Rabunneko,An Archetype I decided to try and make

TeddySlasher

Rabunneko

The Prompt:

Aw, how cute- OH MY GOD MY FACE!

This archetype is half Beasts, half Beast Warriors, all explosive fun times. The Beasts make up a solid, cute engine of Level 1-3 monsters, and are generally themed after various adorable little critters- rabbits, kittens, puppies, squirrels, all that jazz. The Beast-Warriors, by contrast, are animal girls of Levels 4-6, themed after the various Beasts- for example, Rabunneko Kitten is a Level 2, and her counterpart, Rabunneko Cat Burglar is a Level 5.

Generally speaking, this archetype likes abusing Supply Squad, and their archetypal counterpart- the Beasts either trigger it with self-destructive effects or make you plus even faster by having effects that trigger in response to their own destruction, and the Beast-Warriors can all Special Summon themselves if an archetype member is destroyed, and given that they have solid effects dependent on their own Special Summon you're looking for excuses to go big with suicidal effects.

Their primary playstyle, beyond just really enjoying suicide, is aggressive control- eliminating your opponent's resources so that they have nothing to fight back with. Which is good . . . because, as stated, their biggest monsters are Level 6. You're not exactly swimming in big beaters.

That said, given their Types and low Levels, they make for a solid archetype to use for Synchro and low-Rank Xyz. Also, not a nomi clause in sight around here, so worst comes to worst you can always tech in a copy of Stormforth.

I wanted to try and tackle this since I was looking through stuff I wanna make. That and I didn't do much since my first post with my "Locked" Archetype. So yeah.

Monsters

Rabunneko Kitten

Earth/Beast/Effect

You can send this card to the GY; add 1 Level 4 or higher "Rabunneko" monster from your Deck to your hand.

ATK:500/DEF:500

Rabunneko Cat Burglar

Earth/Beast-Warrior/Effect

If a Level 3 or lower "Rabunneko" monster is sent from the field to the GY, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. If Summoned this way, your opponent discards 1 card and you draw 1 card. This effect can only be used once per turn.

ATK:2200/DEF:1600

Rabunneko Rabbit

Earth/Beast/Effect

You can send this card to the GY and gain life points equal to the number of cards in your GY x 200.

ATK:100/DEF:300

Rabunneko Rabbit Mage

If a Level 3 or lower "Rabunneko" monster is sent from the field to the GY, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. If Summoned this way, you can target cards in your opponents GY up to the amount of "Rabunneko" monsters in your GY; banish them.

ATK:1600/DEF:1800

Rabunneko Puppy

Earth/Beast/Effect

You send this card to the GY and target 1 monster your opponent controls; that monster cannot attack or activate its effects until your next End Phase.

ATK:1000/DEF:900

Rabunneko She-Wolf

If a Level 3 or lower "Rabunneko" monster is sent from the field to the GY, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. If Summoned this way, target 1 monster on the field; destroy it.

ATK:2500/DEF:1800

Rabunneko Fox

Earth/Beast/Effect

You can send this card to the GY and target 1 Spell/Trap on the field; it cannot be activated.

ATK:1200/DEF:800

Rabunneko Kistune

If a Level 3 or lower "Rabunneko" monster is sent from the field to the GY, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. If Summoned this way, target Spells/Traps on the field up to the number of "Rabunneko" monsters in your GY; destroy them.

ATK:2600 DEF:2000

Rabunneko Raccoon

Earth/Beast/Effect

You can send this card to the GY and target 1 face-up card your opponent controls; return it to the hand.

ATK:400/DEF:600

Rabunneko Tanuki Prankster

If a Level 3 or lower "Rabunneko" monster is sent from the field to the GY, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. If Summoned this way, this card can attack directly.

ATK:1900/DEF:1800

Spells/Traps

Rebirth Cycle

Continuous Spell

Once Per Turn,when a Level 3 or lower "Rabunneko" monster is sent to the GY: You can add 1 "Rabunneko" monster that is 3 levels higher than that monster in your GY from your Deck to your hand. During your Main Phase: You can banish this card from your GY; add 1 Level 3 or lower "Rabunneko" monster from your GY to your hand.

Guilt Trap Hole

Normal Trap

When a Level 3 or lower "Rabunneko" monster would be destroyed by battle; add 1 level 4 or higher "Rabunneko" monster from your deck to your hand then, destroy the monster that destroyed your monster.

Rapid Reincarnation

Quick-Play Spell

Discard 1 Level 3 or lower "Rabunneko" monster and target 1 Level 4 or higher "Rabunneko" monster in your GY; Special Summon it. It is treated as though it were Summoned by its own effects.

Holy cow, out of literally ALL the archetypes in that game, it's really funny you decided to do this one since there were two differing prompts for the same archetype and I actually used the other prompt when I made them!

With that said, I can't NOT give these a little critique!  I'll also try to fix up some of the card grammar, so the cards are a bit more clear.

Rabunneko Kitten
Earth/Beast/Effect
You can send this card to the GY; add 1 Level 4 or higher "Rabunneko" monster from your Deck to your hand.
ATK:500/DEF:500

Card is a solid start. A basic searcher that helps trigger the effects of the big ones.

Rabunneko Cat Burglar
If a Level 3 or lower "Rabunneko" monster is sent from the field to the GY, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. If Summoned this way, your opponent discards 2 cards and you draw 2 cards.
ATK:2200/DEF:1600

*winces a bit* this one is way too powerful, unfortunately. It's really easy to trigger between the lower level Rabunneko monsters themselves or through Link Summoning. A big problem with it is that there is no once per turn on it, so if you have 2 or more in your hand, you can make your opponent discard FOUR cards, which is pretty insane and that's without counting the Pot of Greed effect. You might want to rework this one.

Rabunneko Rabbit
Earth/Beast/Effect
When this card is destroyed by battle or card effect: Gain life points equal to the number of cards in your GY x 200.
ATK:100/DEF:300

This one feels a bit weird for me. It focuses on destruction while most of the others focus on being "sent" to the GY (which are very different things). The thing is, there is no in-archetype way to trigger this yourself, so it feels a bit awkward. Maybe if it was changed to being sent OR if you added a few self-destruction cards, it could be more useful.

Rabunneko Rabbit Mage
If a Level 3 or lower "Rabunneko" monster is sent from the field to the GY, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. If Summoned this way, you can target 1 monster in your opponents GY; banish it.
ATK:1600/DEF:1800

If I'm honest, after seeing Cat Burglar, this one felt a bit underwhelming. Banishing your opponent's GY resources is useful, but only 1 doesn't do much, especially if limited to monsters. There's a few things you could do to increase its power, so I'll leave it up to you if you want to. :D

Rabunneko Puppy
Earth/Beast/Effect
You send this card to the GY and target 1 monster your opponent controls; that monster cannot attack or activate its effects until your next End Phase.
ATK:1000/DEF:900

An interesting card to help lock down problematic opponent's monsters during your turn. Not much else to say about it other than that it's a good trigger for your levels 4-6. I like this one!

Rabunneko She-Wolf
If a Level 3 or lower "Rabunneko" monster is sent from the field to the GY, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. If Summoned this way, target 1 monster on the field; destroy it.
ATK:2500/DEF:1800

This feels the most balanced of the 4-6s. Targeted destruction effects are not the best in modern YGO, but the monster having 2500 ATK should supplement that effect. Good job with the balancing on this one!

Rabunneko Fox
Earth/Beast/Effect
When this card is destroyed by battle or card effect: You can target 1 Spell/Trap on the field; it cannot be activated.
ATK:1200/DEF:800

A permanent S/T lockdown is pretty good. However, I have to point out that this card might not always trigger since it can miss timing (for example, if your opponent used "Soul Taker" against this, it would not trigger b/c the last thing to happen is the LP gain. If this was intentional, you can leave it, but if you want to allow it to trigger as often as possible, I'd recommend changing the "When" to an "If". Otherwise, I like this one, but I also have the same concerns with this as Rabbit.

Rabunneko Kistune
If a Level 3 or lower "Rabunneko" monster is sent from the field to the GY, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. If Summoned this way, target Spells/Traps on the field up to the number of "Rabunneko" monsters in your GY; destroy them.
ATK:2600 DEF:2000

Definitely the second most powerful of the high levels with a solid effect on top of 2600 ATK. In terms of a general "strength level" this card is probably the best card in the bunch when trying to balance cards for the current strength of YGO. All in all, I really like this one as well!

Rabunneko Raccoon
Earth/Beast/Effect
You can send this card to the GY and target 1 face-up card your opponent controls; return it to the hand.
ATK:400/DEF:600

A simple bounce card. Honestly, I'm a bit surprised Konami hasn't made a monster with this kind of effect in the real game. That said, this is balanced and probably the second best low-level monster you'd want to use to summon the high level ones.

Rabunneko Tanuki Prankster
If a Level 3 or lower "Rabunneko" monster is sent from the field to the GY, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. If Summoned this way, this card can attack directly this turn.
ATK:1900/DEF:1800

This one is a little underwhelming since most of the others have effects that can be used during your opponent's turn while this is restricted to your turn. While 1900 direct attack is pretty strong, it is actually outmatched by a combo that summons a monster from the Deck that can attack your opponent with 2300 ATK (Empowerment + Ventdra the Empowered Warrior). Might I suggest making the direct attack effect permanent if it's summoned by its own effect?  It'd open up a bit of flexibility.

Rebirth Cycle
Continuous Spell
When a Level 3 or lower "Rabunneko" monster is sent to the GY: You can add 1 "Rabunneko" monster that is 3 levels higher than that monster in your GY from your Deck to your hand. During your Main Phase: You can banish this card from your GY; add 1 Level 3 or lower "Rabunneko" monster from your GY to your hand.

This actually reminds me of Black Whirlwind. It's vitally important for the deck, but it isn't actually in the archetype. Not much to say about this card, though I might recommend putting a "Once per turn" somewhere on it so it wouldn't accidentally become ridiculous.

Guilt Trap Hole
Normal Trap
When a Level 3 or lower "Rabunneko" monster is destroyed by battle; destroy the monster that destroyed it then add 1 Level 4 or higher "Rabunneko" monster from your Deck to your hand.

A searcher for the high-level monsters. It's alright, but being locked until AFTER your monster gets destroyed is kinda unfortunate since you can't actually summon the monster you searched. It's not the worst card, but it isn't nearly as helpful as Rebirth Cycle.

Rapid Reincarnation
Normal Spell
Discard 1 Level 3 or lower "Rabunneko" monster and target 1 Level 4 or higher "Rabunneko" monster in your GY; Special Summon it. It is treated as though it were Summoned by its own effects.

Sorry, I took a little liberty with rewriting this one. I actually really like this card since it opens up some unique flexibility with your monsters and fixes the problem of having too many low level Rabunnekos. If I had one issue with this card, I admit I'd love it if it was a Quick-Play Spell or even a Normal Trap, but that's really minor.

Overall, I think you designed these pretty well.  Can't wait to see what else ya come up with!

Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback,I think I'll make some if not all the changes tbh. I always want to try to improve. Btw I didn't notice you did the other prompt until I already took down the one I used. Anyways thanks again and I'll be posting more after I'm done tweaking these.

No problem!  And don't worry about accidentally using the same prompt, half the fun is seeing how different people interpret the same idea! :D

Archived