"Spellbound" / "Mellaxis" Set

Draconus297

Hey everybody, I have a bit of a question regarding my new card set. It primarily revolves around a single card, and the one person who's talked to me on the subject doesn't seem to be of much help (however, he's suggested limiting copies of each of the "Mellaxis" monsters to one, for balance reasons.

My main question is this:

Given an ideal hand ("Studious Sorceror Mellaxis", "Binding Moment", "Mage's Decision", "Ascension of Mellaxis", "Invocation of Contract", and whatever else that may be needed), which "Spellbound" monsters (there's one per Type- a Spellcaster, a Warrior, a Dragon, et cetera) you would use in combination.

Now, I admit, in certain combinations (Cloud Servant/Swordswoman, Ifrit/Swarm Queen, Archangel/Beast King, Reaper/Pterrano [if worked properly], Android/the most common Type in your opponent's Deck) certain "Spellbound" monsters are ridiculously powerful, especially considering that, thanks to "Studious Sorceror Mellaxis" (and, by extension, all the "Mellaxis" monsters) you can get out several "Spellbound" monsters on the first turn.

Now, I'm not sure if you can look at the cards I've created (I admit I'm new), but I'm assuming you can by dropping by on my profile. If you can't, I'll leave the information in a second post.

Yes, I know they have no card art. Yes, I'm trying to do something about it- I have a thread here that was what I had in mind when developing the set: http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/318321-excuse-me-but-im-not-an-artist/

EDIT: Looking around, I found the tutorial, and I realized most people put their cards in the OP.

d2ly5Ue.jpg

Simple card, and the main basis for the Set/Deck. Don't be fooled- he's very powerful, considering what he has up his Spellbound sleeve. Also, given a certain Spell Card (known as "Binding Moment"), he may become . . .

A7owy6y.jpg

Ta-da! Considerably more of a threat, and his effect is made near-broken if there's a "Spellbound" on the field- especially if its' the damned-near-immortal Swordswoman. 

This card's name is treated as "Mellaxis". This card may not be Normal Summoned or Set. This monster may only be Special Summoned by the effect of "Binding Moment". This monster gains the ATK, DEF, and effects of the monsters tributed for the effect of "Binding Moment". You may discard any one card from your hand to the Graveyard to negate any one attack. If there is a face-up "Spellbound" monster on your side of the field, the discard is optional.

22kO0WA.jpg

With the power of a decision (Specifically, the Spell Card "Mage's Decision"), our little boy has grown up a lot. He's now a major threat to pretty much everybody, and may the gods help you if a "Spellbound" was removed from play earlier. You may want to let your opponent keep the Vampiress on the field if you suspect they have Ultimate in their Deck.

This card's name is treated as "Mellaxis". This card may not be Normal Summoned or Set. This monster may only be Special Summoned by the effect of "Mage's Decision". When this monster is Special Summoned successfully, it gains the effect of all monsters tributed for the effect of "Mage's Decision". If "Binding Event" was activated in the last 3 turns before this monster was Summoned, all face-up "Spellbound" monsters gain the ATK and DEF of all other face-up "Spellbound" monsters. If any "Spellbound" monsters have been removed from play, this monster and all face-up "Spellbound" monsters cannot be removed from play.

nhyAMrn.jpg

And here's the end of our "Mellaxis" line. Holy hell, he's become ridiculously strong, hasn't he? With one little Spell Card, fittingly called "Ascension of Mellaxis", we have a monster worth writing home about on the field. Now, while his effect seems counterproductive, think about it a second- at minimum, you've milled your opponent for at least five cards, drastically shortening the Duel; at maximum, you just forced them to Deck-out.

This card's name is treated as "Mellaxis". This card may not be Normal Summoned or Set. This monster may only be Special Summoned by the effect of "Ascension of Mellaxis". When this monster has been Special Summoned successfully, it gains the effects of all monsters tributed for the effect of "Ascension of Mellaxis". If your opponent has no monsters on their side of the field, reveal cards from the top of your opponent's Deck until five monsters are revealed. Special Summon these five monsters to your opponent's side of the field in face-up Attack Position. Any non-monsters revealed are sent to the Graveyard.

CJAUFzm.jpg

Simple enough.

You may not activate this card if there are no cards in your hand. Tribute "Studious Sorceror Mellaxis" and one "Spellbound" monster from your side of the field to Special Summon one "Learned Sorceror Mellaxis" from your hand, Deck, or Graveyard. Transfer all Spell Counters that were on "Studious Sorceror Mellaxis" when it was Tributed to "Learned Sorceror Mellaxis".

ai1UdTy.jpg

Again, no real explanation needed.

You may only activate this card before your Battle Phase. Tribute "Leaned Sorceror Mellaxis" and two "Spellbound" monsters from your side of the field to Special Summon one "Ultimate Sorceror Mellaxis" from your hand, Deck, or Graveyard. Transfer all Spell Counters that were on "Learned Sorceror Mellaxis" when it was Tributed to "Ultimate Sorceror Mellaxis".

nFX7hOy.jpg

Surprisingly, I've discovered that, yes, it is entirely possible to activate "Binding Moment", "Mage's Decision", and "Ascension of Mellaxis" in the same turn- worse yet for your opponent, it can be the second turn (provided your opponent went first).

You may not activate this card if your opponent has no cards on the field. If "Binding Moment", "Mage's Decision", and this card were all activated in the same turn, draw one card. Tribute "Ultimate Sorceror Mellaxis" and three "Spellbound" monsters from your side of the field to Special Summon one "God-King Mellaxis" from your hand, Deck, or Graveyard. Transfer all Spell Counters that were on "Ultimate Sorceror Mellaxis" when it was Tributed to "God-King Mellaxis".

90pYJiO.jpg

She's nice, isn't she? Letting you see your opponent's hand and scan it for bad, bad cards like "Dark Hole", "Divine Wrath", "Lightning Vortex", and even monsters with monster-killing effects like "Fire King High Avatar Garunix". What's better, she negates their effects, too!

There may be only one "Spellbound Magic Student" on the field at any point in time. As long as this card is face-up on your side of the field, your opponent must show you his/her hand at all times. If there are any cards in your opponent's hand that have effects that could destroy "Mellaxis", send them to the Graveyard immediately, and negate their effects. If this monster was Special Summoned by the effect of "Mellaxis" and "Mellaxis" would be forced to leave the field by your opponent's card effect, you may send this card to the Graveyard instead.

fyCuCZs.jpg

Here she is, the near-immortal one I mentioned earlier. Here is why I said that- say she engages the big boys, like "Winged Dragon of Ra" or "The Wicked Avatar", in battle. The former has no base ATK, and the latter has only 100- meaning that she's a God-slayer.

There may be only one "Spellbound Swordswoman" on the field at any point in time. This card may not be Normal Summoned. This card is immune to all card effects excepting those of "Mellaxis" and "Spellbound" monsters. If a card's effect would negate this card's effect, negate the other card's effect instead. If this monster battles an Effect Monster, the other monster's Effect is negated. If this monster was Special Summoned by the effect of "Mellaxis" and it destroys an Effect Monster by battle, increase the ATK and DEF of this monster and "Mellaxis" by 200.

nXRWpcB.jpg

Dracena's not too bad, all things considered. I mean, admittedly a Level 4 monster with 2400 ATK is powerful, but there's worse you can find even prior to the modern metagame, and many players will find it hard not to activate her effect to save, say, their "Dragon Master Knight".

There may be only one "Spellbound Dracena" on the field at any point in time. If a monster on your side of the field would be destroyed, you may lower this monster's ATK by 300 to negate the attack or effect. If this monster's ATK reaches 0, destroy this card and the card responsible for triggering this effect, and negate any of the other card's effects. If this monster was Special Summoned by the effect of "Mellaxis", you may choose to lower the ATK of another "Spellbound" monster instead.

UEpFagZ.jpg

Ah, Vampiress. Keeping other "Spellbound" monsters in the Graveyard so they may be Special Summoned, being almost impossible to remove from play yourself . . . it's no wonder I like you so much.

There may be only one "Spellbound Vampiress" on the field at any point in time. If any monster on your side of the field or in your Graveyard (including this card) would be removed from play, pay 300 Life Points to Special Summon it to your side of the field instead. Monsters Special Summoned this way gain 300 ATK and DEF until the third End Phase after this effect was activated. During your Battle Phase, you may lower the ATK and DEF of one monster on your side of the field by 300 to let this monster attack twice this turn. If this monster was Special Summoned by the effect of "Mellaxis", you gain 100 Life Points every time this monster declares an attack.

DX7aZ9H.jpg

Reaper really should be called mill-grinder. NO SPELLS OR TRAPS FOR YOU!

There may be only one "Spellbound Reaper" on the field at any point in time. Every time this monster inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent's Life Points, your opponent must send one Spell or Trap card on their side of the field to the Graveyard. If your opponent has no Spell or Trap cards on the field, they must discard the top card of their Deck to the Graveyard instead (negate any effects that card has). If this monster was Special Summoned by the effect of "Mellaxis", increase the ATK and DEF of all "Spellbound" monsters you control by 300 every time a card enters the Graveyard.

JT9HwG0.jpg

Archangel is actually one of the weakest "Spellbound" monsters. Huh. 

There may be only one "Spellbound Archangel" on the field at any point in time. If another monster's ATK is increased, raise the ATK of this monster by an equivalent amount. If this monster is in Defense Position, the ATK of all monsters on your opponent's side of the field is treated as 0. If this monster was Special Summoned by the effect of "Mellaxis", this monster gains ATK and DEF equal to the ATK and DEF of the most recently Summoned "Spellbound" monster. (If "Spellbound Archangel" was the most recently Summoned "Spellbound" monster, this effect does nothing.)

HGkgdR7.jpg

Here we are, I fixed it.

Anyway, yeah. Luck hacks for the ultimate win.

There may be only one "Spellbound Ifrit" on the field at any point in time. As long as this card is face-up on the field, declare a result for all coin flips and die rolls. Your declared result is treated as the result of the coin/die. If this monster was Special Summoned by the effect of "Mellaxis", your opponent must flip a coin to Normal Summon, Tribute Summon, or Set. If the result is heads, the monster is Summoned successfully. If tails, the monster is not Summoned. (This effect continues even after "Spellbound Ifrit" leaves the field).

Sps1J1m.jpg

Snow Woman, Snow Woman, Snow Woman. Ain't she great?

There may be only one "Spellbound Snow Woman" on the field at any point in time. If your Life Points are increased, lower the Life Points of your opponent by an equivalent amount. If your opponent's Life Points are decreased, raise your Life Points by an equivalent amount. (These two effects do not activate each other.) If this monster was Special Summoned by the effect of "Mellaxis", raise your Life Points by 100 times the number of "Spellbound" monsters on your side of the field (including this card) during every Draw Phase.

vXnbO5Y.jpg

A Sea Serpent as Sea Serpents should be. Vicious, destructive, and an absolute pain in the butt to battle.

There may be only one "Spellbound Deepsea Terror" on the field at any point in time. If, during your Battle Phase, another monster on your side of the field declares an attack, you may choose not to attack this turn to lower the ATK of all monsters on your opponent's side of the field by half this monster's current ATK. If this is the only monster to attack this turn, its attacks may not be negated or redirected, and any damage they inflict is immune to card effects. If this monster was Special Summoned by the effect of "Mellaxis", raise this monster's ATK and DEF by 500 for every "Spellbound" monster on the field.

YXn2Pwl.jpg

'Cause it's a brick (da da da-da) house!

There may be only one "Spellbound Great White" on the field at any point in time. As long as this monster is in Defense position (face-up or not), it cannot leave the field unless its controller Tributes it or destroys it by card effect. If your opponent tries to remove this card from the field while it is in Defense Position, raise its ATK and DEF by 100. If this monster was Special Summoned by the effect of "Mellaxis" and it is forced out of Defense Position by a card's effect, reverse its ATK and DEF and triple them.

xncslac.jpg

I was always disappointed as a kid to see that Reptile-type monsters weren't all that powerful or useful (I really liked lizards and snakes. Still do.). So, naturally, one of the most powerful "Spellbound" monsters is a Reptile.

There may be only one "Spellbound Gorgon" on the field at any point in time. This monster may only be Summoned in Defense Position. If this monster is an attack target, lower the opposing monster's ATK by this monster's current DEF. If this monster was Special Summoned by the effect of "Mellaxis", flip all cards on your opponent's side of the field face-down. None of those cards may be flipped face-up or have their effects activated until this monster has been off the field for 3 turns.

OrySPAt.jpg

Now do you see why Archangel/Beast King is a devastating combination?

There may be only one "Spellbound Beast King" on the field at any point in time. If this monster destroys another monster in battle, this monster gains half of the destroyed monster's ATK and DEF. If the opposing monster had 0 ATK and DEF, your opponent must send one Monster Card from their hand or Deck to the Graveyard- negate any effects that monster has, if any. If this monster was Special Summoned by the effect of "Mellaxis", when this monster destroys a Defense position monster, this monster deals damage to your opponent's Life Points equal to the difference between this monster's ATK and the opposing monster's DEF.

MBjnhqs.jpg

For when your opponent is going a little too crazy with strong monsters or backfield-nuking.

There may be only one "Spellbound Aerial" on the field at any point in time. If your opponent activates an effect that would destroy or negate one of your Spell or Trap cards, one of your opponent's Spell or Trap cards is destroyed instead. As long as this monster is face-up on your side of the field, your opponent may not have 2 or more monsters on the field with 3000 ATK or higher- if they do, send monsters back to their hand until they don't. If this monster was Special Summoned by the effect of "Mellaxis", raise the ATK and DEF of all "Spellbound" monsters on your side of the field by 100 for every Spell and Trap card in the Graveyard.

FczamyQ.jpg

Cards with "trap" in their name that aren't Trap Cards? Blasphemy! Oh, right.

There may be only one "Spellbound Jungle Child" on the field at any point in time. If your opponent activates a Trap Card, or the effect of a card with "Trap" in its name, negate it immediately. If this monster was Special Summoned by the effect of "Mellaxis", if "Spellbound Beast King" or "Spellbound Aerial" are also on your side of the field, increase their ATK by the current ATK of this monster.

DznEU03.jpg

Too bad, so sad for single-type Decks. Even my Spellcaster Deck was defended by a few well-placed Warriors.

There may be only one "Spellbound Android" on the field at any point in time. When this monster is Special Summoned, declare a monster Type. As long as this monster is face-up on the field, all monsters on your opponent's side of the field of the declared Type have their effects negated. If this monster battles a monster of the declared Type, destroy only the other monster immediately (conduct damage calculation normally afterwards). If this monster was Special Summoned by the effect of "Mellaxis" and the "Spellbound" monster of the declared Type is face-up on your side of the field, this monster may not stop attacking until all monsters of the declared Type on your opponent's side of the field are destroyed. 

4T3xMml.jpg

Because a dinosaur that uses the dead as an attack method was too cool a concept to discard. Plus, it's a flying Tyrannosaur. You don't get much farther into the Rule of Cool.

There may be only one "Spellbound Pterrano" on the field at any point in time. This monster may only be Special Summoned from the Graveyard. This monster's ATK and DEF are treated as 200 times the number of cards in the Graveyard. If this monster is the only monster on your side of the field, it may attack your opponent's Life Points directly. If this monster was Special Summoned by the effect of "Mellaxis", every time this monster deals damage to your opponent's Life Points, your opponent flips their Deck face-down and discards the bottom (now top) card of their Deck to the Graveyard.

sIOYqfn.jpg

The Swarm Queen. Because I committed to every Type, damnit, and I meant it.

There may be only one "Spellbound Swarm Queen" on the field at any point in time. If your opponent declares an attack on this monster, roll a six-sided die. Increase this monster's ATK and DEF by 100 times the result. If the result is 1, destroy the attacking monster and negate ts attack. If this monster was Special Summoned by the effect of "Mellaxis", this monster gains an extra attack for every Spell Counter you remove from "Mellaxis". If you activate this effect, skip your next Draw Phase.

bf0ngz6.jpg

Say what you want, but I like Thorn Maiden's concept. I'm proud of her.

There may be only one "Spellbound Thorn Maiden" on the field at any point in time. As long as this card is face-up on the field, your opponent may not negate the Summon or effect of any of your monsters. Raise this monster's ATK and DEF by 100 times the number of Spell Counters on the field. If this monster was Special Summoned by the effect of "Mellaxis" and it or any "Spellbound" monster is an attack target, lower the attacking monster's ATK by 200 times the number of Plant-type and "Spellbound" monsters on the field (this card counts twice).

IEsglwM.jpg

Because "Lightning Vortex" and "Heavy Storm" being built into the same monster was too good an idea to pass up.

There may be only one "Spellbound Cloud Servant" on the field at any point in time. You may send his card from your side of the field or hand to destroy all monsters on your opponent's side of the field. Discard one card from your hand to the Graveyard to destroy all Spell and Trap Cards on the field. If this monster was Special Summoned by the effect of "Mellaxis", if "Mellaxis" or a "Spellbound" monster is in danger of leaving the field by your opponent's card effect, change the battle position of this card to change that target of that effect to any other card on the field.

zSEzmyf.jpg

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

There may be only one "Spellbound Golem" on the field at any point in time. This monster's base ATK and DEF are treated as being equal to its current Level times 400. Once per turn, you may change the Level of this monster to any value between 1 and 12. This monster may be used in place of any other monster for Fusion Summon- if you activate this effect, you do not need to activate "Polymerization" to initiate Fusion Summon. If this monster was Special Summoned by the effect of "Mellaxis" and is used to Summon a monster from your Extra Deck, Special Summon it and all other monsters used in the Summon back to your side of the field at the end of the turn (If this monster was used for Xyz Summon, wait until it is detached from the Xyz monster first.)

begAcwQ.jpg

This is why "Ascension of Mellaxis" can activate its full effect.

You may only activate this card if you have "Mellaxis" and at least two "Spellbound" monsters on your side of the field. For the rest of the current Duel, you have 7 Monster Card Zones and 7 Spell & Trap Card Zones.

EDIT: I FINISHED IT, MOMMY!

It's an interesting set, but the first card is just WAY too powerful - I mean, you get to just flat out summon whatever Spellbound monsters you want, for no cost and a condition that's insanely easy to satisfy? Seems a little broken.

Also, I can't read the rest of the cards/won't read them until you post lore.

well, first of all, you should write the effects underneath the cards so we could read the cards' effects clearly...

secondly.. if you intend to post cards without pictures in the future, then post them in written cards section...

Oh. Well, I intend to get them card art rather soon, I just need commentary on the cards so far.

Also, that was what I was in the process of when you posted that. I just posted the effects underneath my personal commentary.

okaay...

I'm waiting form you to post the effects so that I can review them, they sound intresting

your ocg is off,, but we gonna fix that ;)

now for the effects,, they're a little bit interesting, but also sooooo OP , limiting their numbers is not enough... you should add a cost or a restriction to balance them... really, you should!! 

Okay, so my card text needs tweaking.

What limits do you suggest? Hopefully nothing which would take away from the main themes behind each of them- for example, notice how Cloud Servant acts like "Lightning Vortex" and "Heavy Storm"? That's intentional.

But yeah, one of the main themes I went for is for each of them to already be strong on their own, but made even more powerful with Mellaxis at their side.

Okay, so my card text needs tweaking.

What limits do you suggest? Hopefully nothing which would take away from the main themes behind each of them- for example, notice how Cloud Servant acts like "Lightning Vortex" and "Heavy Storm"? That's intentional.

But yeah, one of the main themes I went for is for each of them to already be strong on their own, but made even more powerful with Mellaxis at their side.

the only suggestion is to add a heavy cost/restriction since you want them to keep their main themes...

Swordswoman?

She's just immune to all card effects that aren't from "Mellaxis" or "Spellbound" monsters. That is very easy to overcome on a 1700/1500 monster, especially when you can't increase her ATK and DEF with Equip Cards.

Actually you are very wrong.  I am new here but 1700/1500 and invincible is really too strong. I mean, there is a dude who was 1000/700 and is only invincible to level 4 or higher monsters. I know you want a good combo that cannot be negated, but you should really have a downside to her invincibility.  Yes, she can be destroyed by battle, but with attack negates like Mirror Force and Negate Attack, she can stay on the field for a while.  Plus, she gets 200 just by destroying an effect monster, which is most of the monsters in the game, and 1700 can easily over power most level 4 or lower effect monsters.  So please consider lowering her attack or perhaps making a limitation. (Also, try to make it so your cards can't be OP in generic decks or decks that aren't Mellaxis/Spellbound.  This will really stop the opness).

Slight bump, and a question:

If you had to construct a tournament Deck around the "Spellbound" set (no more than 3 of any card, no more than 10 Extra Deck cards, between 40-60 cards in your Deck proper), how would you construct it?

Rules for this: You must include at least 10 of the 20 "Spellbound" monsters, and "Studious Sorceror Mellaxis". It is recommended that you include "Invocation of Contract", but it is entirely optional.

If your Deck is interesting enough, I may give you a gift of Points!

Archived