My Minecraft Turtle Experience

Ultimagamer

Not really a meme, but this was the old misc category. TLDR at the end. 

turtle-baby-turtle-ea1cf.png

( Not my picture btw, just one I found on google ). 

I've been playing Minecraft for a while now ( just got back into it, it's just as fun as I remember ), and while out exploring with my compass ( I run in far away, knowing I have my compass do bring me home ) I spot TURTLES. 

The second I saw those turtles I wanted to bring them home. I looked up how I should breed them online, and find all of the necessary info. After a few real life hours of using sea grass to lure 2 turtles over to my home, I finally arrive at my house. I build a mini dirt pit home with some water in it while I rush around trying to use the giant marsh near my house to my advantage to build a giant underwater habitat for the turtles. Thankfully, near my house there is a giant oak forest which I've planted over time, so I was able to get a lot of quick oak wood nice and fast for fences.

After a lot of work, the giant habitat is complete. I bring the turtles out of the pit and over into the habitat. I use sea grass on both of them, and they start to breed. Unfortunately though, much to my dismay, they don't start laying eggs on the sand, and keep staying near the edge of the habitat, even when I lure them away with more sea grass. I do more research, and it turns out that turtles have to head back to their home in order to lay eggs. The only way to pick up those eggs is with a pick axe with a silk touch enchantment. 

At that moment, I promised myself that I would create that silk touch pick axe no matter what. 

I start to work right away, looking for diamonds. After quite a lot of tunneling, I'm able to find a cave, and in it are 3 diamonds! I remember though that you technically need 5 diamonds since you need to make a diamond pick axe in addition to the 2 diamonds you need for a table. After a lot more getting lost around caves, I'm able to find 4 more diamonds! I had to tunnel my way straight up to get out, but it was worth it to find those diamonds. Thankfully the cave I tunneled up from was relatively close to my house ( good thing too, since I didn't have my compass on me ). 

After getting a bit of obsidian with the new diamond pick axe ( probably the first diamond pick axe I've ever made on a no cheats survival profile ) I'm able to make that table. Problem now is that I need 15 book shelves to give the table knowledge. Thankfully again, I already have 5 shelves made, and I have a small cow farm near my house. After a while of breeding and killing cows, as well as hunting cows relatively close to my house in the wild, I'm able to get enough leather for books. A sugarcane farm near my house supplied all of the paper for it, and the tree farm gave all of the wood. 

With the shelves assembled and in the right spots, I think I'm ready to enchant! I get confused right away though, as I don't see silk touch appearing in the enchantments. I look up on how to get silk touch, and someone suggests using a bunch of throwaway items to level up the table. After putting 15-ish pick axes through the enchantment table ( costing me that many levels ) the table stops letting me get the 2 cost enchantment. After doing a bit more research, I find out that the number on the right side must be less than or equal to your experience level to use it in enchanting, and I just wasted a lot of experience. 

I needed experience, and I wanted it fast. Monster slaying? Pass on that. Breeding? Works, but too slow. 

Then I remember all of those coals and gems I passed in that cave earlier while wandering around trying to get back. 

I quickly make my way back under into that cave, and mine an absolute ton of coal ( at least 5 stacks of 64 coal from what I remember ) as well as a bunch of lapis, redstone, gold, and iron. Again, I gotta tunnel straight upward to find my way back out, but this time I have my compass on me, so I'm not too worried about it. Turns out I mined my way near my house again, so it wasn't even needed. Since I was able to head out of a small cavern on my way out to the surface this time, I leave a big granite X near the opening, so I can find it on a map again when I make one. 

I head back to that enchanting table, armed with the knowledge on how to play it's game. I scrounge up some spare unenchanted tools around my house and get to work. After about 6-ish attempts to get silk touch with no luck, I get a bit worried, since I'm now at level 17. Thankfully though, silk touch appears right at the 2nd row, requiring level 17 to purchase. 

I purchase that REAL QUICK on my diamond pick axe. 

With a silk touch pick axe in my possession, I'm almost ready to go. I make a spruce boat and head on over to the turtle habitat. I'm about to let the turtles out when I think to myself "I should probably get my shears, so I can get some sea grass while I'm out". I close the habitat again, and head back to my house. I'm really glad I did, as I FORGOT THE SILK TOUCH PICK AXE in a chest in the basement, and stumbled across it while looking for my shears. ( I left the pick axe in the basement chest so I wouldn't accidentally lose it while doing something, in case I died ). 

I head back over to the turtle habitat, and with all of the required tools on me, I open the habitat and help the turtles out. 

It takes a bit to get the turtles out and around my house, but I get them to the other side of the marsh without much trouble. I mostly let the turtles walk by themselves, since they know the way back to their house. I stick with turtle 1, since turtle 2 seemed to be heading off in a different path, heading leftward from where I was standing.

I helped the turtle up over a hill, down it again, and over another hill onto a grassy plain. I mine some dirt along the way, to help me scout ahead and help the turtles move around. I build a quick dirt tower upward to see around at how far it will take. 

Looking to my left, I spot turtle 2 again, slowly crawling it's way over. I'm shocked, as I wasn't expecting to see that turtle again before we reached it's house. It's a nice surprise though. I still stick with turtle 1, as it's taken a small bit of fall damage, and I want to make sure it's safe. 

After a little more walking and mining dirt, I spot an illager tower not too far away. Playing on peaceful mode, I had nothing to fear from that tower, no omens to get from killing any illagers. I think about heading over to it, but decide not to "I don't want to lose track of the turtles". After a bit more walking however, we get closer, and given the slow speed of the turtle, I change my mind and quickly head over to that tower. I mine my way through the side, and gain mossy cobblestone for the first time ( I hadn't found any monster spawners yet ). I make my way to the top of the tower, and find the chest there. There are some iron ingots and other things in there. I take the ingots, leave the other items, seal up my entrance with the mossy cobblestone, and rush quickly back to the turtle. 

After heading to the base of a mountain, with a river right before it, I get nervous again "What if the turtle tries to climb the mountain, and falls again" I think to myself. I place down my boat in the water, and lure the turtle down to the water with sea grass. The turtle gets in my boat, and I get shocked again for a quick second. I then remembered the guide video on turtles I watched, which said that you can ride with turtles in boats. With that in mind, I get in the boat with the turtle, and make my way down the river. I have to mine a little more dirt to get through, but it's worth it since the sea was right after that mountain. 

I let the turtle out of the boat by destroying the boat ( carefully with my axe, so as not to hurt the turtle ) and quickly replace my boat again. I follow the turtle across the sea, and in almost no time at all, I am at it's home beach. 

I bring the turtle up onto the beach with sea grass, and it quickly starts the process of laying eggs! I'm getting really excited at this point, since I'm so close to having those eggs. The turtle lays 3 eggs, and after gently testing the silk touch pick axe, I mine all 3 eggs. 

SUCCESS AT LAST!!! 

I have those eggs! After all my hard work the eggs are mine! 

I breed the turtle again with a nearby turtle ( not turtle 2, but another turtle that just happened to be nearby ). This time, the turtle only produces 1 egg, which I mine again. I start to head home after that, taking a quick stop to swim around with a dolphin. I try to mine a little more sea grass while I'm with the dolphin, but only succeed in getting kelp, which the dolphin bounces around me. 

I'm heading back home around that mountain, when I think to myself "I wonder where turtle 2 is". I was thinking on staying at the home beach and waiting for it, but it was taking too long for me, so I started heading home anyway. After I get around that mountain, I spot that amazing turtle 2, just about at the river. I lure him down into my boat with sea grass ( intentionally this time ) and boat him all the way over to his home beach, since I know the location this time. 

I help turtle 2 breed, and it produces another 3 eggs! I'm thinking on mining them, but I decide against it. "4 eggs for me, 3 eggs for you guys" I think to myself. I then head back, eager to hatch those eggs. 

I make it into my turtle habitat and place all 4 eggs on the same spot on my beach. I promise myself I will not leave the habitat until every egg hatches. I did indeed. I did leave watching them a couple times to slay some squids and fish that were getting through the fence somehow. Seeing them get through worried me again, so I did some research on what hunts the turtles. Thankfully, squids and fish are not on that list. After that, I just leave them be, since they won't be doing any harm. 

After 40-ish minutes of waiting, they finally hatch 

3 of the turtles hatch! 

THEY ARE FINALLY HERE!!!!!!!!!

THEY ARE SO SMALL AND CUTE AND SWIMMING AROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

It's hard to want to do anything else with these turtles here, they are so cute! 

I'm so glad I got those turtles, it was worth every minute of hard work. 

Edit: Not sure if all 4 hatched, but there are currently 4 in my habitat. I thought only 3 hatched, but it turns out all 4 of them hatched!

[spoiler=TLDR]

I lure turtles to my home, and after finding out I can't breed them, work hard to create a silk touch diamond pick axe, bring those turtles back to their home, pick up some eggs, and spawn those turtles near my house in the special habitat I created for them. 

Another update: I've bred the turtles a couple more times, and I've also removed the fencing on the habitat. Since turtles remember where their spawn point is, they don't need to be kept in fencing like other animals do. 

I've noticed that they like to occasionally gather around a certain part of the beach, and 1 of them likes to hang out more out back on a small patch of sand. 

Archived