Throne of Eldraine Discussion (MtG)

It got me a new commander deck in Trobran so that's something. Other than that I got a decent bunch of options for commander. Great Henge and Return of the Wildspeaker both seem super good in a variety of Green decks. The Castles all seem solid. Oko seems really solid in GU since the color combo has a ton of issues dealing with opposing creatures. Arcane Signet is finally dropping in price and when the second wave of Brawl decks come out it should be a reasonable price. I don't think the card is an auto include in most commander decks, but if you're playing a 2 drop mana rock this is likely the best.

Brazen Burrower has made Ux Tempo decks significantly worthwhile, having access to other options with VClique. The UWx lists seem pretty solid, having Queller as well. The evasion is so much more powerful than playing Geist, which acts as a delayed burnspell.

Oko pushed UW Stoneblade out of the format, while pushing Bant Stoneblade to the best run of the archetype in any color combination.

Emry is insane in the Jeskai Ascendancy/Paradoxical Outcome decks. Those decks are insanely fun but they come up short later on as their repetition become unbearable to play. Though, this is now the deck to beat, so it means that if you're gonna play you need a plan to beat the deck.

The Questing Beast + Oko + the rest of the Standard fools make a ridiculous deck that is centered around a land. That should not happen in Standard, when land hate does not exist and there is nothing to keep it in check. Trying to manage a format without having the tools to mitigate the damage, even if the deck is not as oppression, makes for a terrible Standard format and I cannot stand to touch it until that is solved. Playing Arena is not bad since there are multiple avenues to play Standard, but the paper and the tournament formats are ungodly for this reason.

Yea, Oko is pretty nuts. Like, the transform effects have never been very good, but when you can keep doing it it basically invalidates everything's text. Plus he gains you a ton of life to help pad against stuff you don't want to grow and over two turns just makes blockers for you too. 

Emry is 100% a result of play design. They now have the ability to push certain cards for modern and older formats and if the recent track record is anything to go by they are going to keep making giant waves in older formats now.

Yea, Field of the Dead seems like something they weren't expecting to be this good. A cute card with some standard application, but you have so much ramp and Golos just finds you field the deck is doing WAY more than I would have expected without Scapeshift.

Archived