[Finished]Warrior-Type Contest [Lock]

Admiral Tim

I drew up the Normal Monster, but I'll try to get the Equip Spell done in the next two days:

[spoiler=Free Lancer]

RftjPNy.jpg

Lore: Failing to capitalize on contracts due to her meager capabilities, this headhunter changed her policies and now battles free of charge. Letting actions speak louder than words, she hopes to obtain valuable equipment, contracts, and connections through hard-fought victories.

[spoiler=Background]Tried to make a monster that ties in with my Round 1 entry, Shredhunter. I'm actually enjoying making these trenchcoated mercenaries, but we'll see where the next few rounds take me if I make it past this one. Hope the lore's interesting enough. Needed to explain why she couldn't charge Life Points as an Effect Monster. A larger image can be seen here: http://wightpower.deviantart.com/art/YGO-Free-Lancer-463948559[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Fine-Tuned Synchrosaw 3000]

nj5GP46.jpg

Lore: The equipped monster can be treated as a Tuner monster. While this card is equipped to a Normal Warrior-type monster, negate the effects of a monster that battles the equipped monster. While this card is equipped to "Free Lancer", increase the equipped monster's ATK by 1000. If a "Free Lancer" equipped with this card would be Tributed or sent to the Graveyard as Synchro Material: You can send this card to the Graveyard instead.

[spoiler=Background]This was surprisingly hard to come up with, and existing OCG didn't support my earlier ideas. I had a few plans to start tying these two cards together with Shredhunter, but the effects just came out weird. I'm moderately proud of the end result, though. I didn't want the Spell to only support Free Lancer, since she's too weak a monster to risk this turning into a dead draw without her. Instead, I came up with this whole "more specific monsters yield more powerful effects" type of effect, so even though any monster can be equipped with it, Free Lancer gets the most mileage out of it by far, and with the right assisting cards in your deck (or getting more than one Free Lancer on the field), you can summon Shredhunter and keep a Free Lancer alongside him for little cost. Enjoy![/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[spoiler='Here's my cards']
B8rK5dF.jpg
Lore:
This almighty warrior had his very soul refined by the nature long time ago. Legend says he beat the most powerful dragon ruler, Blaster and acquired one of its treasure, the crimson sword with the essence of the fire dragon lord itself.

Vjviuc0.jpg
Lore:
Equip only to a FIRE Warrior-Type non-Effect Monster. It gains 1000 ATK and DEF. If this face-up card is sent to the Graveyard: You can destroy 1 card on the field. During your Main Phase: You can target 1 "Knight of the Flame Dragon - Horyu" you control; send 1 "Blaster, Dragon Ruler of Infernos" from your hand or Deck to the Graveyard, and if you do, equip this card from your Deck or Graveyard to that target. You can only control 1 "Sword of Flame Dragon - Infernos".
[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Round 2 Entry']
[spoiler='Heaven Guardian']
pXJ2ctK.jpg

Surpassed the darkness in his heart, this fallen knight who betrayed and got killed by the king of noble arms now becomes the guardian of heaven who wields the celestial sword to protect the realm of divinity.

[/spoiler]
[spoiler='Heavenly Arms - Saintcalibur']
lmaUqVM.jpg

(This card is always treated as a "Noble Arms" card.)
When this card is activated: Special Summon 1 "Heaven Guardian" from your hand or Graveyard and equip this card to it. The equipped monster gain 500 ATK and DEF. If the equipped monster is a Normal Monster, it cannot be targeted or destroyed by your opponent's card effects. If the equipped monster is the only monster you control, Equip Spell Card(s) equips to it cannot be targeted or destroyed by your opponent's card effects.

[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

[spoiler='My card']

ONAFDxl.jpg

Lore:

2 Level 4 monsters
You can Xyz Summon this card during either player's turn. Once per turn, during either player's Main Phase: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; have this face-up Attack Position monster declare an attack on 1 of your opponent's monster. When this card attacks: It gains 500 ATK until the End Phase. If this card is destroyed by your opponent's card (either by battle or by card effect) and sent to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower monster from your hand, and if you do, destroy 1 card on the field.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Round 3 Entry']

o476wcC.jpg

2 Level 4 DARK monsters
If a "Phantom Knights" or "Dark Rebellion" monster attacks, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step, also inflict piercing Battle Damage to your opponent if it attacks a Defense Position monster. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can detach 2 Xyz Materials from this card; destroy up to 2 Spell/Trap Cards on the field, and if you do, "Phantom Knights" monsters you control gain 2000 ATK.

btw here's the links for another Phantom Knights and Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler='3rd Round Entry']
994999R4FiendishCrusaderofDemise.png

2 Level 4 DARK monsters
When this card is Xyz Summoned: You can target 1 Warrior-type monster in the graveyard(s); Special Summon that target in face-up Attack position (That monster’s effects are negated.) When this card declares an attack while it has Xyz materials: Both players must reveal their hand. This card gains 200 ATK for each Spell/Trap card revealed this way during damage calculation only. During each of your End Phases; Detach 1 Xyz material from this card.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Round 3 Entry]

dV21WVa.jpg

2 Level 4 "Battlin' Boxer" monsters

If this card declares an attack: Detach all Xyz Materials from it(min. 1); increase this card's ATK to 1000 more than the opponent's monster, and your opponent cannot activate any card effects and the effects of all face-up cards on their side of the field are negated until the end of the Damage Step. If this card has no Xyz Materials attached to it; you can attach it to this card to a face-up "Battlin' Boxer" monster as an Xyz Material monster.
[spoiler=Note]
For those of you who don't know, a 'Haymaker' is a boxer's last resort to lay out an opponent.
[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Here goes nothing:

[spoiler=Threadhunter]

ZcehYlc.jpg

Effect: 2 Level 3 monsters

When this card is Xyz Summoned, you can attach any Warrior-type monsters on your field or in your hand to this card as Xyz Material. When this card destroys a monster by battle: Attach the destroyed monster to this card as Xyz Material. This card gains 200 ATK and DEF for each Xyz Material attached to it. If this card is destroyed by battle: Both players take damage equal to half this card's ATK.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=background]

Tried to combine a few different ideas into this one. Originally, it was going to be based on Sword Hunter, but, you know, with scissors. My attempts at Sword Hunter's pose were terrible, so I opted for this instead, which I like because it actually shows threads about to be cut. I tried for a ton of double meaning with this one. Not just physical threads, but also forum threads, and as such, attachments to posts in the form of attaching Xyz Material. Gather data, gather monsters, gather power, etc. This is definitely the most eldritch and inhuman of the trench-coated mercenaries I've been making for this contest, but I like how it came out. Going along with its supernatural nature, I wanted its payment to be different from charging Life Points, instead bartering in the souls of the monsters you offer it as Xyz Material. Making it more powerful the more you pay it, but it can backfire on you if your Life Points are low.

I noticed a few others in this round not giving their Xyz Monsters any detachment effects, and I'm not sure if they forgot them or not, but I did it intentionally. Threadhunter is forced to hold on to its Materials like a miser, and when it's destroyed in combat, stockpiling too many Materials can bite either player in the rear. Anyway, this all started as a Sword Hunter knock off, and I hope you like how I modified and added to the effect.
[/spoiler]

Before I make this announcement I'd like again to stress how great these cards were.  You guys are phenomenal card makers and you make it very hard to be a judge.  That being said I had to make a decision on the two who were eliminated.  One decision was even harder because they had tied scores with another contestant and I had to personally pick which one I liked more.  Very well done!

Eliminated:

Unending Empire

Aqua Hina

No hard feelings here, both cards were great but not perfect.  I hope to see you in future endeavours! 

[spoiler=My Entry]

OxqzVOY.jpg

1 Tuner monster + 1 or more non-Tuner monster(s)
This card can also be Synchro Summoned by detaching all the Xyz Materials from a face-up WATER monster you control(min. 1). Then, if you do: Target face-up Attack Position monsters  your opponent controls up to the number of Xyz Materials detached to Summon this card; change those monsters to face-down Defense Position. Once per turn: You can destroy 1 face-down card your opponent controls. If you do, this card cannot declare an attack this turn.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Round 4 Entry']

aF5vy9T.jpg

Lore:

Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can send 1 WATER monster you control or in your hand to the Graveyard; send 1 card your opponent controls or in their hand to the Graveyard. Once during the turn you activated this effect, if this face-up card would be destroyed by battle or by card effect, it is not destroyed.

[/spoiler]

Round 4 Entry:

[spoiler=Great White Hunter]

xx8soif.jpg

Effect: 1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters

If this card attacks an opponent's monster: You can pay 600 Life Points; destroy the monster with this card's effect without applying damage calculation. When this card attacks or is attacked, your opponent cannot Special Summon monsters until the end of the Damage Step.

[spoiler=background]It's a pun on the "Great White Hunter" trope that pith helmets made famous. Actually a really fun image to draw (you can find it here:http://wightpower.deviantart.com/art/YGO-Great-White-Hunter-466157674 ), but I had a really hard time trying to find a balance for its effect. The OCG should be correct, since I ripped it off of the most recent OCG from real cards on the wiki, but maybe you can find some errors. The ATK and DEF are based off of "Great White", except the ATK is 1000 points higher. I realized at the end of this that this would've made more sense as a Beast-Warrior, but whatever. If "Hungry Burger" counts as a warrior, I think this can count, too. I tried to make its effect that of a hunter, paying it Life Points to knock off the prey it's stalking, regardless of the beast's power. It doesn't need to be paid upfront like the previous mercenaries I've made, instead only accepting payment during the hunt itself.[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Archived