[Written] Pot of Blood Stone

Peter Rose

Name: Pot of Blood Stone

Type: Normal Spell

Text: Banish 7 Monsters with different original names from your deck face-down, draw 2 cards. For the rest of this turn after this card resolves, your opponent takes no damage. You cannot Special Summon Effect Monsters during the turn you activate this effect.

Hey!  Welcome back!

This card is really intriguing.  However, as far as I can tell, it might be near unusable.  When you designed the card, how did you intend it to be used?

I was trying to figure out the answer, but aspects of the card kept getting in the way.  Firstly, the cost suggests using it in a deck that has a lot of monsters.  However, because this card locks you out of Special Summons, decks that have a lot of monsters probably wouldn't be able to use them.  Then, I thought of decks that may not focus on Special Summoning a lot.  The problem with those kinds of decks is that they usually don't have enough monsters to make this card work*.  Being able to activate multiple copies of this card is also unlikely, making it even harder to build around.

Some decks that I thought of:

• True Draco - Doesn't special summon, however most versions of the deck runs only 4-5 monsters.
  • Gren Maju OTK - This almost works.  It runs enough monsters, it can take advantage of the banish, certain iterations can go without Special Summoning... but their strategy is entirely dependent on winning ASAP, and this card also prevents damage.
  • Exodia - Same problem as True Draco.  Using this would likely result in having to banish an Exodia piece by accident.
  • Yosenju - Similar problem as Gren Maju.  The deck also probably cannot use the card more than once since the monster count is usually not that high.

The only deck that I could come up with that could use this is something like pure Psy-Frames: essentially a deck that contains nothing but hand traps.  However, I may be missing something very obvious, so I ask again: How did you intend for this card to be used?

*"Card of Demise" is another draw card that locks you out of Special Summons.  If you look at the kinds of decks here that were successful using Demise, you can see that most (if not all) of the decks have less than 7 different monsters.

3 hours ago, Tinkerer said:

Hey!  Welcome back!

This card is really intriguing.  However, as far as I can tell, it might be near unusable.  When you designed the card, how did you intend it to be used?

I was trying to figure out the answer, but aspects of the card kept getting in the way.  Firstly, the cost suggests using it in a deck that has a lot of monsters.  However, because this card locks you out of Special Summons, decks that have a lot of monsters probably wouldn't be able to use them.  Then, I thought of decks that may not focus on Special Summoning a lot.  The problem with those kinds of decks is that they usually don't have enough monsters to make this card work*.  Being able to activate multiple copies of this card is also unlikely, making it even harder to build around.

Some decks that I thought of:

• True Draco - Doesn't special summon, however most versions of the deck runs only 4-5 monsters.
  • Gren Maju OTK - This almost works.  It runs enough monsters, it can take advantage of the banish, certain iterations can go without Special Summoning... but their strategy is entirely dependent on winning ASAP, and this card also prevents damage.
  • Exodia - Same problem as True Draco.  Using this would likely result in having to banish an Exodia piece by accident.
  • Yosenju - Similar problem as Gren Maju.  The deck also probably cannot use the card more than once since the monster count is usually not that high.

The only deck that I could come up with that could use this is something like pure Psy-Frames: essentially a deck that contains nothing but hand traps.  However, I may be missing something very obvious, so I ask again: How did you intend for this card to be used?

*"Card of Demise" is another draw card that locks you out of Special Summons.  If you look at the kinds of decks here that were successful using Demise, you can see that most (if not all) of the decks have less than 7 different monsters.

I intended it to be used with Decks that specialize in Normal/Tribute summoning as much as possible. More Specifically, Summoning a bunch of normal monsters/Geminis. It doesn't say you cant special summon at all, just effect monsters. Thanks for asking and yes, it's been a while since I've been on here. When designing this card, I thought about making a mix between Card of Demise and pot of Extravagance. The idea of banishing 6 cards to draw 2 but the punishment of card of Demise.

Archived