New Gladiator Beasts, do contain your excitement, if you would, ok please (CHIM)

Gladiator Beasts and me have had a weird relationship, at first I hated them, then I found them kind of neat, then they turned out to be kind of bad in modern formats, and then they got a tiny bit of new support and were better, and now there's even more support for them! So what is it this time? Well, it's more things that improve them slightly, without me having much more of an opinion than that, because I know very little about them (hurray!) Okay, but seriously, these actually look quite solid, some are better than others, some seem worthless, some are very good from what I can tell. Is it going to make them relevant? Seems doubtful, but at least some people will be happy about them.

[spoiler=Cards of Many, Careful Now!]

D-I-yFtU8AIXA2S.jpg?resize=206%2C300&ssl

CHIM-JP011 Gladial Beast Sagittari (Gladiator Beast Sagittari)
Level 3 WIND Winged Beast Effect Monster
ATK 1400
DEF 1000
(1) If this card is Special Summoned by the effect of a “Gladiator Beast” monster: You can discard 1 “Gladiator Beast” card; draw 2 cards.
(2) At the end of the Battle Phase, if this card battled: You can shuffle it into the Deck; Special Summon 1 “Gladiator Beast” monster from your Deck, except “Gladiator Beast Sagittari”.

Note: This card is named after the Gladiator Class “Sagittarius”

D-I-yVgU8AAaYTz.jpg?resize=206%2C300&ssl

CHIM-JP012 Gladial Beast Atrix (Gladiator Beast Atrix)
Level 4 EARTH Beast-Warrior Effect Monster
ATK 800
DEF 2000
(1) If this card is Special Summoned by the effect of a “Gladiator Beast” monster: You can send 1 “Gladiator Beast” from your Deck or Extra Deck to the GY, except “Glatator Beast Atrix”; until the End Phase, this card’s Level and name become that monster’s.
(2) At the end of the Battle Phase, if this card battled: You can shuffle it into the Deck; Special Summon 1 “Gladiator Beast” monster from your Deck, except “Gladiator Beast Atrix”.

Note: This card might be named after Autocratrix, a term for a female regent in charge of the Roman Empire.

D-I-yFtU0AAORYC.jpg?resize=206%2C300&ssl

CHIM-JP013 Gladial Beast Vespasiaus (Gladiator Beast Vespasiaus)
Level 7 WATER Sea Serpent Effect Monster
ATK 2300
DEF 0
You can use the (1)st effect with this card’s name only once per turn.
(1) If your “Gladiator Beast” monster battles a monster, at the start of the Damage Step: You can Special Summon this card from your hand.
(2) While this card that was Special Summoned by a “Gladiator Beast” monster effect is in your Monster Zone, monsters you control gain 500 ATK.
(3) At the end of the Battle Phase, if this card battled: You can shuffle it into the Deck; Special Summon 1 “Gladiator Beast” monster from your Deck, except “Gladiator Beast Vespasiaus”.

Note: This card is named after the Roman Emperor Vespasian.

D-I-yVjUEAEENRR.jpg?resize=206%2C300&ssl

CHIM-JP033 Gladial Beast Domitianus (Gladiator Beast Domitianus)
Level 10 DARK Sea Serpent Fusion Effect Monster
ATK 3500
DEF 1200
Materials: “Gladiator Beast Vespasiaus” + 2 “Gladiator Beast” monsters
Must first be Special Summoned (from your Extra Deck) by shuffling the above cards you control into the Deck. (You do not use “Polymerization”.)
(1) Once per turn, when your opponent activates a monster effect (Quick Effect): You can negate that activation, and if you do, destroy it.
(2) You choose the attack targets for your opponent’s attacks.
(3) At the end of the Battle Phase, if this card battled: You can return it to the Extra Deck; Special Summon 1 “Gladiator Beast” monster from your Deck.

Note: This card is named after the Roman emperor Domitian.

Panther.png?resize=206%2C300&ssl=1

CHIM-JP046 Slave Panther (Test Panther)
Link 2 EARTH Beast Link Effect Monster
ATK 800
Links: Bottom Left, Bottom
Materials: 2 monsters, including a “Gladiator Beast” monster
You can only use each effect of this card’s name once per turn.
(1) If this card is Link Summoned: You can add 1 “Gladiator Beast” card from your Deck to your hand.
(2) You can target 1 “Gladiator Beast” monster you control: Return that “Gladiator Beast” monster to the Deck, and if you do, Special Summon from your Deck 1 “Gladiator Beast” monster with an original name different from the returned monster’s, as if it were Special Summoned by the effect of a “Gladiator Beast” monster.

HailMaryPass.png?resize=206%2C300&ssl=1

CHIM-JP056 Saiki-suru Gladial Beast (Gladiator Beast Comeback)
Normal Spell Card
(1) Special Summon, from your hand or GY, 1 “Gladiator Beast” monster with a Type different from the monsters you control, and if you do, it cannot be destroyed by battle.

United.png?resize=206%2C300&ssl=1

CHIM-JP057 Danketsu-suru Gladial Beast (United Gladiator Beasts)
Quick-Play Spell Card
You can only activate a card with this card’s name once per turn, and during the turn this card is activated, you cannot declare attacks, except to attack with “Gladiator Beast” monsters.
(1) During the Battle Phase: Shuffle into the Deck, from your hand, field, or GY, Fusion Materials listed on a “Gladiator Beast” Fusion Monster, then Special Summon that Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, ignoring its Summoning conditions.

RejectedLoveLetter.png?resize=206%2C300&

CHIM-JP058 Gladial Rejection (Gladiator Rejection)
Continuous Spell Card
YOu can only activate the 2nd effect of this card’s name once per turn.
(1) “Gladiator Beast” monsters you control cannot be targeted by your opponent’s card effects, except during the Battle Phase.
(2) If a “Gladiator Beast” monster is Special Summoned from your Deck: You can Special Summon from your Deck, in Defense Position, 1 “Gladiator Beast” monster with a Type different from the monsters you control.

WhenEveryonesGyzarusNoOneIs.png?resize=2

CHIM-JP071 Moushin-suru Gladial Beast (Mad Gladiator Beasts)
Normal Trap Card
(1) Target face-up cards on the field up to the number of different “Gladiator Beasts” you control; destroy them.

Note: This card’s name might ever so slightly be referencing “Mad Sword Beast”.

StagedSeaBattles.png?resize=206%2C300&ss

CHIM-JP072 Gladial Naumachia (Gladiator Naumachia)
Continuous Trap Card
(1) While you control a “Gladiator Beast” monster(s), monsters your opponent controls must attack if able.
(2) Once per turn: You can shuffle 1 “Gladiator Beast” monster from your hand or GY into the Deck, then target 1 “Gladiator Beast” monster you control; until the end of the turn, that monster gains ATK equal to its original DEF.
(3) If this card in the Spell & Trap Zone is destroyed by a card effect: You can activate this effect; for the rest of this turn, “Gladiator Beast” monsters you control cannot be destroyed by battle.

Note: Naumachia refers to the staged water and ship battles in the Colosseum (yes this is totally a thing they did.)

I've been waiting for these reveals, and I was not disappointed. I don't feel like it's enough to bring them out of their niche, but Atrix gives them an archetypal Prisma, which is must better for synergy, and United is a perfect Miracle Contact for them.

Rejection is solid. While it's a little hurt by specifying targeting, Gladiator Beasts do need more cards for swarming, so it's worth it. Vespasian is a great new boss monster, especially with Naumachia. I'm going to have some fun rebuilding my Gladiator Beast deck.

SHORT STORY, FROM A LITERAL GOTDAMN GLAD BEAST PLAYER OVER HERE: More than I thought they'd get, less than I hoped. Of course, my hope was that they'd possibly smack Saladbois into the ground a la The Lonely Island, so yeah, I'm still super hyped.

Long story:

D-I-yFtU8AIXA2S.jpg?resize=206%2C300&ssl

Gladboi Sagittari

Sagittari. Has no wings. Why. Is it. A WINGED BEAST actually that doesn't matter, the other three Winged Beasts in Glads are great too so this Gladiator Beast Destiny Draw is definitely good.

"Wait arent Octavius and Lanista Glad Beasts too? That'd make it six Winged Beast Gladiator Beasts, wouldn-"

I SAID. THREE. 

Anyways, 7.9/10 for giving Glads a way around Colossus to make bank with the hand.

D-I-yVgU8AAaYTz.jpg?resize=206%2C300&ssl

Gladgal Atrix

In theme Stratos, Tenki search target #4, and 2K shield. What's not to love about this in-kind contribution to the Thundercats? 8.0/10.

D-I-yFtU0AAORYC.jpg?resize=206%2C300&ssl

Gladboi Vespasiaus

Summons on battle, boosts your field by half a stack -so that's 2800 ATK, enough to run into a Colossus or help something run over it-and it's a Sea Serpent. Basically Noxious if you've got a board. While Noxious is Vespasiaus but for those opponents trying to be cheeky with their Lilybells and Meluseeks. I definitely like it. 8.2/10.

D-I-yVjUEAEENRR.jpg?resize=206%2C300&ssl

Gladboi Domitianus

sweet god it's as if half of the best part about Crystal Wing and Patrician of Darkness got hitched. 

Only returns for one, but good god why would you want to return this

9.5/10. 

Panther.png?resize=206%2C300&ssl=1

Test Best Panther

First effects gonna go towards United Gladiator Beasts, or if you have that, the material for it to bring you Tamer Editor, or if you've got that, Chariot, or if you've got that, Noxious/Vespasiaus, or if you've got that, anything since you've basically god-handed.

Second effect is basically Test Tiger but from the Extra Deck, so triggering the Glad Beast effects reliably should not be a problem now.

9.6/10, why would I put it at anything less? Even the materials make it a breeze to go into this (get out your Hornet Drones and Danger! everyone), bring out Tamer Editor in the center yourself a Domitanius/Gyzarus in the left open Zone, and even go into Dragases to open up another zone! Seriously. Only thing that'd make it better is if it were a Link-1.

HailMaryPass.png?resize=206%2C300&ssl=1

GladBoi Comeback

Damn right they are. Cyber Gladiator Revsystem over here basically gets you any Beast you want with half the protection, which guarantees a tag-out. Well, unless your opponent tries to snipe it, but that's gonna be handled soon. 9.1/10.

RejectedLoveLetter.png?resize=206%2C300&

GladBoi Rejection

oh did I say later, I meant now

Ancient Gear GladBeast Fortress basically serves the same purpose as that Fortress: protect your plays while possibly extending them. Though it does need a Glad Beast Summoned from the Deck to do so, but again, hardly an issue now.

Especially considering you can trigger this on the first turn yourself with bloody Onslaught of the Fire Kings. Yeah, that Laquari Summoner is basically a free Gyzarus for you now. (On an unrelated note, I've never been happier that Hornet Drones is a Quick-Play spell, that and Onslaught together is soooo gooood now.) 

9.4/10. Again, it's like they took all the moderately good backrow cards they gave the Machines and retooled them for GladBeast uses. Cyber Revsystem, Ancient Gear Fortress...at this rate their next thing might literally be some Cyberdark Impact! -like Fusion Spell, but even that'd be a stretch for Konami to actually mak-

United.png?resize=206%2C300&ssl=1

United GladBois

....9.7. I see almost no downside with this. Quick-Play contact Fusion that literally takes the material you likely used to get you your Test Panther out, helps reset your Onslaughts should your board get bodied, can help your stuff evade targeted snipes on the one Phase Rejection can't reach, and turns every brick Beast in your hand (e.g. the Level 5 or highers) into Tamer Editor food.

Only reason it's not a solid 10 is because of the Battle Phase restriction, and even then, that's not a restriction so much as cruise control on cool. Run three at literally all times.

WhenEveryonesGyzarusNoOneIs.png?resize=2

Mad GladLads

And now we're going into ripping stuff from Duel Terminal's good Trap lineup with Ritual Gladiator Beast Steeds. I'd reckon you run the same amount of these as one would Salamangreat Rage, and for likely the same reason-hitting fodder is never not good, especially without a OPT to slow it down. 8.8/10.

StagedSeaBattles.png?resize=206%2C300&ss

GladBoi Namaste

Not gonna try to push out that actual name here, I swear I'm getting carpal tunnel just looking at it. Great lore with that name, though. And World Legacy GladBeast Collapse, keeping in tun with stealth good Duel Terminal traps turned GladBeast support, gives any of your stuff more power to make them hit like frieght trains, as well as battle protection should they die. Almost makes me want to try running Artifacts to possibly trigger them myself. (I think you should too, Lancea alone can shut decks down entirely if used as a handtrap.) 8.2/10. 

So in conclusion: I'm kinda about to head back into Yu-Gi-Oh! when Chaos Impact drops. Dead serious this time, seeing a toolbox Deck and my first love in Dueling (my apologies based Yubel, blessed be thy androgynous name), is enough to bring tears to my eye. I literally can't stop thinking of the engines that can work to make GladBeasts at least approach meta capacity now, and no Deck's deserved it more in a time such as this.

BD'S, signing off.

@@black d’sceptyr the wings are all over Sagittarius’ armour.

*Looks at Slave Panther, then at GP Chimera Doll* funk you Konami.

Hey man, the less DARK Machine Decks we have in the format that'lll whiten my hairline, the better.

Also, you misspelled "Gladiator Beast Dragases", don't know where you somehow though a "Chimera" was in those words. Seriously, at least that damn doll doesn't need to go -1 to forward a Deck's play.

Archived