as that monster cannot attack / activate their effects during the battle phase. The idea is that you declare only 1 of those categories, then monsters that are the same as that category with the targeted monster have restrictions on them. I'm not sure on what the wording would be exactly. 

"During the Main Phase (Quick Effect): You can target 1 monster your opponent controls and declare either type or Attribute. Monsters with the same type or Attribute (whichever was declared) as the target cannot attack or activate effects during the next Battle Phase."

Still imperfect, but I think it cleans it up a bit. Declaring name seems pointless, but it can be added back if you really want it. I also reordered the wording to be more conventionally... accurate?

Would the Targeting part is redundant? Since you already declare the typing you want to lock before it

Is that what's meant?  I'd assumed Ultima meant declare that you'd say aloud the words "type" or "Attribute", rather than "Winged Beast" or "DARK".

Yeah, some clarification would be helpful here.

Is that what's meant?  I'd assumed Ultima meant declare that you'd say aloud the words "type" or "Attribute", rather than "Winged Beast" or "DARK".

Yeah, some clarification would be helpful here.

Nah, I'm pretty sure the effect goes exactly as you described in the post above, where he has to declare Name, Type, or Attribute, and then target a monster. Afterwards, any monster who fits the declared category as being the same as the targeted first monster can't attack or activate effects during the Battle Phase. With this considered, declaring "Name" does seem pointless since a monster with the same name is probably another copy of the same monster, and said copy obviously has the same Type or Attribute, however, since there are monsters that can steal names, Ultima probably thought about that and included "Name" for said reason.

Target 1 Monster your opponent control (Quick Effect): Make your opponent Declare Either 1 of targeted card, Name, Attribute, or Type; While this card is face-up on the field after this effect resolved, Negates the effects of all face-up Monster that has the Declared Category (Name, Type, Attribute) that your opponent control

I still confused on why the OG need target since you can simply declare the category your- self (i dont need to target FIRE if i can just say FIRE) so in my understanding this effects only exist if somewhat is the opponent is the one that can decide the category

That being said help me ultima if im going to far

"During the Main Phase (Quick Effect): You can target 1 monster your opponent controls and declare either type or Attribute. Monsters with the same type or Attribute (whichever was declared) as the target cannot attack or activate effects during the next Battle Phase."

Still imperfect, but I think it cleans it up a bit. Declaring name seems pointless, but it can be added back if you really want it. I also reordered the wording to be more conventionally... accurate?

Target 1 Monster your opponent control (Quick Effect): Make your opponent Declare Either 1 of targeted card, Name, Attribute, or Type; While this card is face-up on the field after this effect resolved, Negates the effects of all face-up Monster that has the Declared Category (Name, Type, Attribute) that your opponent control

I still confused on why the OG need target since you can simply declare the category your- self (i dont need to target FIRE if i can just say FIRE) so in my understanding this effects only exist if somewhat is the opponent is the one that can decide the category

That being said help me ultima if im going to far

Nah, I'm pretty sure the effect goes exactly as you described in the post above, where he has to declare Name, Type, or Attribute, and then target a monster. Afterwards, any monster who fits the declared category as being the same as the targeted first monster can't attack or activate effects during the Battle Phase. With this considered, declaring "Name" does seem pointless since a monster with the same name is probably another copy of the same monster, and said copy obviously has the same Type or Attribute, however, since there are monsters that can steal names, Ultima probably thought about that and included "Name" for said reason.

I think ultimately after reading these responses, it would be a good idea to just stick with types and attributes, as names aren't really necessary when you can declare types or attributes. The wording that would work best I think is Tinkerer's one. 

"During the Main Phase (Quick Effect): You can declare either Type or Attribute, then target 1 monster your opponent controls; For the rest of the turn after this effect resolves, monsters with the same Type or Attribute (whichever was declared) as the targeted monster cannot attack, also they cannot activate their effects during the next Battle Phase."

Thanks for all the help everyone! 

I'll try my crack at it.

During the Main Phase (Quick Effect): You can target 1 monster your opponent controls, then declare either its original (printed) name, Attribute, or Type; for the rest of the turn after this effect resolves, all monsters with the same declared characteristic as that monster cannot attack, also they cannot activate their effects during the Battle Phase."

"Characteristic" is what I usually went with, given that's what Types and Attributes are classified as in the Yu-Gi-Oh Wikia.

I'll try my crack at it.

"Characteristic" is what I usually went with, given that's what Types and Attributes are classified as in the Yu-Gi-Oh Wikia.

true, but category is technically official given it already used on card: Onomatopaira

That being said, im definitely overthinking thing as targeting meant to balance/limitation rather than part of convoluted effect like what i propose

Archived