Gogmagog the Last Giant (You Are What You Choose to Be...And Gog Is Greatness)

Black D'Sceptyr

Don't even pretend you don't know what movie about giants that first part of the sub-title came from. Don't be that bad of a liar.

ddbyesi-84592932-e2a2-4d3f-8ef2-be048152

[spoiler=Gogmagog the Last Giant: Info]
FIRE/Pyro-Type Synchro Effect Monster/Level 8/2650 ATK/0 DEF

Lore: 1 Tuner + 1+ non-Tuner FIRE monsters
The DEF of all other monsters on the field or in the GY becomes equal to the number of different types among the cards in your GY (Monster, Spell or Trap) x 100. All monsters with 200 or less DEF cannot activate their effects in the hand or GY, except Pyro monsters. If this card destroys a non-Pyro monster by battle, or if this card is destroyed by a card effect: Destroy 1 FIRE monster you control, except "Gogmagog the Last Giant", and if you do, Special Summon 1 FIRE Pyro monster from your GY during the End Phase.

Gogmagog, after finding its way onto YCM:

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d3202b74e2f713432

And it's time I lored you on why.

See, this is the last giant of British folklore.  Story goes as follows:

Gogmagog, accompanied by twenty other giants which aren't named for some reason,, attacked the Trojan settlement of Albion and caused great slaughter. The Trojans rallied back and killed all of 'em, except for "one detestable monster named Gogmagog, in stature twelve cubits, and of such prodigious strength that at one shake he pulled up an oak as if it had been a hazel wand". Swear to god, that's the actual words on Wikipedia. Exploding with exposition much?

So Gog's captured so that Corineus can wrestle with him. Breaks three of Corineus's ribs, which so pisses him off that he picks up the giant and carries him on his shoulders to the top of a high rock, and chucks that fella into the sea.. The place where he fell became known as "Gogmagog's Leap", and that's why there are no more giants in British mythology. 

This Gogmagog, however, is a Pyro supportin' monster. Parts of the lore do come through in the effect, though - he's really capable of breaking boards as well as he breaks ribs, by knocking down DEF stats all across the board and double-piercing. That DEF adjusting working in the GY also serves to make it easier to Rekindle stuff en masse. Just don't run Spells. Or Traps. Then you'll go over.

After that, the demise of Gogmagog comes when he wrecks something by battle, but don't worry-some FIRE monster comes back from the GY during the End Phase, so its a good tactic to evacuate that Extra Monster Zone. 

And that's the way you make a pretty cake good card. Sorry, Lazytown theme's running through my mind now. Anyways, until the next card; reviews, revelry, you know the drill.

BD'S, signing off.

No, I don't get any of the references.  Yes, I admit I just skimmed over your lore explanation.

I just happen to really like the mythology of Gogmagog and I appreciate this card being as it is while enabling the 200 DEF FIRE strategy.  You might wanna put a HOPT on the last effect though since 2 copies can just loop each other infinitely during the End Phase.

No, I don't get any of the references.  Yes, I admit I just skimmed over your lore explanation.

I just happen to really like the mythology of Gogmagog and I appreciate this card being as it is while enabling the 200 DEF FIRE strategy.  You might wanna put a HOPT on the last effect though since 2 copies can just loop each other infinitely during the End Phase.

S'the Iron Giant. "You are what you choose to be" is that last words of the kid running through the titan's mind as he's rocketing up for his heroic sacrifice, and the Giant's last words there are "...Supermaaan...."

Anyways, yeah I might put in that caveat you talked about.

S'the Iron Giant. "You are what you choose to be" is that last words of the kid running through the titan's mind as he's rocketing up for his heroic sacrifice, and the Giant's last words there are "...Supermaaan...."

Oh man, haven't seen the Iron Giant in years! Maybe even a decade! I should watch it again...

Archived