Card of the Day: March 28, 2007

Woo! Starting Card of the Day! And I decided to start with Removed-From-Play themed week. And what better way to start than a staple in the whole RFG-decktype, Dimensional Fissure!

Dimensional Fissure

EOJ-EN047 Status: Unlimited

Continuous Magic/Spell

Any monster sent to the Graveyard is removed from play instead.

This is a great card, but I think highly underused. Think of this cards' uses.

Searchers. They are everywhere nowadays, and this thing shuts them down cold. Note the wording on Sangan, the most-played searcher of them all:

Sangan

When this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard, move 1 monster with a ATK of 1500 or less from your Deck to your hand. Your Deck is then shuffled.

From the field to the graveyard, note "graveyard". So say goodbye to Sangan's search effect, sayonara UFO Turtle, adios Giant Rat, au revoir Mystic Tomato, etcetera etcetera. Searchers, a key part in most decks, are shut down.

Another thing this counters is Dark World. For their effects, you must discard them from the hand to the graveyard. If your opponent is playing Dark World and you get this out, your opponent can quit because you've simply shut down his strategy. In Traditional, this thing starves out Chaos if its' played early, depriving it of light + dark food. You render the opponents' Premature Burial or Call of the Haunted useless on monsters played after it. You deprive your opponent food for Special Summons like Dark Necrofear, where you must remove from the graveyard. The list goes on.

All of the above have been more detrimental to the opponent more than aiding yourself. Combo this thing with D.D. Survivor and you have a Treeborn Frog with stats a good deal higher. Also, if you have a ready-to-go Return from the Different Dimension (or Dimension Fusion, but Return from the Different Dimension is much preferred, as your opponent won't be able to play their RFG'd monsters) for a beatdown when/if you can get an empty enemy field.

Overall:

PROs:

+ Turns searchers like Sangan into useless vanilla monsters.

+ Devastates Dark World decks by rendering the opponent unable to discard from the hand to the grave.

+ Your opponent will most likely not be running RFG returns as much as graveyard returns like Premature and Call of the Haunted.

+ Shines when used with D.D Survivor or Return from the Different Dimension.

+ Returners, like Treeborn Frog, Black Ptera or Sacred Pheonix, are negated.

CONs:

- Affects you too, so YOUR searchers or returners (bar D.D. Survivor) won't work either.

- Is actually a -1 to your hand advantage.

- If your opponent Side Decks some counter against it, it can work against you/for your opponent too.

- Very susceptible to magic and trap removal.

Overall Score:

3.8/5.0 (as there are few support cards for RFG decks as compared to, say, E-Heros, Machines, Dark World, Warriors: all the commonly run decktypes in the current meta.)

PS. Feel free to write your own review of the card.

You've really gotta send me a list of your deck :cry: :cry: :cry: I have 3 Decks, my FGD OTK (pretty nice, but not used in tournys) a Six Samurai deck that I'm currently working the kinks out of, and a Fairy deck (uses the agents with RfP side decked)

I wasn't planning to' date=' but if you really want me to I will :twisted:[/quote']

Well, I'm expecting to be defeated, so why not against an International Standards deck, it will make me feel a little better. Of course, I will not reveal your tactics without you permission.

As soon as I get around to uploading my deck, I'll let you know, it will be a relitively un-changed deck from the one found here.

Archived