Welcoming/Tutoring Project

Aix

I'd really like to give this a fancy name, but that'd just be confusing, so Welcoming/Tutoring Project it is. Unless one of you can come up with a better name.

Basically, it's where we personally interact with newcomers to make them feel welcome and tell them nicely how to make their cards better. How this will work is that we'll get a group of people who are willing to dedicate their time to talking with newbies and encouraging them while giving constructive criticism, then, we'll draft up a list of the newcomers and PM each of them individually while including everyone who signed up for this project in the PM. This way, whenever a newcomer has anything to say, there'll likely be someone online to respond to them.

Note that you will be talking to some eleven-year-olds, so I expect you to try to be patient.

Express your interest in helping with this below, please only apply if you are a 4 star Member whose been with us for more than 6 months. Also link to newcomers who you think would benefit from this below.

[spoiler=Project Members]

Copy-paste this into each message: Kyngpin, M・HERO Kokoga, M・HEROBlackLaw, M・HERO D-Ain, Toyo☆, Sakura Haruno, Striker, Zai-Guard, .Saber, Mugendramon, Harpie's Feather Duston, 

[/spoiler]
[spoiler=List of Newbies][/spoiler]

Can I mentor someone as well?

No offence, but you kind of ARE a newbie... And I don't think we should really be nominating new members, that just feels as if it's going to offend people more than anything. Let them come to us.

I think the OP needs a strict definition of what a mentor needs and what qualifies as a newbie.

What if you're not new but still want to have somebody better than you guide you to improvement?

PM any of the people on this list, including me if you want, to ask if they would like to become your mentor.

Oh, no. It wasn't for me. I'm competent enough myself when I actually care to catch up and it really just takes a few minutes of asking Miror whatever the hell is up with the game from a specific point in time I stopped playing. The question was merely to have you consider other possibilities. Instead of only improving those who come in recently, purifying the inherent community of what is tainting it is also a good idea.

Merely that.

Hey yo,

I'm... not volunteering for mentoring or anything here as I don't feel 1) I'm qualified enough in terms of being having absent from this section for a while, and also being mediocre at best when it comes to the TCG and 2) I have the time or dedication to give a mentoring role and it would be unfair to drop people. I'm just coming in with a suggestion:

See I've just been looking at cards from back when I used the cardmaker (like in 2010-11) and I've been looking at them and thinking "My god, some of these are awful/bad/broken to hell/complicated/don't work/borked/overpowered/underpowered" (delete as appropriate). I used to fancy myself at RC and still do Written Cards occasionally, but my word some of my older cards looking back, no wonder they got critisised. Something I, like many new members here when the cards they've worked so hard on and they think the world of get... overly-panned by some people let's say <_<, probably took about as badly at the time as some of them do now.

So what I'm suggesting is a user guide where some of the older and more experienced people who know what they're on about post old and bad cards they created back in the day when they were a novice (we were all at that stage once guys... :angry:) and make an analysis of our cards and say to new members "Right. This is what I made back then. This is why it looked awesome to me back then. But this is why it's bad design and always was. Here's how it can be improved."

That way the new members can see a snapshot of how us older people have identified the mistakes we've made before and learnt from them, how we've come on and got better from these cards, and they can see the progression, as well as things to avoid and how to properly analysis their work and such. Plus it might be pretty motivating to see that we all took knocks and kept going and did get better. Just an idea to which I'm of course happy to contribute to (I have a lot of cards I could contribute to <_<)

This isn't a big section for me so I don't mean to step on anyone's toes sorting this out or anything, but given we all recognise the cardmaker is the big bit of meat that gets people in and the rest of the site kinda forms around, the section does need to be looked after and I'm happy to help as well.

Also regarding Hina-chan's suggestion; I don't see any reason why rusty or out of practise or inexperienced older members shouldn't be able to get some tutoring as well, but the service should be primarily to help those most in need.

I'd like to throw my hat into the ring on this as well, if at all possible.

Though, I'm curious. Do we come to the newbies, or do the newbies come to us? Both approaches have their issues so I need this to be cleared first.

I think it would be more productive if we went to them, since it seems to me that new members would be less likely to seek us out and say "Help me" as opposed to just up and posting the new RDA-Starsust fusion they just made.

i'm kinda looking for help not with card making, but with ocg and not making op cards. cause my first card was good with the op thing but after that they were pretty bad with then op thing.

Well, not making OP'd cards falls into improving card making. Card Grammar allows us to understand the card, yet perfect Card Grammar isn't a requirement as long as it is clear as to what it is trying to accomplish. If you do need help with Card Grammar, I and the other people here can help you with that. Same with your card design issue.

the need and request for help is still there and trust me my ocg is sub par at best. 

OCG is not important if you're cards are understandable. At any rate, though, it'd save you a lot of trouble in terms of OCG if you just read this thread: http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/301087-ocg-thread-common-terms-and-phrases-other-useful-tips/ Then, if you have any remaining questions, we'd be happy to answer them.

I'll be able to send you the PM tomorrow and start the discussion, but it would be much appreciated if any of the other project members did so in my stead so I'm not the guy doing everything.

Sure, why not. I'll tutor.

Not really sure of any particular noobies, though.

Finally somebody gets it. A mentoring scheme is something that would help this section no end.

Also god damn it Koko and Black having nearly the same names et all! >=(

well this is a thing we're doing

and others are in on it

so

Archived