Tattoo Archetype [WRITTEN]

Tinkerer

Hello, fine peoples!

So this is an archetype idea I've had in my head for a while, but I never really knew what direction to take it.  The image in my head was of these buff martial artist-looking peeps who are covered with tattoos that come off their skin to strike at their enemies.  Kinda like Fire Fist (the new reveals reminded me of this idea tbh), except the tattoos didn't have to be animals.  For the overall theme, think something like Medusa from Soul Eater.

From there, I knew I wanted the Tattoos to be equips in some capacity while the other monsters are the "Tattoo Artists" (which I'm making Fairies because... why not :-P).  This version of the archetype makes the Tattoos Union monsters, but I might return to this concept and change it up entirely.

So without further ado, here's the archetype!

[spoiler=Tattoo Artist]

Tattoo Artist of the Blood Cobra

DARK ****

Fairy/Effect

When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: Equip 1 "Tattoo" Union monster from your hand or GY to this card.  Monsters your opponent controls with more ATK than this card cannot activate their effects.  If this card is equipped with "Venomous Tattoo", (Quick Effect): You can target 1 Spell/Trap card your opponent controls; make this card's ATK 0 until the End Phase, and if you do, send that target to the GY.  You can only use this effect of this card's name once per turn.

1600/1400

So the gimmick for these cards is that they want the opponent's monsters to have more ATK so their control-based continuous effects can lock down opponent's moves.  This one has the strongest continuous effect, but also one of the highest ATKs as well as the most conditional quick effect, making it a bit more difficult to use effectively.

Tattoo Artist of the Crimson Fire

FIRE ****

Fairy/Effect

When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: Equip 1 "Tattoo" Union monster from your hand or GY to this card.  Monsters your opponent controls with more ATK than this card cannot target cards you control for attacks or card effects except "Tattoo Artist of the Crimson Fire".  If this card is equipped with "Tattoo of Flames", (Quick Effect): You can send 1 "Tattoo" monster from your hand or Deck to the GY; reduce this card's ATK by the ATK of that monster until the End Phase, and if you do, inflict damage to your opponent equal to the ATK of the sent monster.  This card cannot attack the turn you activate this effect.  You can only use this effect of this card's name once per turn.

1900/200

One of the victory condition monsters.  Since you're focusing on keeping your monsters at low ATK, this card (as well as a few others) have the important job of actually inflicting damage to the opponent.

Tattoo Artist of the Reaper's Skull

DARK ****

Fairy/Effect

When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: Equip 1 "Tattoo" Union monster from your hand or GY to this card.  Monsters your opponent controls with more ATK than this card cannot declare an attack.  If this card is equipped with "Tattoo of the Archfiend", (Quick Effect): You can target 1 monster your opponent controls; destroy that target, and if you do, increase this card's ATK by that monster's ATK until the End Phase.  You can only use this effect of this card's name once per turn.

1000/2000

Another aggro-based monster, this time coupled with a basic monster removal effect.  Probably the least actively useful among the four artists if not equipped with the correct tattoo.

Tattoo Artist of the Archaic Mechanism

EARTH ****

Fairy/Effect

When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: Equip 1 "Tattoo" Union monster from your hand or GY to this card.  Monsters your opponent controls with more ATK than this card cannot be Tributed or used as Material.  If this card is equipped with "Ancient Gadget Tattoo", (Quick Effect): You can halve this card's ATK until the End Phase; Special Summon 1 "Tattoo" monster from your hand, Deck, or GY.  You can only use this effect of this card's name once per turn.

1400/500

One of the deck's primary play makers for getting the deck moving and also one of the strongest control effects.  The issue with this is that it can easily be run over without further protection.

[spoiler=Tattoos]

Venomous Tattoo

DARK *

Reptile/Union/Tuner/Effect

If this card is Special Summoned: You can send the top card from your Deck to the GY; add 1 "Tattoo" monster from your Deck to your hand.  You can only use this effect of this card's name once per turn.  You can either: Target 1 "Tattoo" or Reptile monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it.  You can only use this effect of this card's name once per phase.  A monster equipped with this card gains 400 ATK during your turn, also if the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle or card effect, destroy this card instead. (A monster can only be equipped with 1 Union monster.)

400/0

While the Artists focused on stun and control, the Tattoos are the ones that normally make plays.  Text is long because of the union monster conditions, but I want to point out that these act different from normal union monsters.  Normally, unions can either equip or unequip once a turn.  These can equip/unequip once a phase, but in exchange, they have HOPTs, so you can't spam unequip for infinite spam fodder.  These also have the old union condition of only allowing 1 Union per monster.

All the Tattoos have an effect that works on Special Summon which increases deck consistency.  Finally, all the Tattoos increases monster ATK during your turn and decreases it during the opponent's turn (based on the ATK/DEF of the Tattoos respectively).

Tattoo of Flames

FIRE *

Pyro/Union/Tuner/Effect

If this card is Special Summoned: You can target 1 non-Union "Tattoo" monster in your GY, then discard 1 card; inflict damage to your opponent equal to the Level of that target x 200, and if you do, Special Summon it.  You can only use this effect of this card's name once per turn.  You can either: Target 1 "Tattoo" or Pyro monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it.  You can only use this effect of this card's name once per phase.  A monster equipped with this card gains 300 ATK during your turn and loses 200 ATK during your opponent's turn, also if the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle or card effect, destroy this card instead. (A monster can only be equipped with 1 Union monster.)

300/200

This monster SS's a monster from Grave while also inflicting more burn damage.

Tattoo of the Archfiend

DARK *

Zombie/Union/Tuner/Effect

If this card is Special Summoned: You can target 1 other monster you control; send 1 "Tattoo" monster with less ATK than the target from your Deck to the GY, and if you do, monsters your opponent controls lose ATK equal to the sent monster's ATK until the End Phase.  You can only use this effect of this card's name once per turn.  You can either: Target 1 "Tattoo" or Zombie monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it.  You can only use this effect of this card's name once per phase.  A monster equipped with this card gains 500 ATK during your turn, also if the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle or card effect, destroy this card instead. (A monster can only be equipped with 1 Union monster.)

500/0

Dumps specific Tattoos in the GY for use with the Synchro or particular Artists.

Ancient Gadget Tattoo

EARTH *

Machine/Union/Tuner/Effect

If this card is Special Summoned: You can tribute this card; add 1 "Tattoo" Spell/Trap from your Deck to your hand, then inflict 500 damage to your opponent.  You can only use this effect of this card's name once per turn.  You can either: Target 1 "Tattoo" or Machine monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it.  You can only use this effect of this card's name once per phase.  A monster equipped with this card gains 100 ATK during your turn and loses 500 ATK during your opponent's turn, also if the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle or card effect, destroy this card instead. (A monster can only be equipped with 1 Union monster.)

100/500

Spell/Trap Searcher.

[spoiler=Backrow]
The Tattoo Dojo

Field Spell

When this card is activated: Send 1 "Tattoo" card from your Deck to the GY.  All "Tattoo" monsters you control gain 200 ATK during your turn and lose 300 ATK during your opponent's turn.  If this card is in the GY: You can send 1 face-up card in your Spell/Trap Zone to the GY; activate this card.  You can only use each effect of "The Tattoo Dojo" once per turn.

Since the field would be pretty clogged between the Artists and their Tattoos, I decided to make the backrow work in the GY to give them more utility.  This card gets that ball rolling while also fitting into the Artist's play style.

Tattoo Rites

Continuous Trap

If your opponent activates a card or effect in response to a "Tattoo" monster's effect: You can discard 1 card; that effect becomes:

- All monsters your opponent controls lose 1000 ATK until the End Phase.

You can either: Shuffle 1 non-Union "Tattoo" monster from your GY into your Deck; add 1 Union "Tattoo" monster from your Deck to your hand OR: Shuffle 1 Union "Tattoo" monster from your GY into your Deck; add 1 non-Union "Tattoo" monster from your Deck to your hand.  You can only use this effect of "Tattoo Rites" once per turn.  During the Main Phase: You can banish this card and 1 other card from your GY; Special Summon 1 "Tattoo" monster from your hand.

Probably the most important card of the deck.  It insures your monster effects go off, trades in your Graveyard-dumping for searches, and allows you to get multiple Artists on the field at the same time.

Tattoo Training

Trap

Send 2 "Tattoo" cards from your Deck to the GY.  During the Main Phase, you can banish this card from your GY; Fusion or Synchro Summon 1 "Tattoo" monster using monsters you control as Material.

Another card dump and is mostly supposed to help move pieces into the correct places.  It also lets you Fusion or Synchro as a quick effect, enabling more dodging and swapping into different control effects mid-turn.  Also a critical card of the deck.

Tattoo Shielding

Continuous Trap

If a "Tattoo" monster you control is targeted by your opponent's card (for an attack or card effect): You can equip 1 "Tattoo" Union monster from your hand, side of the field, or GY to 1 "Tattoo" non-Union monster you control (if possible), and if you do, negate that attack or effect.  You can only use this effect of "Tattoo Shielding" once per turn.  If another "Tattoo" card(s) would be destroyed by your opponent's card (by battle or card effect); you can banish this card from your side of the field or GY instead.

Another targeting protection card.  This is meant to help in the case where you Special Summon one of the Unions during MP2 and cannot reequip it.  Destruction protection as the GY effect.  Honestly, I'm not feeling this one; It feels specific but also really excessive. I'll probably get rid of it or change it in some way.

[spoiler=Tattoo Synchro]

Dual Wielding Tattoo Artist

LIGHT *****

Fairy/Synchro/Effect

1 "Tattoo" Tuner + 1+ non-Tuner monsters

When this card is Synchro Summoned: Equip up to 2 "Tattoo" Union monsters from your hand or GY to this card (This card can always be equipped with up to 2 Union monsters, ignoring the Union monster's conditions).  This card gains the following effects based on the monsters equipped to it:

- Venomous Tattoo: Monsters in the Extra Monster Zone with more ATK than this card cannot activate their effects, attack, or be used as Material.

- Tattoo of Flames: During the End Phase, inflict damage to your opponent equal to the difference between this monster's ATK and the ATK of the monster your opponent controls with the highest ATK.

- Tattoo of the Archfiend: Destroy all monsters your opponent controls with more ATK than this card during the End Phase.

- Ancient Gadget Tattoo: "Tattoo" monsters you control cannot be destroyed while your opponent controls a monster(s) with more ATK than this card.

1500/1500

Powerful boss monster that... should speak for itself.  It's ridiculous, but honestly, I really love how it turned out.  This'll be the only in-archetype Synchro despite the fact that the deck could easily ladder from this monster.

Fusions to come later.  Or maybe I'll remove that aspect of the deck.  Not sure yet.  This took a ton of time to make as it is and I'm starting to get a bit of a headache... sooo, yeah.

Thanks for the look-through, and as always, CnC is much appreciated!

Cheers!

I think using the old Union conditions alongside a hard OPT is a really novel idea. I’d love to see these in action. I do think that it’s odd that some of your effects cause your monsters to gain ATK if the goal is to always have less.

Thanks for the look-through!

I tried to make the ATK gain only happen during your turn since a) the effects are pretty strong if they were always online, and b) I'd have to change up the win condition to be more burn-heavy.  While the goal is normally to have less ATK, I did want to allow them to deal damage in some way and I really didn't feel comfortable going full burn.

Archived